“Disappointing”

Malli's Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 61 Restaurants in Bentota
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The most romantic place to wine and dine in Bentota.
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 27 August 2014 via mobile

We came here because of the trip advisor reviews. We arrived at 6pm and were the only people in the restaurant, given that I can't comment on atmosphere but the service was not good. There is no childrens menu and they didn't even try to accommodate my 8 and 10 year, even with smaller portions. The menu is limited and I had the Thai green curry which was very below average, the rest of the party had good meals. It seems very overpriced, no a/c which made it very uncomfortable. Right next to the railway line and no views. Our driver recommended restaurants every night to us and we were never disappointed: but he couldn't understand why we wanted to go there - I think we should have listened to him.

Visited April 2014
6 Thank Paula H

• Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
“This place will knock your socks off!”
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

I can honestly say that this was the best restaurant that I went I during my stay in Sri Lanka. This seafood restaurant is one that you really have to try if in Bentota, hell, even if you're not in Bentota! Upon arriving we looked at the menu which was a small selection of quality dishes. We at first were set on purchasing these dishes rather than the fresh fish, put off by the "day price" but we're soon reassured when the manager of the restaurant came round with a tray of all the local fish, all of which looked delicious. He then told us the prices which were all extremely good value for the quality of the fish. The fresh fish was really good but the river prawns really stole the show. With succulent and juicy meet combined with an easy to peel shell( as long as you allow it to cool) they were amazing. The thai red prawn curry was very nice and at a very cheap £7 based on it's incredible sauce. The service was so good that extra rice was provided without charge when necessary. We were also given shots at the end of the meel "on the house" which was an incredible way to top off the nice and the smiling manager made the restaurant an extremely pleasant meal which is definitely superior to any hotel food in quality and value. Will almost certainly go here again.

“10 out of 10”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

Everything you want in a fish restaurant is here. The food is outstanding, the staff are the friendliest I've meet & the Manager Malli is a gentleman & amazing host. It's a must.

2 Thank Sonia H
Singapore, Singapore
“Fine dining by the tracks”
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

We chose jumbo prawns and parrot fish from the selection of fresh seafood that was brought to the table. It was prepared perfectly and served with an tomato appetizer and rice. The seafood was fresh and the simple flavour was perfect after 8 days of curry. Malli and the staff were excellent hosts. Way to go!

London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“One of the best dining experiences I've ever had”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

What a wonderful place, what amazing staff, mixed with excellent food, you can't go wrong.

If your staying Bentota I'd suggest visiting here on your first and last night, as myself and my girlfriend have done on our recent holiday in the area.

What really stood out for us, besides the wonderful food (which you need to experience) was how friendly and welcoming the staff and manager was. Conversation flowed, not only between us as a couple, but also with the staff.

The location is great, with the novelty of passing trains every now and again breaking the moment and letting you appreciate what you're experiencing. We found it a really great touch that added smiles to our faces.

Do yourself a favour and visit. You won't regret it.

1 Thank Phil L