“Shocker at bentota beach hotel”

Bentota Beach by Cinnamon
Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Bentota
Wellington, New Zealand
“Shocker at bentota beach hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2013

I booked 2 rooms just for a night. We all got there around 1.15 they said rooms are not ready till 2 that's fine my little getting restless by then however I went to reception at 2 hoping rooms are ready I couldn't believe when they said it's not ready. I wasn't happy at all got my room 15 minutes later my parents room after 50 minutes room was mopped but not dried no spoons for coffee when I checked out ask if I had used 2 pringles which wasn't in the mini bar at all. Food was great nice pool but would I wanna go back to this place when I have so many choices in bentota beruwela ahungalla area I don't think so

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank 0saliya
PramukshiKariyawasam, Public Relations at Bentota Beach by Cinnamon, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Thank you for your feedback following your stay at our Hotel. We sincerely regret the inconvenience caused to you during your stay with us.
On the said day, we did face an overbooking situation, and were hence unable to provide the rooms by the required time. We will certainly take more precautions to ensure that guests are offered rooms by the standard check-in time.
We sincerely hope that you will return to our Hotel in the near future and experience our hospitality at its finest.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

Being half Sri Lankan, I'm a frequent visitor to Sri Lanka and often stay at hotels where I know someone who works there (for obvious reasons). On my last visit, this practice brought me and my extended family to Bentota Beach Hotel for 3 nights, my first visit to the hotel. Over the years (many before the days of tripadvisor so no accompanying reviews), I've racked up my fair share of stays at beach hotels in Sri Lanka in Tangalle, Hikkaduwa, Mount Lavinia, Ahungalla, the list goes on. Bentota Beach Hotel seems to be a bit of an institution among my family given that it's been around for ages, so I was expecting something a bit old and dusty.

In actual fact, while the hotel isn't the most modern hotel of all time, I was surprised to find it is clean, well maintained, has a beautiful entrance (with a stunning ceiling and a wonderful smell) and is generally a lovely place to stay.

Our rooms were clean and comfortable, spacious, nice bathroom and generally of a good standard. The pool is awesome, I love how it has smooth rocks around the side and in the middle - I'm not describing it very well, but they're great spots to just perch on whilst in the pool. We got roped into an aqua aerobics session by the 'animator' - I really didn't want to, but he saw my mother and aunt and they are easy targets for a personable young man such as he. You can't fault his enthusiasm and it's worth noting that they run activities like aqua aerobics if you're looking for that sort of thing (also bingo, and some live music in the bar/lounge area, which I was also roped into - but surprisingly there were a lot of people present for the evening entertainment!).

Some activities more up my street were the watersports (on the river, shame it's not out in the ocean but the water is quite rough at times), which we all did. The jet ski was great, as was the giant ringo thing (can't remember what they called it). A bit expensive for what seemed like quite short rides, but so much fun. We also went on a river boat ride which was great for all the family.

The food was consistently excellent, with different themes every night (my favourite was the Indian night, the guy making the naan breads was my favourite, the various dishes he was making on each of the 3 nights was excellent, shame I didn't catch his name). Desserts weren't amazing but I could usually find one out of the array that I liked. Staff in the restaurant and around the hotel were lovely and provided great service.

The couple of points which stand out as lacking for me:
-The outdoor bar was a bit dead so it took a while to get served when there was no bar tender around. There were a lot of ants behind the bar, which I know is sometimes unavoidable but it's quite off-putting when they're marching like an army around the pineapple juice which probably should have been in the fridge.
-The beach at Bentota is not my personal favourite, I much prefer Hikkaduwa. When we stayed, it was too rough to swim in. That said, the beach is clean and quiet with not as many touts as some other beaches in Sri Lanka.

I would say it is comparable to other beach hotels I've stayed at in SL - it is exceeded by a few other exceptional hotels that I've stayed in, but if you're looking for hotel in Bentota, I would definitely consider this one.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank RanjiJ
PramukshiKariyawasam, Public Relations at Bentota Beach by Cinnamon, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at Bentota Beach Hotel.
Anticipating and full-filing your requirements are what we do best at Bentota Beach Hotel.
We were delighted to read your well detailed review on Trip Advisor.
It’s our pleasure to share your compliments to the entire team and positive comments such as yours which acts as a great source of motivation to all of us. Thank you once again for your compliments and recommendations and hope we will have the privilege of welcoming you back to Bentota Beach Hotel.
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

Lovely place to stay. The rooms were amazing, service was really good and the food.. ohh the food was just delicious!

Love to spend more time here in the future. Highly recommend the hotel. One of the best places we stayed at!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at Bentota Beach Hotel.
It is wonderful to hear we were able to meet your expectations and deliver the calm and comfort you expected.
It was our pleasure hosting you at Bentota Beach Hotel and we sincerely hope that you will visit us again soon.
Solihull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

Last hotel on our trip to Sri Lanka and found it to be really nice 6 day stay. Hotel,is situated next to railway line and a trains sound their horns as they pass. We were close to the line and this really did not bother us at all. All staff were very friendly and helpful even around the pool and gardens. Both pool and gardens were spacious and immaculate and staff worked hard to ensure areas were kept clean. Sun beds were available each day with free towels. Beach and ocean was wonderful, with a few locals trying to sell us goods, but left you alone once you said no thank you. Food and restaurant was good with plenty of choice, soups, salads, pasta, curry, BBQ and much more. We stayed all inclusive, but wine only available at lunch and dinner, with other times restricted to shorts, cocktails and beer or soft drinks. Menus are supplied for A/Inclusive guests and AI snacks available outside meal times, unless you want to pay extra. Snacks from pool bar are charged for whatever board basis, which is a bit confusing but again drinks are included. All inclusive needs to be explained clearly to guests. Waiters were mostly happy and helpful. Rooms were old but ok and cleaned each day. Overall very happy with this hotel and if you like water sports, you will be happy here.

