“Great time special thanks to Neel De Alwis with his red tuk tuk you made our stay even better.”

Bentota Beach by Cinnamon
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Bentota
charvil
Reviewed 14 August 2010

We stayed at Bentota Beach Hotel after the wedding. A Pleasant hotel fronting onto the beach and very relaxing. We enjoyed lots of sightseeing trips thanks to Neel our tour guide licensed with the Sri Lankan tourist board who we met on the beach whilst out running.(Bye the way he is a great runner if you can keep up with him). He organised several trips for us lasting between one and two days which included a boat trip. He is very knowledgeable both about the local area and all things Sri Lankan. He also took us shopping for spices, tea and clothes. We would highly recommend him as he is friendly and reliable.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank neelsfriend

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2010

Stayed at the BBH for 7 days and had a great time after 6 days travelling around the island. We had a room problem when we arrived which was sorted and when I queried with our tour operator the terms of All Inclusive the manager came and found me and sorted out everything (even I think it was the tour operator which was wrong).

Good water sports facilities which the children (including the biggest one - Me!!) thoroughly enjoyed and I thought the quirky pool built into a rock was lovely.

Food was buffet style and we all enjoyed the variety and the choices were changed everyday unlike other buffet-restaurant hotels I have been to. All inclusive wine isn't the best but you can buy a bottle which they'll keep back for you (if it lasts for more than one meal) so you get the best of buying by the glass and the bottle.

The strong point was the friendliness of the staff. When I arrived, the registration form asked for birthday (did they mean DOB?) so I thought I'd try my luck and put down my daughter's birthday which was while we were there. I forgot about this until the head waiter came up to me (away from children) after a few days and asked if we'd like a cake which would go on "the hotel bill". They made it a great day for here with a cake brought out for her at dinner. When I paid my bill at the end, there was no charge for the cake; when I followed up on this it was because it was on the "hotel's bill" not mine. A lovely gesture by the staff who had arranged it and kept it a secret. She'll always remember it.

When you stay there, go the turtle sanctuary which allows you to release the baby turtles back into the sea - very moving.

One thing to watch out for is sea conditions. We went at wrong time of year to swim in sea on the West Coast and there was no diving so do your research. Luckily water sports made up for it.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Churchill_family
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2010

Stayed for five nights at 'BBH' after a tour of the island. I must admit from some of the reviews I read - I wasn't expecting much from this hotel, but was very pleasantly surprised. The food was fantastic with variety for our teenage children. Each day we were offered a massive selection of Sri lankan food and there were also different themed days for those that weren't keen on this - this included pastas, chinese and even american with a massive baked alaska being paraded into the restaurant !. We were all inclusive and had expected to use different restaurants but we just couldn't fault the main restaurant. Staff fantastic and friendly.
The hotel was in the process of being redecorated and upgraded while we were there so it should be even better next year !.
Great Pool with secluded areas in grounds for people who wanted peace.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank raffy082
Reviewed 9 August 2010

We stayed three nights at bbh. The location was nice. The service was horrible. Staff, especially the receiptionests were very disrespectful. Try to accept a receptionest deliberately ignoring you and shouting at you. Our laundry took three days to arrive. The minibar and restaurant prices are high. Swiming pool was less than the surrounding hotels. I'd never stay there again unless there is no other choice.

• Stayed August 2010
2 Thank timoon
nj
Reviewed 2 August 2010

stayed at this hotel in may 2010, for 5 days. i was there with my wife and two kids. we had a very relaxing time there. i agree that hotel needs upgrading but it is not shabby. we had a minor problem with AC in on of our rooms. they gave us another room immidiately.the staff were curteous and very friendly. they were not after tips as some people had mentioned. we thaught the food was good.it was buffet style. when we left bentota, we stayed at taj at gall face. apparently we had left some money in the hotel room. the roomboy handed over the cash to the management and they tracked us down at our new hotel. money was returned to us. we are from US. i don't think we will never see this money again if it was in a US hotel. we rewarded the roomboy for his honesty .

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Scottish Borders
Reviewed 22 July 2010

I have just returned from a 10 night stay at the BBH and all in all left satisfied.

As previous posts have mentioned the hotel is at the stage where it would benefit from a makeover, this is not to say it is scruffy, it just requires updating.

