“It could be improved”

Ramada Songdo Hotel
Ranked #75 of 108 Hotels in Incheon
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I am not a frequent world traveler but I believe my experience may be an exception. My stay was 10 days in late April 2013
1) The sheets were cleaned.
2) My co-worker returned to his room after a very late night dinner and found it was occupied by other tenants.
3) Due to his displeasure, I was upgraded from a common room, 4th floor, to an executive suite on the 11th floor. There were some differences but the biggest for me was the little room fridge was enclosed and so it made the room more quiet.
4) My room temp was a constant 73 F or above. They informed me that they do not turn on the AC until mid May and to cool my room, I needed to shut off the AC and open my window. Luckily outside temp was in the mid 50-60’s.F. Funny thing is the lobby was cold enough to wear a coat and the personnel working at the desks had heaters.
5) They allow smoking in non-smoking rooms. I could smell the smoke from the neighboring room. To remove the smell, the maid offered to spray air freshener in my room and still allow the neighbor to continue smoking. I did point out the little “No Smoking” sign on both room doors.
6) It looked like gum stuck in the carpet. It’s been there for quite some time.
7) Odor from the bathroom. It seemed that when the neighboring bathroom used their toilet, colored water entered into my toilet. Yes, a simple flush took care of the smell.
8) Lighting – It’s probably a government legal issue, but the lighting is faint in the rooms.
9) The crystals on the chandeliers in the restaurant are covered with blackness. Not to mention about the windows haven’t been cleaned for some time.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank MichaelB050460
큐, 제너럴 매니저 at Ramada Songdo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2013

Dear MichaelB050460,

Thank you very much for your review, and we are very sorry about all the issues.

First of all, I am very sorry about your co-worker's situation. I know that room upgrade is not enough to show our apologies. We recently had few problem with out system, but such incident should not happen at the first place. I am very sorry again. For facility issues, they take time but we are planning to improve step by step. We also are trying to renovate the hotel to give customers more pleasant experience staying at our Hotel. We also are troubled over smoking issue. However, we will soon come up with a solution. Until then, I will let our maids know about this issue so that they can improve for better and cleaner service.

Even though we have our weaknesses that we need to solve very quickly, we will continue doing our best to support customers to enjoy staying in out hotel.

Once again, we are very sorry and thank you for sharing your comments, and we look forward to your next visit in Korea and check in at our hotel to provide better services. Thank you.

Reviewed 1 January 2013

I stayed in hotel for 3 nights with family. It is too ordinary hotel with BRAND name. Far from city ,Seoul , there is no information from desk regarding facilities available , distances and ATM kiosks. Staff specially desk do not speak or understand English . One has to enact mime many times to make understand and you are not sure, if you have succeeded . Branded hotel does not cater vegetarian food and you are not sure what you are eating and end up in not eating. No bell boy service . No attractions nearby except Chinatown . Had to travel to Seoul by spending lot of money. Rooms are o k but bathroom is stinking and insects running. Only good point is Internet.

Room Tip: English speaking staff so that you can express what you desire or else you have to take what they gi...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
큐, General Manager at Ramada Songdo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2013

Dear supremecheme,

From reviews, we are trying to solve our problems and improve
For those service issues, we try to improve through education programs so that our staff can provide better and clean service with smile. Also, we currently are trying to provide better quality food and beverage with designing new menu selections. We will also try to provide information about facilities and other matters. At least, we will be well-prepared to answer our customers' questions.

Currently, we may not be one of your top hotels, yet. However, we will keep trying to become one of your list. We promise you that we will show you changes.

Reviewed 21 November 2012

First of all, the staff in the lobby was not too friendly and speak limited English. The hotel room was not bad and they provided 2 bottles of water. Restaurants and shops are available both inside and outside the hotel. Good for business but not for tourists.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 November 2012

First off, the hotel driver was supposed to pick me up at the airport. Didn't happen. A coworker I ran into in the airport had rented a car and drove me to the hotel. The manager did send me an email apologizing though.

My observations:
The food at the breakfast buffet was good but not hot. There was a variety of western and Korean dishes available. The restaurant can fill up pretty quickly and not much seating for singles or couples (mainly large tables).

Seems like a decent location with many restaurants nearby although I didn't have time to check them out.

The hallway outside my room was pitch black. I don't know if there was a light out or what.

The air conditioner is not individual controlled. The hotel turned it off so I was unable to even run the fan to circulate air in the room. I had to open the window when it was 40F outside to get fresh air. There is also a fair amount of street noise so try to stay on the back side of the building.

Small bathroom.

Older decor.

Room service was OK. The meals were delivered reasonably quickly but could have been better tasting.

Parking in the main lot can be a problem. It's not very big.

The bed was harder than I like but some may like that.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 August 2012

I stayed here recently for three nights on a business trip, and the hotel basically had everything you'd need. It has at least three restaurants and there were plenty more within walking distance. It's pretty close to the airport. The rooms were fine. Price was not too high. Pretty good hotel fitness center in the basement. Buffet breakfast had Western and Asian selections. Not somewhere I'd have a long stay as a tourist, but if you're in Incheon for a few days or need somewhere to stay overnight near the airport, it's a good choice.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 August 2012

I am from Europe but live in Seoul. I recently had reason with some colleagues also foreigners, to stay here for over a week on business.

First the good points.

Good

*Room rate reasonable.
*Standard room was adequate and clean.
*Bed comfortable.
*Room ladies (housekeeping) helpful.
*No extra charges for phone calls from room at weekend.
*Sea view on one side.

Bad

*Bathroom sink not properly fixed to wall.
*An insect on the bathroom floor on three different days although in Korea in the summer this is perhaps not that uncommon and I can not compare with other hotels here.

*Front desk staff quite helpful but completely lacking in information about the local area, public transport, banks etc.Nearly every question I asked had to be looked up on the internet.

*Breakfast buffet on 12th floor adequate although the whole place bizarrely lacking in knives, there were 4 beside the only toaster in the place (which incidentally had room for just two slices of bread which caused a queue on the one and only day I ate there). My colleague informed me that earlier in the week there were no knives at all anywhere on the whole floor and he had to ask for one to butter his toast.

*The 'Business Centre' is a tiny room off the lobby with two computers, a scanner, photocopier and printer.
All instructions are in Korea. The computers shut down without warning and you have to re log in regularly. Don't attempt anything too ambitious. The mouse of one computer was missing ( making it unusable) for about 4 days despite me asking many times about it.

*Laundry service on holidays. Self service was available with coin operated machines.

*There is a nightclub in the basement advertised throughout the hotel and written on the brass plate beside B1 in the lift (elevator).
When I asked about the nightclub at the front desk they told me there was no club in the basement but private karaoke rooms.
I asked again later about it to someone else at the front desk and the man told me there was a club but continued to tell me how expensive it was and wasn't exactly encouraging me to visit.

On my last night in the hotel I ventured down and was told at the door "no foreigners", the man actually came close to physically pushing me out. I pressed the issue by asking him why? and another man inside the door who could speak a bit of English told me that I had to be a member. When I asked how do I become a member he switched to telling me how expensive it was and proceeded to show me all kinds of outrageous prices on a calculator. By this stage there were three of them trying to come up with something to say to me.
Eventually, by them not getting their desired reaction of me turning round and walking out, one of the 'hostesses' with a marginal more grasp of English, was summoned and she used the word ' prefer' as in "we prefer no foreigners". I told the, by then, throng round me that I was a guest in the hotel and this was not very appropriate or welcoming behaviour to which an apology was forced by the second person out of the first man at the door who started to bow and apologise to me many times.
By the end of it all, they were going to reluctantly let me in and asked was I going to be paying by cash or credit card, I left.
When I told another colleague about this, he said that one of the guys I described had spoken perfect English to him on a previous night while also refusing him entry because he was a foreigner.

For those of you unfamiliar with aspects of Korea culture, these kind of places (clubs/singing rooms catering solely to Korean men offering various 'services') are quite common here. What is bad in this case is to have such a place operating out of and advertised throughout an internationally known brand hotel. This is certainly not a nightclub as we know it in the west as I possibly thought there might have been a chance of it being so because of its location.

*Many kids constantly running about the lobby.

*The website gives the impression the hotel is quite close to the airport, it isn't and there is no shuttle bus service. The nearest public transport is a bus stop a 10 minute walk away and you will also need to get a bus from here if you want to get to the nearest metro station, Dongchun. Number 8 for those of you interested. Incheon airport from Dongchun station takes 1 hour and 20 minutes.

*The nearby restaurants are pricey by Korean standards and are geared mostly towards Asian tourists as are the bars in the immediate vicinity.

*Finally nothing to do nearby unless you are into climbing hills!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank Asia-resident
Reviewed 9 July 2012

I was in 2 different rooms in the 2 nights. One was a pricier units and one was the standard room. The rooms were the same size, but the pricier room had a king bed and the standard had 2 twins. Neither one was that "roomy". The bed was comfortable. I did not loose sleep due to bedding issues. The only meal I had at the hotel was the breakfast. It was a buffet or a menu. I did both. The buffet was roughly half the items as I would eat. The other half for other world breakfast flavors. For the price, it was better for me to order off the menu.
There was one English language TV station, CNN. So review your Korean before you go. I do not know if this is typical as this was the only place I stayed while in Korean.
There where other places to eat close by. We visited a few. If you like to walk hills. This is a good area. There are lots of hills one can navigate.
I'm not sure about the value. Everything seemed a bit pricy in Korea.

Room Tip: The superior room charge did not seem worth it unless a king bed is mandatory. It is likely cheaper...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business