We stayed here for 6 nights after a Kuoni tour. We had an Orchid room which was really nice but we ended up at the end nearest the railway - however, I wear earplugs so it didn't really bother me.
The rooms seem to be cleaned twice a day or something as there was always people on our corridor. We had a complimentary bottle of really nice wine and fruit, plus canapes were brought some evenings too. Also they give you 4 complimentary bottles of water and if you take them in the morning, they will be replensihed at turn-down.
The bathroom was disappointing as it really was on it's last legs - although very clean, it really needed stripping out and redoing (the bath started to de-laminate one day!)
The bed was strange as well - although a king-size, the mattress acted like a water-bed - every movement my husband made left me bouncing up and down. It affected how much sleep we both got.
Service was generally really good. It was only in the bar it was really slow (especially when there was hardly anyone there) However, we found similar service all over Sri Lanka so it wasn't unique to the Taj.
We used the laundry service 3 times - excellent and reasonable
The buffet breakfast was probably the best we had in all the hotels we stayed and the waiters there were really friendly and helpful.
The pool and sunbeds were excellent - we had a fantastic view along the coast. We went down to the beach a few times - bit choppy but lovely.
The location of the hotel is also good - at the end of the road. There was a Carnival on halfway down the road which must have affected the Serendib next door and the Bentota Beach nearby. It seemed to go on quite late at night (seemed really only locals went to it)
The bit that was missing was nightlife - not only in the Taj but anywhere in Bentota.
We ate in Susanthas (3 other tables full) and the Golden Grill 4 times - really good food (ranged from about 4 tables to 10 tables full). Looked at Aida (one couple in) and ate in the Taj's chinese - excellent by the way (2 other couples).
We were last in the Taj's bar one night at 11.30 and generally there was half a dozen couples in there after 10.30 - and the hotel was full.
It seemed similar in the other hotels - we just don't know where people went at night, or if they just went to bed early.
This took the edge off the holiday as we like to socialise.
By the way - change your money in the Taj as had better rates than the banks
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sri Lanka is referred to as a ‘small miracle,’ for despite the island’s relatively small size, its natural wonders and beauty are in abundance. Vivanta by Taj – Bentota is located on the south west coast of Sri Lanka. The hotel lies over a lush hill that overlooks the Indian Ocean. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Holiday Gems, Travelbag, Hotels.com, Prestigia, Destinology, Southall Travel, Odigeo, Priceline, Agoda, DerbySoftTaj, Ebookers, Traveltool, S.L.U., HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Vivanta by Taj - Bentota reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Vivanta By Taj - Bentota Hotel Bentota
- Taj Exotica Hotel Bentota
- Bentota Taj Exotica Hotel
- Taj Exotica Sri Lanka
- Taj Exotica Srilanka
- Taj Exotica Bentota