To me the staff are the asset of this hotel, with the exception of 1 or 2 of the bar staff in the lounge bar and pool bar who were incredibly rude, hostile ( more so if you were all inclusive ) and couldnt care less about serving you.

The room we were in was a superior room, we were in a standard room for the first day and it would appear the only difference is location and bath robes, not worth paying extra for.

The choice and quality of food is excellent and any previous posts slating the food are talking nonsense, I have eaten in Michelin star restaurants where the service and quality are less than here, however the buffet style does start to wear thin due to the fact you tend to over eat and appreciate less.

The drink offered on AI is poor, the local wine is palatable but i would question the alchohol content likewise with the beer, unless of course I have suddenly refound my youth and am now able to drink for Scotland again ! The local spirits are acceptable but with rough edges !

The pool and gardens are great and also an asset to the hotel, however why oh why do they only have 4 tatty parasols is beyond me. Why they do not have waiting staff serving drinks around the pool is another mystery ( the staff could earn a fortune on tips alone ). On the last day someone did come round wondering if we wanted ice cream, this should be everyday.

The beach is fantastic with good long walks possible in both directions, however, DO NOT swim in the sea, the red flags are not there for decoration as a British father and son discovered during our stay !!!!

Entertainment is quite simply, awfull, be prepared to make your own. The Bob Marley lookalike whilst good needs to increase his repertoire to more than half a dozen !!

To make your stay more enjoyable be prepared to tip, waiting staff, pool boys, barstaff, room boys etc. Allow yourself 500 rupees( £3) per day for tips and this will more than pay for itself. We found that by giving the room boy a small tip each day ensured you wanted for nothing and your decorated turned down bed would be a work of art. Tipping the waiting ensures Ice Cream is available everyday instead of just weekends !!
Tipping the pool boy ensures you always have a sunbed with parasol in prime spot.

Most importantly, treat the staff with respect and you will learn a bit more about their culture, do not treat them like servants which we witnessed on more than one occassion, they are the freindliest people you will ever meet.

Special mention must go to the front of house staff who are the biggest asset to this hotel with their friendly and helpfull cheery attitude.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Nilgiris, Tamil Nadu
Reviewed 12 July 2010

In July 2010 I took my family consisting of my wife and 2 teenage children to Bentota on a family holiday. We decided to stay at the Bentota Beach Hotel for 3 nights as I have travelled on work to Colombo a few times and have always stayed at John Keels - Cinnamon Grand Hotel where I have had only great experiences with service and food quality!
Although the Bentota Beach Hotel was informed that we would be reaching around 2 pm while booking, as the travel from the airport took longer than anticipated we reached around 4.30 PM. To our utter dismay the two rooms booked were still not ready! We were provided one room to hang out in and made to wait over an hour for the other room while it was cleaned!
As I have had great food at John Keels - Cinnamon Grande Hotel at Colombo I expected the same quality of food at BBH and had booked for a full board stay. The food quality to say the least was poor and the menu NEVER changed much to the 3 full days we spent there! Some items from lunch was produced at dinner as a different dish which tasted no better! I sincerely wished I had not asked for full board as we could have had Ala Carte which would have been marginally better - I hope. As food quality was so poor the family ordered extensively through room service.
The rooms are far from satisfactory for the price paid as lighting systems were constantly breaking down and complaints made no difference. Bathrooms were poor with shower cublicles leaking thus wetting the entire bathroom! One of the rooms provided was absolutely basic and not of the standard expected of a John Keels property. Intercoms at BBH were not working!! Calls to room service would end up in restraunts, calls to operator at the front desk and complaining was a waste of time!
The over all holiday at BBH was a disaster and the only saving grace was our 3 nights at Cinnamon Grand - Colombo where we all had a great time to salvage the family holiday.
The SPA was dark, gloomy and lacking hygiene - although the treatment my wife and I had was acceptable.
This property of John Keels definitely needs major renovations real soon other wise no guest will return. I will return to Bentota but to BBH .............NEVER!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank BOPANA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bentota
Centara Ceysands Resort & Spa Sri Lanka
Cinnamon Bey Beruwala
Cinnamon Bey Beruwala
#1 of 1 in Moragolla
Paradise Road The Villa Bentota

Been to Bentota Beach by Cinnamon? Share your experiences!