“gorgeous.”

and 1 more site!
Lilly Village Boutique Hotel
Ranked #34 of 67 Bentota B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We were totally unprepared for how lovely Lilly Village is, when we got our of the tuk tuk, tired and dirty after a long train journey. We were led through the tranquil garden, to the open dining area and given tea and cold drinks. The rooms are peaceful and the ' open air' bathrooms are elegant, with all you need including a hairdryer.

Breakfast - fruit plates, toast and eggs was lovely. My only criticism is that there is no-one on the premises between 7pm and 7am so early morning or late night cups of tea etc are unavailable.
It is 5 minute walk to the 5km beach.
The staff are charming and the decor of the communal spaces is beautiful. We will be back again.

Room Tip: we preferred the room that didn't have a bathroom adjacent to the one next door.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 January 2014

We had the pleasure of staying here for a few days over Christmas, and we weren't disappointed. Everything pleased, from the beautiful decor, garden, amazing food, outdoor bathroom, attentive staff, charming animals; would return again! Was disappointed not to have spoken with the owner.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 January 2014

The atmosphere in Lilly Village is one of calm, tranquility and serenity. It makes you want to relax. The grounds are fabulous and lots of places to sit, put your feet up, read a book or just be!!!!

Lilly Village has the feeling of a very secluded guest house, yet it is only 5 minutes walk to a beautiful white sandy beach. We stayed in Lilly Village for three nights over Christmas, as the first leg of our trip in Sri Lanka and it was exactly what we needed/were looking for.

On arrival the staff were very welcoming and organised a chef to cook dinner for us that evening even though we arrived late afternoon.

As a previous comment states we were taken straight in to the office on arrival, however it was not to pay upfront (as you have to do this when booking), but to fill in our details as I think is legal requirement for hotels.

Though the rooms are compact (we stayed in lily blue, room 2), the communal area makes up for it as you don't need to be in your room with such lovely surrounding other than to sleep. As I said before there are plenty of places to sit and relax in privacy away from the other guests.

The staff were excellent, very well managed and couldn't do enough to help us, without being overpowering. So polite and attentive. The manager, Indika, couldn't be more helpful and he even came in on his day off to allow us check out later than planned. The food was fantastic!! The best food we had in Sri Lanka. Delicious fresh local ingredients. Much better quality and taste than the 5 star hotel we tried at the beach front.

The only thing we could fault was the owner. She didn't communicate with us at all and didn't seem very pleasant to her staff. I don’t believe this was a cultural difference as she is French.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Me & my wife are avid travelers who started off as backpackers & now like to stay in boutique hotels every once in a while. I'm so glad we stayed at Lilly Village, a tastefully done hotel with such tranquility that I can spend time writing a book. Our room came with a nice private balcony. The owner of this place is aesthetically extremely sound, must say. The entire decor, the french lounge music, mouth-watering omelettes, fresh fruits, friendly staff made our stay a memorable one. Highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2014

This is an account of my stay in the Lilly Village.

We arrived on time and were welcomed by the staff then led into the office and immediately asked to pay for the two nights stay upfront. I thought at that this was unusual but, hey no problem.
So we paid and only then we were taken to the room. It was then that I understood why they ask you to pay upfront. It was absolutely tiny, No A/C ( it is an ECO Property of course) and barely room to put the suitcase in. I then went to take a shower in the outside bathroom, but there was no hot water. Upon speaking to the other guests they did not have hot water either. It was too hot to sleep in the box room.

It is worth pointing out in the interest of fairness that the grounds are elegant and stylish outside the rooms and in the common areas
Anyway, next morning I asked to fix the hot water and or change rooms but was told they were fully booked. So bad luck.
On the day of checkout. one of the staff members Indika told us that as we had had issues we could stay in the room until our checkout at 9.30pm.

Great we thought.

We went out for the day and came back at around 7.30 pm. I tried to open the door to our room and was startled to hear a woman's voice inside. I asked what they were doing in our room and she shouted back that it was her room and had been there for some time.
I went to the office and before i could say anything i was told to sit down. The chap then told me that some new guests had arrived and so they had removed our stuff and put it somewhere else. I was horrified,as we had been told we could stay till 9.30 pm we had not packed our things away or closed our suitcases. So in essence someone had come in to our room, removed our personal items without our permission and we were chucked out of our room despite being told that we could have the room until 9.30pm

I was understandably angry and told the guy that this was frankly unbelievable. He apologised and said it was his fault but he had no choice. I asked to see the manager but was told that she was unavailable.

The next part is where it gets even more incredible. This Indika then proceeded to tell me that it was actually my fault that this had happened as this was a Eco resort, I should have been sat around reading and not going out and asked me where I had been all day. None of your business I retorted. And besides I was told 9.30pm checkout so had planned accordingly. I was standing in the lobby area all covered in sand and sweat obviously expecting to take a shower before I left and was now stuck looking at this person.

Fortunately we were with other guests so we used their room to shower and change, this would have not been a problem other than the fact we were told we could stay in the room and had left our personal belongings out in the room which had been handled and moved by god knows who.

After i got ready to leave I saw that the manager ( who was unavailable apparently) was sat at the dining area eating dinner. So I told this Indika chap to go and get her. He then changed tack to the sympathy vote. Please sir I will lose my job sir, please do not speak to her. Considering myself a reasonably decent human being I decided not to, as by this stage I just wanted to get out of there.

Upon reflection I believe that this was a ruse. He was probably told to say this to avoid a confrontation in front of the other guests. As a point of order I told him again about the lack of hot water that the room was tiny with poor ventilation and he responded that there was a room plan on the website! This is clearly not the first time people had complained. so i advise you to check the floor plan carefully before deciding on this place.

So to sum up this place was poor value for money, Tiny room, with rude and unprofessional staff. Gets one star as there is no option of putting zero.

On the plus side they have a nice dog and cat that live there and unlike the other reviewer rating this' terrible' we were not held against our will.

I have traveled extensively and stayed in Bentota several times in other hotels/ lodges and this was the only bad experience I have had with the generally friendly and helpful hoteliers and people of this beautiful island. Shame.

Room Tip: Try a different hotel. Avoid Lilly Blue rooms like the black death.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Adven2ure
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Me and husband stayed here for just a night but we were pleasantly surprised as the place actually looks as great as their website! Peaceful setting amidst a quite lane and beautifully done up. Lovely service by the staff. If you hate the typical hotel experience this is the place to be!!!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FBKalra
Reviewed 14 April 2013

I spent only one night at Lilly Village but was impress by the very helpful owner and staff. Interested to go diving tomorrow? – We can arrange it for you. Need wireless modem – here it is. It is not the ocean front property but very well designed and maintained. Have a nice stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo