“A fine Hotel, A terrible reservation desk at Ceylon Hotels Corporation.”
Review of The Surf Hotel

The Surf Hotel
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Bentota
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We, two professional parents and two daughters aged 10 & 14, wanted to spend a day or two out at a place not so distant from our home. So we chose Bentota and went through web pages and decided to go to "the Surf" at Bentota. To begin the review with good news, the Hotel staff gave a fine service, a good variety of delicious food. Rooms (we got a triple) were specious enough, so no complaints about the Hotel at all. However, the beach was crowded, but that should be expected on a public Holiday.

However, quite contrast to the service at the Hotel, Ceylon Hotels Corporation Reservation desk at Head Office gave a terrible service. I contacted reservation of Ceylon Hotels Corporation (now owned by Galleface Hotels) a few days before and was assured that a triple room would be reserved and further requested either to come to Galleface Hotel personally to make an advance payment or to deposit money within three working days to their account. I was assured that the account details would be texted to me. As there was a delay in texting, I called again. I was told that the lady who spoke to me has already sent a text message (which I now know as the beginning of a series of lies), which I did not receive. I was told that it would be texted "again". Thereafter, I received a text giving the account number, but without giving the name of the bank! After another text that I sent, the name of the bank was texted to me. Thereafter I deposited Rs. 5000/- & sent an email attaching the payment slip, requesting for a reply and confirmation, which I did not receive at all. Twice when I contacted the reservation at their head office, I was told that they would call me back in 5 minutes, but did not receive a call at all..!. Finally I contacted the Surf and received a confirmation promptly with an apology. It was a consolation in deed to be treated nicely when we arrived at the Hotel.

So it is advisable to get a reservation from the Hotel itself and not to go through the highly disorganized reservation desk at Ceylon Hotels Corporation.

Room Tip: If you need more privacy, better to get an upstair room rather than getting a ground floor room next...
1  Thank Colombo_City
Lee W, Manager at The Surf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2013

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for publishing your thoughts about our hotel and our reservation desk. I'm truly sorry to hear about the difficulties you had to go through to get your reservation confirmed. We will definitely address this matter with our central reservation department to avoid similar incidents in the future. We value each and every one of our guests and want to provide the best possible service from the time they first contact us for a reservation till they leave our hotel after their stay.

On a positive note, I'm happy to hear that the hotel staff was able to resolve this matter and make your visit to The Surf a pleasant one. On behalf of The Surf and Ceylon Hotel Corporation I want to apologize for any problems you encountered, but want to assure that this is an isolated incident and we will put all our efforts to provide a better service to you in the future. Thank you again for sharing your experience and hope to see you and your family back at The Surf pretty soon.

There are newer reviews for The Surf Hotel

Reviewed 1 September 2013

We arrived to the hotel right after we landed in Sri Lanka.
Just in the minute you cross the Hotel gate, you feel the luxury.
We got an amazing room on the long pool, with a view to the ocean. the room is as 5 star Hotel.
best service. best location. best view
we gave it only 4 star- only because we didnt like the food..

Room Tip: Take the room on the pool
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Lee W, Manager at The Surf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2013

Dear Eyal,

Thank you very much for recommending us on TripAdvisor. We are pleased to see that you not just enjoyed the facilities offered at the Surf, but also had great experience with the service from our staff. We are sorry to hear that you didn't like our food during your stay and please let us know if there was anything specific that we could improve for your next visit. Please feel free to get in touch with us for any of your future travel needs and thank you again for recommending us on this site.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

We really did not know what expect from our first SriLanka trip, but The Surf Hotel Bentota made our stay a memorable one... we, a family of four with two young curly hair kids found The Surf to be very accommodating with super friendly staff and cleanliness that impressed us.
The direct access to the beach was great for us and the kids, along with the pools that made our stay very easy and relaxing.

We only had our breakfast at The Surf, while enjoying the rest of our meals around town, nevertheless, we found the breakfast buffet satisfactory, but wished for more continental selections.

Verdict: a great place to stay that is super clean with very friendly staff that has been trained well... A super friendly General Manager was always on site and available for any direction of staff... enjoyed it and will sure return.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Lee W, Manager at The Surf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2013

Dear Nidal,

We really enjoyed having you at our property and was so glad to see your kids enjoyed their stay here at the Surf, especially, around the dessert table :) We wish to see you and the family again and please feel free to contact us if you need any help with your next visit.

