“Decent Hotel in Incheon”

Ramada Songdo Hotel
Ranked #62 of 106 Hotels in Incheon
Cape Canaveral, Florida
“Decent Hotel in Incheon”
Reviewed 4 November 2012

First off, the hotel driver was supposed to pick me up at the airport. Didn't happen. A coworker I ran into in the airport had rented a car and drove me to the hotel. The manager did send me an email apologizing though.

My observations:
The food at the breakfast buffet was good but not hot. There was a variety of western and Korean dishes available. The restaurant can fill up pretty quickly and not much seating for singles or couples (mainly large tables).

Seems like a decent location with many restaurants nearby although I didn't have time to check them out.

The hallway outside my room was pitch black. I don't know if there was a light out or what.

The air conditioner is not individual controlled. The hotel turned it off so I was unable to even run the fan to circulate air in the room. I had to open the window when it was 40F outside to get fresh air. There is also a fair amount of street noise so try to stay on the back side of the building.

Small bathroom.

Older decor.

Room service was OK. The meals were delivered reasonably quickly but could have been better tasting.

Parking in the main lot can be a problem. It's not very big.

The bed was harder than I like but some may like that.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 18 August 2012

I stayed here recently for three nights on a business trip, and the hotel basically had everything you'd need. It has at least three restaurants and there were plenty more within walking distance. It's pretty close to the airport. The rooms were fine. Price was not too high. Pretty good hotel fitness center in the basement. Buffet breakfast had Western and Asian selections. Not somewhere I'd have a long stay as a tourist, but if you're in Incheon for a few days or need somewhere to stay overnight near the airport, it's a good choice.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I am from Europe but live in Seoul. I recently had reason with some colleagues also foreigners, to stay here for over a week on business.

First the good points.

Good

*Room rate reasonable.
*Standard room was adequate and clean.
*Bed comfortable.
*Room ladies (housekeeping) helpful.
*No extra charges for phone calls from room at weekend.
*Sea view on one side.

Bad

*Bathroom sink not properly fixed to wall.
*An insect on the bathroom floor on three different days although in Korea in the summer this is perhaps not that uncommon and I can not compare with other hotels here.

*Front desk staff quite helpful but completely lacking in information about the local area, public transport, banks etc.Nearly every question I asked had to be looked up on the internet.

*Breakfast buffet on 12th floor adequate although the whole place bizarrely lacking in knives, there were 4 beside the only toaster in the place (which incidentally had room for just two slices of bread which caused a queue on the one and only day I ate there). My colleague informed me that earlier in the week there were no knives at all anywhere on the whole floor and he had to ask for one to butter his toast.

*The 'Business Centre' is a tiny room off the lobby with two computers, a scanner, photocopier and printer.
All instructions are in Korea. The computers shut down without warning and you have to re log in regularly. Don't attempt anything too ambitious. The mouse of one computer was missing ( making it unusable) for about 4 days despite me asking many times about it.

*Laundry service on holidays. Self service was available with coin operated machines.

*There is a nightclub in the basement advertised throughout the hotel and written on the brass plate beside B1 in the lift (elevator).
When I asked about the nightclub at the front desk they told me there was no club in the basement but private karaoke rooms.
I asked again later about it to someone else at the front desk and the man told me there was a club but continued to tell me how expensive it was and wasn't exactly encouraging me to visit.

On my last night in the hotel I ventured down and was told at the door "no foreigners", the man actually came close to physically pushing me out. I pressed the issue by asking him why? and another man inside the door who could speak a bit of English told me that I had to be a member. When I asked how do I become a member he switched to telling me how expensive it was and proceeded to show me all kinds of outrageous prices on a calculator. By this stage there were three of them trying to come up with something to say to me.
Eventually, by them not getting their desired reaction of me turning round and walking out, one of the 'hostesses' with a marginal more grasp of English, was summoned and she used the word ' prefer' as in "we prefer no foreigners". I told the, by then, throng round me that I was a guest in the hotel and this was not very appropriate or welcoming behaviour to which an apology was forced by the second person out of the first man at the door who started to bow and apologise to me many times.
By the end of it all, they were going to reluctantly let me in and asked was I going to be paying by cash or credit card, I left.
When I told another colleague about this, he said that one of the guys I described had spoken perfect English to him on a previous night while also refusing him entry because he was a foreigner.

