We are a family group on a motorcycle tour around Central and Southern Sri Lanka, spending a few days at the end of the ride at this resort. The Avani was designed by famous architect Geoffrey Bawa and has an open tropical feel, very suited to the location. We booked through a travel agent so I can't comment on the communication experience but the front desk people were ever helpful.
The welcome and check-in experience were very satisfactory with prompt service and a cold welcome drink.
We were allocated a room on the 1st floor with a view over the pool and through the trees to the water. The room was quite large with a modern bathroom. There are suites at ground floor level near the pool which are very open but one of our party enjoyed their experience in one of these rooms.
The breakfast provided in the pavilion near the pool provided plenty of choice with freshly prepared eggs of your choice. (If you like an omelet, have the chef take it off the heat early as they like to cook everything to within an inch of its life!).
We did have lunch at the resort which was generally OK but usually preferred to try the local experience and eat at the restaurants a short walk into town. You have to run the gauntlet of tuc tuc drivers near the road entrance to the resort but that's not unusual in Sri Lanka.
We did attend the dinner on the beach which was quite expensive by Sri Lankan standards and as mentioned in other reviews, the food was just OK. Sri Lankan chefs don't seem to know "medium rare" but if you can interrupt the cooking process it is possible to get a steak that still has some life left in it. However, the resort does try to make the experience a memorable one with lots of flares on the beach and a close to the water location. Despite the price and very average food, we enjoyed the experience.
During our ride, I managed to cut my knee quite badly which, in the tropical heat of Sri Lanka became badly infected. Despite attending various clinics and hospitals along the ride, by the time I arrived at Bentota, my knee needed some serious help. The resort doctor Ms Kanchana Munasinge was called a number of times to attend to me, despite interrupting her own weekend plans. She also arranged for various medications to be delivered to me. Nothing was too much trouble. Thanks Doc!
All in all, our party enjoyed the time at Avani.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Get away to our Bentota hotel, beach haven. Soak up colonial charm in nearby Galle. Laze by the ocean as AVANI Bentota Resort & Spa combines contemporary style with sun-filled days on the southwest coast. Spice up your appetite with local flavours. Sail gently through the mangroves for a relaxing afternoon. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with LoveHolidays, Southall Travel, Holiday Gems, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, TravelUp, Expedia, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, Ebookers, HotelsClick and Cancelon so you can book your AVANI Bentota Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Avani Bentota Hotel Bentota
- Avani Bentota Resort And Spa
- Serendib Hotel Bentota