Reviewed 22 August 2013

This was by far one of the best properties.
The rooms are very clean, there are 2 swimming pools well maintained, food is quite good with good options of restaurants. It becomes a lottle difficult for vegetarians though.
Spread of the breakfast is quite good.
The best part about the hotel is the beach. There is a private stretch of the beach .... Very clean and its perfect for taking a dip and surfing too...
The service is not that great, as there are 100 rooms and we went there around a very busy weekend. But, the rest of the positives really negate that!

Dear Esha,

Thank you so much for publishing this review online about your visit to the Surf. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the facilities we offer at our hotel.
Please let us know in what service areas we were lacking so we can make sure to improve our those weaknesses in the future. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience about our property and hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

We stayed at the Surf as we wanted to be on the beach side of the railway tracks. Bentota is a peaceful enough beach and the Surf was right on the beach.
We were only there one night and took the Full Board package, which weirdly isnt actually full-board, rather, only food. I knew this, but was surprised when the restaurant water wasnt included.
The room we stayed in was adequate, well equipped and we stayed here with 2 kids, for which they provided a single bed (our girls are small enough so they could share)
The food was adequate, although lunch was a bit limited. I think the thing I would have liked was more kids activities, there didnt seem to be a lot of thought put into this. Luckily our girls are still happy to just swim in the pool all day, which was right out the front of our room and very clean.
Theres a few shops just outside the hotel, and the general staff were very polite and efficient.
Beach as mentioned was good, although rough, which was expected at this time of year.
Bentota wasnt my favourite spot in Sri Lanka, but The Surf was an okay stay.

Room Tip: All the beach facing rooms seemed okay. Ground floor rooms are better.

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing the service you received while you were at our hotel. we are happy to hear that you and your family had a nice experience during your visit and we will try to add some more activities for our younger guests.
We apologize if there was a confusion regarding your meal plan. We offer full board meal plans and do not have the option for all inclusive packages. So, any additional items obtained during your meals will be billed including bottled water and soft drinks. However, we do provide jug water and tea coffee facilities free of charge during all meals. Again, we hope you had overall a great stay and please feel free to contact us if you need any assistance with a future reservation.

Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

We are a family of 10 and chose this hotel because of the good reviews. Spoke to Lee (the manager) who was very helpful and very eager to help. Lee provided us with a excellent package that was too good to miss.
The staff was very helpful and always had a smile. We were provided with a welcome drink as soon as we arrived which was quite refreshing. The room given to us was a very clean and a nice room, however there was a problem with the hand shower in the toilet, which was solved within a matter of minutes by the maintenance guy.
The pool was excellent, good size and not that crowded which was great.
Lunch had a variety of international and srilankan cousins, which I and my family throughly enjoyed.
I was quite hard to get a room however Lee sorted us out and was an absolute star.
A personal thank you to Lee for making this day outing a very enjoyable and unforgettable experience...
I will definitely be revisiting this place again wit ma girl.

• Stayed: August 2013
Lee W, Manager at The Surf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Hi Shaam,
It’s so nice to hear from you. First of all, I have to thank you for being so understanding and helping us when we made a last minute request from you. We really appreciate that. Apart from that, I’m very happy to hear that you and your family had a wonderful time while you were at our hotel. Also, it’s good to see that our staff was attentive and took care of the problems right away.
We would love to have you and your family come back and visit us and if you need any assistance in the future, please feel free to get in touch with me. Next time, I’ll make sure you all will have an even better experience while you are at The Surf.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

one thing we noticed about this hotel was that it was very clean....a very small room ...nothing much to be commented on. a double bed and a mirror ... no chairs....room opens to the beach.. that's a plus point.
food was not up to the standards we expected.

Room Tip: choose a deluxe room not superior
1  Thank Gimhani B
Lee W, Manager at The Surf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2013

Dear Hazel,
We very much appreciate the comment you have published on the TripAdvisor. Our staff always works hard to provide a clean nice environment to all our guests. I’m sorry to hear that you felt that the size of the room size was insufficient and didn’t have any chairs. We do provide chairs to all our rooms and each room is provided with two sunbeds on their own balcony or terrace/patio. However, our “Deluxe” rooms are bigger than the “Superior” rooms during your next visit we can book you in to one of those rooms. I will make sure to inform our Chef about the food, and was there anything in particular that was lacking with our food services. Again, thank you so much and looking forward to hearing from you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bentota
AVANI Bentota Resort & Spa
Centara Ceysands Resort & Spa Sri Lanka
Vivanta by Taj - Bentota
Paradise Road The Villa Bentota
Wunderbar Beach Club Hotel
Heritance Ahungalla
Heritance Ahungalla
#1 of 2 in Ahungalla

Been to The Surf Hotel? Share your experiences!