“Best food in 16 years of visiting Sri Lanka”

Malli's Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 63 Restaurants in Bentota
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The most romantic place to wine and dine in Bentota.
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Visited 23rd April 2014. I have been coming to Sri Lanka for 16 years and I can honestly say this was the best meal I have had in a restaurant. I have been to Bentota many times but never realised this great restaurant existed. It is not cheap by Sri Lankan standards but worth every penny. I had prawns with spaghetti and a white wine and mushroom sauce. The prawns were cooked to perfection. I will certainly visit again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,201)

Reviewed 22 April 2014

My husband and I visited this restaurant whilst on our honeymoon. A quaint restaurant with excellent service and the best fish that my husband and I had ever tasted. The restaurant was that good that we visited a second time within our 7 day stay in Bentota.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

We tend to only eat in our holiday restaurant as a last resort so we faced the high temperatures to find the best restaurants nearby and Malli's was the nearest. What a coincidence, it was also the best.

The owner takes a personal interest in his guests and turns out he has spent time in Scotland which is where we are from.

We visited Mall's five times which says a lot. The end of the station platform restaurant is in an unusual setting but it works with a few trains clattering through most evenings to add authenticity to the experience.

The menu like so many in Sri Lanka has a heavy seafood bias and many types of fresh fish from the day boat (rather than a boat that may have been at sea for some time) is amazing and super fresh.

Starters we sampled included Cuttle Fish (calamari) and Prawn Cocktail with Mango which were excellent. Fresh line caught Tuna was a huge succulent delight with house breads and tomatoes in olive oil and basil as accompaniments along with a bowl of fresh garlic which was OTT unless you wanted to ward off a whole battalion of vampires.

My wife is not so keen on seafood, but she thoroughly enjoyed the grilled chicken accompanied by HOT French fries and vegetables. She also requested chicken with pasta in a tomato sauce which they gladly did off menu and this was a delight.

Sri Lankan curry was visited a few times and this was exceptional. The rice portion is a little small but you can request more rice as often as you wish for no extra charge.

The only sweet we had was Banana Split - no complaints there! Drinks were well priced and overall the cost was amazingly reasonable for the quality of food at around 5,000 LKR (£25) on each visit.

There is no air conditioning, just fan's so expect to be hot! There are outside tables for a grandstand view of the trains if you wish. If you are not staying in Bentota, this restaurant is worth a Tuk Tuk ride. 5* Review!

We were gifted a local coconut spirit as a thank you on the last visit and can't quite remember who carried who home!

Reviewed 12 April 2014

We chose this restaurant as a result of Tripadvisor reviews and were not disappointed. The location is unusual (in the Bentota railway station opposite the Surf Hotel) but it certainly works. Arrive across the single track line between Colombo and Galle at the Southern end of the station and up some stairs. There are 3 outside tables and the rest inside, but with open shutters and fans...well appointed and classy. Occasionally the trains call at the station which adds an 'interest factor'. A varied and comprehensive menu dominated by seafood...all freshly cooked to a high standard and the jumbo prawns we ate were fabulous. My only criticism is the price of wine...it's expensive in Sri Lanka understandably, but they charge the same as the top-end hotels. It would be even better if they could be a little more competitive.

1  Thank LintonTraveller
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

This reataurant is run by a professional man .. he knows how to attract his customers .. great food great place also it is HALAL :)

1  Thank Ziyad A