“home away from home”
Review of Panchi Villa

Panchi Villa
Reviewed 18 January 2013

We arrived and were greated in the best maner.
Our room was big and confy, it had the necessary for our stay.
The villa is very well maintained, the pool and pool area are great for kids and relaxation.
Proximiy to the beach and accessability is good.
It was the perfect place for our long 12 days stay.
The highlight though is the staf, they are very friendly and attentive to any request, they love children and our kids were trated like royalty.
The restaurat was above average and very flexible, we asked for things not on the menu and the chef was happy to do, my wife even got some free cooking lessons.
very recommanded for a relaxed stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 17 January 2013

The rooms were modern and bathroom really spacious and well-equipped. The swimming pool was just across the room terrace, from the ground floor. Since there are only 9-10 rooms in the hotel, there were very few people at any given point in time at the swimming pool / restaurant / spa. It seemed as if we were in a single large house with a few more rooms than usual, and very nice amenities Beach is just across the road (2 min walk) although we went mostly to the private beach that Panchi co-owns with Wunderbar resort and that's a short tuk tuk ride away or about 15 mins of walking.

Restaurant food / service was really good and the breakfast was impressive.

But what left a sour taste in our mouths at the end of the trip, was the cab ride that we took from the hotel to the airport. It seemed very expensive to begin with, but for the lack of other options, we availed it. The staff kept insisting that their cabs are superior in quality and not the kinds that breakdown. But about 70% into our ride, we had a flat tire which was ok (happens, right) till the time we realized that the cab did not have proper equipment to replace the same. Somehow, the driver managed to fix it after fiddling with it for a good 30 mins. When we complained as to how could a hotel cab not have a proper jack, he responded rudely. He continued his rude behavior when he dropped us off at the airport, pointing fingers at us.

I hope the hotel takes note of this seriously and ensures that these incidents don't happen with tourists as it can adversely affect their image on social media sites like Tripadvisor.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank amitghosh80
Reviewed 2 January 2013

We loved the pool, the food, the friendliness of the staff and felt almost like at home.
And we had greattimes playing cards with the staff.
Jack did his very best to show us parts of beautiful Sri Lanka.
What we did not love was the noise of the train....

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 January 2013

Panchi villa was a very pleasant experience. friendly staff, good ambience, well maintained!! value for money completely!
the rooms are large, pool-facing, with a huge balcony. restaurant has good food. swimming pool is well-maintained.
very near to the main road but still gives a feel of being away from the noise.

only drawback i found was that there was no phone in the room which meant that we had to go down & find someone in case we needed anything. overall a definite thumbs up :)

Room Tip: get the rooms on the first floor if available. they are the best. u get only one channel on the T...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 November 2012

The hotel seems fairly fresh and new. The rooms are large and well-kept. one large double bed. large balcony overlooking the pool. the pool is very well taken care of, nicely lit at night, allows for swimming at any time of the day or night.
The hotel staff are quite welcoming, people try their best to satisfy your requests, albeit with various degrees of success.
short walk to the nearest beach which, as they say, is not very nice. We did not find anything wrong with it other than it did not have any beach chairs. having read other people's reviews, we expected to find a lot of trash on the beach but that wasn't the case.
they have tuk-tuk service to the wunderbar hotel beach (which offers free beach chairs and towels to Panchi Villa guests), costs 100 LTK and takes 5 minutes. alternatively, you can take a pleasant 20 minute walk along the beach.
A plate of fresh tropical fruits every morning at breakfast was nice.
minibar has a standard selection of drinks at decent prices (compared to Europe)