Room Tip: Upgrade to deluxe/supreme, which I think are in main body of hotel. In the hotel wings, you may have...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback following your recent stay at Bentota Beach Hotel. We are glad to know that you enjoyed the sea view, the location of the hotel and the room which was allocated to you.

Your experience with our services offered specially with All Inclusive requirements and feedback on them will help us in increasing our training activities related to gain the product knowledge and efficiency.

Thank you once again for your kind words and assuring you of our best service during your future visits to Bentota Beach Hotel.
Pune
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

Stayed here with a groupd of friends and colleagues. Excllent location for water sports though we did not use the resort but Tushar's water sports on the other side fo the river. The rooms were large and spacious. The view was breath taking.
My most favourite part was the elaborate buffet spreads for all the three meals which I tased on different days.
A defininte come back hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to post your remarkable review on Trip Advisor following your stay at Bentota Beach Hotel.
It was pleasing to read that you enjoyed our facilities and services and we certainly appreciate your compliments on the food which we will not forget to share with the Executive chef and his team.

We look forward to your continued visits to Sri Lanka and do hope for another opportunity to have you stay with us.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

Stayed here with wife for two days while travelling around Sri Lanka and let's just say that at first we were horrified when were led into our rooms. Let's just say that the rooms looked like what they were on the pictures at Tripadvisor but on close inspection it showed signs of total neglect on the part of the regular maintenance. Our room opened into a front lawn which would have been a good spot but still you want to relax and enjoy after a trip around the country and it was just not what we signed up for when we booked the hotel. After some deliberation we finally called the Manager to come in to our room. His assistant probably came to see us we showed him the room and pictures on my Tripadvisor app which they had posted online and asked him to compare the two. Anyway he said he will fix it, went back and then called us to the main reception. There we didn't find him but just the service desk guy give us keys to the new room. Point is that if Hotel is taking me seriously, they should have the same person there talking to me about it first - fully knowing that they can be busy but still one likes a caring touch in a good establishment.

Anyway the new room was better, it was in the Lotus area and overlooked the pool. All of the rooms have pretty old CRT TVs but watching TV wasn't the reason we went to Sri Lanka for.

Pool was nice, beach stretch was good and clean but touts were annoying and I hate to ignore people but I had to do that to get rid of them. Hotel's restaurants are also pretty good and very well priced. I wanted to stay another night just to try another thing from their À la carte restaurant. General ground staff was very helpful - bar also had pretty nice live performances at night. And while we are at it prefer a room which is facing pool but try to stay on the corners if you wish to have a quite time.

Unfortunately with all the potential the location and architecture of Bawa offers them, I wish they can do better. If I am in Bentota next time I will like to try another establishment and might just walk in for the food.

Unlike another review I just read the staff there actually "under-billed" me for the crisp I had in the room - called them up to fix that and they did.

It was also perhaps the only time in my life where before the check-in a person comes in to lock the mini-bar fridge! Do you get a lot of cheap package tourists?

Room Tip: Look for a room in their Lotus section which overlooks the pool. They are well kept and have nice vi...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts on Trip Advisor. We regret the inconvenience caused whilst at our Hotel.

It is always very valuable for us to understand our guest experiences so that we can continue to review our service offerings and standards at the hotel. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience or disappointment caused due to the changing of your rooms, please be assured that we have taken note of your various comments and communicated them to necessary department and employees concerned.
While thanking you for your constructive feedback, we sincerely hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back at our Hotel for a stay that we guarantee will be memorable.
colombo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

I booked through Agoda and got 75% off and when we checked in i was ready for some bad attitude and bad service, however i must say they all did a great work, from the reception to room service was very good.
We took 2 rooms and it was clean and room service came and gave us extra towels in the night must say i was impressed with the service.
Pool was packed but was clean and pool boys were not very helpful we had to go looking for pool towels.
Food was great , had a good spread. we ordered room service as my kid was only 5 and every time the boys came with what we asked for and very helpful.
Dont take the tuktuk's near the hotel, i took one to go to church on Sunday and the guy charged me Rs,800 it was not even 4Km, when i told him its too much he gave me attitude.
Had a great time.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank gracesummer
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor.
It is thrilling to note that we have been able to give you a fantastic experience whilst at Bentota Beach Hotel and taking care of your every need at our way of ensuring that your stay with us is as relaxing and as comfortable as possible.
It was a pleasure having you in our hotel and we eagerly look forward to your next visit to us, perhaps in the very near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bentota
Vivanta by Taj - Bentota
#3 of 9 in Induruwa
The Surf Hotel
The Surf Hotel
#6 of 21 in Bentota

Been to Bentota Beach by Cinnamon? Share your experiences!