For those of you unfamiliar with aspects of Korea culture, these kind of places (clubs/singing rooms catering solely to Korean men offering various 'services') are quite common here. What is bad in this case is to have such a place operating out of and advertised throughout an internationally known brand hotel. This is certainly not a nightclub as we know it in the west as I possibly thought there might have been a chance of it being so because of its location.

*Many kids constantly running about the lobby.

*The website gives the impression the hotel is quite close to the airport, it isn't and there is no shuttle bus service. The nearest public transport is a bus stop a 10 minute walk away and you will also need to get a bus from here if you want to get to the nearest metro station, Dongchun. Number 8 for those of you interested. Incheon airport from Dongchun station takes 1 hour and 20 minutes.

*The nearby restaurants are pricey by Korean standards and are geared mostly towards Asian tourists as are the bars in the immediate vicinity.

*Finally nothing to do nearby unless you are into climbing hills!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank Asia-resident
Aledo, Illinois
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I was in 2 different rooms in the 2 nights. One was a pricier units and one was the standard room. The rooms were the same size, but the pricier room had a king bed and the standard had 2 twins. Neither one was that "roomy". The bed was comfortable. I did not loose sleep due to bedding issues. The only meal I had at the hotel was the breakfast. It was a buffet or a menu. I did both. The buffet was roughly half the items as I would eat. The other half for other world breakfast flavors. For the price, it was better for me to order off the menu.
There was one English language TV station, CNN. So review your Korean before you go. I do not know if this is typical as this was the only place I stayed while in Korean.
There where other places to eat close by. We visited a few. If you like to walk hills. This is a good area. There are lots of hills one can navigate.
I'm not sure about the value. Everything seemed a bit pricy in Korea.

Room Tip: The superior room charge did not seem worth it unless a king bed is mandatory. It is likely cheaper...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Jinju, South Korea
Reviewed 30 June 2012

I stayed at Ramada for early morning flight. I was upgraded to executive room. It was clean, nice, anc comfortable. There was a lan cable for free internet on the desk. Taxi driver asked 40,000 won to Incheon airport. It's just 3,000~4,000 won more than meter rate including toll fee. You can not access to subway from this hotel. However, I think this hotel is the best in Incheon city when considering its resonable price.

Room Tip: Ask upgrade to executive room if available. I think it will work.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
portsmouth
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I was in Korea 2 weeks ago on a business trip and my contact in KR put us in this hotel as it was close to their factory. All in all it was great value about £65 a night including breakfast, it is a bit out of the way and we did struggle to order a beer in the bar at 8PM as there was no one there and it looked like there was one girl running the whole area...including room service. Breakfast was great and overall quality and cleanliness of the hotel was fine...could nt complain, the staff were friendly and reception were ok with english ...handy as my Korean is non existent.
I would stay here again...as it was functional and cheap which is what I am after when away with work.

Room Tip: brush up on your basic Korean.....
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 2 May 2012

I spent three days at the hotel and found the staff friendly and helpful, although maids had limited or no English skills, this was common for all establishments in and around the hotel. One disturbing situation was being told we could not enter the basement bar as it was for "Koreans" only, had this been stated in Australia there would be an outcry of racism, front page news story, we laughed and went else where. In general room was clean and well serviced, breakfast on the top floor was good. Front desk staff and Business co-ordinator where very good. The Korean menu in the Korean restaurant was good value and quality.

Room Tip: generally the higher the better
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business