A few things we did not like that deserve mentioning. some can be classified as structural faults and have nothing to do with the staff or the way things are run, others have human causes.
1. the hotel has a very small area and is nestled right behind the main railway line and a major motor road. I am surprised that some reviewers called it a quiet place. It is quiet all right but only at those times when there is no traffic on either of the roads I mentioned. True, trains don't run very frequently, but when they do pass behind the hotel, you have a feeling that they are about to ram right through your room. plus they almost always issue shrill warning signals which can raise the dead from their graves. The same goes for the buses and trucks travelling along the motorway. But that is something the hotel staff can really do nothing about. Given that you don’t spend a lot of time in your hotel room, the noise factor did not bother us that much but must be considered by more sensitive travelers.
2. The hotel’s power supply system is quite susceptible to the shocks caused by electrical storms which, I suppose, rage quite often in those latitudes. We spent 7 nights at the hotel and more than twice power was out for variable lengths of time as a result of lightning strikes. Once thunderstorm was so powerful and downpour so strong, that lights went off for several hours in the evening and we had to go to bed without dinner as power was also knocked out at the hotel restaurant. Usually they fixed it within reasonable time but, as I said, on one occasion the power outage lasted several hours into the night. I guess that’s why they have candles in the rooms.
3. Breakfasts. If you are big on eggs, you would definitely love this place, as eggs was the only breakfast choice they give. Although in all fairness, you can choose between fried, boiled eggs and omelet. They also serve bacon and sausages to accompany eggs. As I said earlier, fresh fruits were nice. Plus they serve fresh tropical fruit juice, every time a new one, so one morning we even tried freshly squeezed avocado juice, they call it a butter-fruit. So, by the end of our stay, we could hardly eat any more eggs for breakfast.
4. TV. I know that people don’t travel to distant places to watch tv in their hotel room, but once in a while it is nice to be able to kick back and watch some moving pictures on the screen. So upon arrival I found only 1 channel that you could actually see and hear. After the first thunderstorm it went blank too. Three days in a row I made requests to the hotel staff to get it fixed and add some other channels, three days they made me sworn promises to get it fixed and at the end nothing was done. Finally I just threw in a towel and gave up. The irony of it was that the hotel staff spent all their time in the evenings watching their tv in perfect quality while their guests were deprived of that. It wasn’t a big deal really, as we don’t watch tv at home, but to us it signified lack of will or poor management on the part of the hotel to get this problem fixed.

Room Tip: Better to book directly at the hotel cite as prices seem lower than on bookng.com. the best restaur...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Vladislav
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Value for money (we paid approx. Usd 55 for a double room per night). This is not a luxurious hotel by any standards. The staff will however make you welcome and the pool is a nice touch. The rooms are ok for a short stay, the balcony is large and definite plus. The bathrooms are quite basic and while clean are a bit of a let down. The bar/food area is decent enough for a couple of drinks not so sure about actual dining (only had breakfast). The affiliated sea food restaurant - a 2 minute tuk tuk ride away (provided by Panchi Villa for free) - serves very nice seafood dishes at reasonable prices.

Negative : Probably the bathroom, somebody mentioned some towels, I agree they are a bit dodgy. Overall the bathroom is ok for a short stay but I wouldn't have to use them for a week. Also the breakfast. The bread with processed cheese were not too my taste. The eggs were not particularly tasty. The fruits were ok.

Room Tip: No real tips
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 November 2012

After seeing the reviews I booked this place through Agoda. When I reached there I realised that my nightmare was about to begin.
We had earlier stayed in kandy and Dambulla and thought this hotel will also make our stay comfortable. But when I reached there, there was no internet, TV not working, no basic things like Shampoo, water. I had paid the highest for this hotel among all and was horrified to see even basic things missing. When I checked with the only person manning the reception. He told me rudely if you are interested stay else get out.
It was very cold in night as it had rained. When we asked for blankets for kids. They outrightly refused saying they cant give. I had paid 180$ for 2 days through Agoda. But the guy there told me that Agoda gave them just 40 Euros hence no facilities provided. That person told us that, we should have booked directly on his web site then he would have given better accommodation with all facilities. I was shocked and felt fooled by both Panchi villa and Agoda.
Morning breakfast was some horrible stale bread and some sour fruits.Previous night only I had told the guy that my husband does not eat bread, still we got the same in the morning. Overall felt cheated and fooled. I suggest you all not to choose this place as they dont respect people and no body will be there to take care of your needs

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family