“Needs management help”

Ranked #28 of 87 Hotels in Seogwipo
Boulder, Colorado
“Needs management help”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

This hotel is off the beaten path. It does have a jacuzzi in every room, and I think a small kitchen (mine did). You get a full breakfast buffet (8-10), but then you are on your own. They have a very small store in the basement so you can buy 'noodles' and other such things and cook for yourself, or you can take a walk into the small nearby town, which is maybe 1/2 mile away.

I think something funny is going on at this hotel. Maybe under new management. The rooms are clean, but the hallway rugs are all warped and stained, like it was flooded. There seems to be a shortage of personnel, you have to go to the desk to get someone to unlock the store. While they show pictures of a spa on-line and have a big sign in the lobby, it is not opened unless you make an appointment at least 2 hours in advance. (I did this and got a great Thai massage and facial.) The 'business center' is an empty room with a desk and chair. There is no art on the walls. The pool was being filled when I arrived, although I doubt people do much outdoor swimming on Jeju until June. They expect you to wash any dishes you use in your room. All rooms have balconies but no furniture (you can drag out your dining chairs).

It is right off the #10 Olleh trail, which is great, because when I arrived at 1, they would not check me in until 3 (I must have forgotten). So I just left my bags at the front desk and took off on the trail for a couple hours.

This makes this hotel very hard to rate. If you want solitude with easy access to olleh trail and a nice private beach (not the first one you find, the one another 100 or so yards west), you'll be fine. If you have a car, it would help for eating - or grocery shopping.

All the help was nice and did their best, but spoke very little english, I was told be to be at the desk at 6:50 AM for my taxi to the airport, but the desk didn't open until 7 (if my flight was earlier, I would have been in a fix), eventually they showed up and called for a taxi. Overall I think this place is overpriced until they get their act together-almost like a very fancy hostel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Korean first
Petaling Jaya, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

We booked the hotel about 2 weeks before we were to travel and it was the only one available as all other hotels were fully booked. So it was a bit of a splurge.

The resort is located on the southwest side of the island. About 40 minutes from the airport. It's a bit secluded from any other hotels. Could be a good or bad thing depending on how you see it. The hotel is beautiful and modern though. We booked the Jacuzzi Suite. I think it's the only 2 bedroom suite with an outdoor Jacuzzi. The living room was spacious and the view was breathtaking. I loved just sitting at the balcony enjoying the sea breeze at night. It had a kitchen so it was perfect as we sometimes needed to cook ourselves. The beds were really comfortable and each had very new huge Samsung LCD TVs. Great thing about Korean hotels is that most of the new ones have those electronic bidets. Breakfast was included and had a great mix of continental as well as Korean style buffet. They were delicious. The resort also has a convenience store, spa and other facilities that we didn't get to experience though.

On to the minor hiccups. As there were 4 of us and it was a 2 bedroom suite, I had no idea why there were only 2 large towels provided. Maybe Koreans indeed don't use large towels. But of course this was easily solved with a call to housekeeping. The Jacuzzi we had was leaking to the point that water was seeping into the main bedroom. The swimming pool looked like it hasn't been cleaned in a while, though we didn't really cared as it was raining most days during our visit. They didn't have iron either so we made a makeshift iron using pans provided.

In terms of services, the receptionists don't really speak English well. They had to call in one of their workers to speak to us about getting around the island. Luckily they can call for taxi for hire service from the hotel as we had no idea how to travel around and where to go. The staffs are friendly and helpful though. Getting to the nearest supermarket/restaurant would take about 5 minutes by taxi. You can also venture to the beach by walking on the Olle trail. The beach opposite the hotel is nothing to be excited about but if you walk further into the trail you would get to see a more beautiful beach.

Overall, you'll love the hotel if you just want a place you can relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery of Jeju.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

I stayed for 2 nights here with my friend. The resort has a great view of the ocean and mountain. The rooms are spacious, contemporary and there's even a jacuzzi in every bathroom! The staff are very helpful and friendly, even if most of them find it hard to understand English.

I must especially command the man who seems to be the restaurant manager. He speaks very good English and he helped us all the way to even book a tour taxi for us and briefed the taxi driver where to go etc.

Location might be a bit too far and the restaurant should have more variety (right now they only have fried chicken and sausages on their menu!). But other than that, its really great. Its true that people do make a difference! Kudos to the staff of Y Resort!

Room Tip: Ask for the room with a nice view. They will give it to you and the view is breathtaking....