“A real chill out resort .”

Wunderbar Beach Club Hotel
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Bentota
Margate, United Kingdom
“A real chill out resort .”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2013

Thanks once again to Trip adviser,what would we do without you !!
6 days of sheer bliss,a get away from it all holiday,a small resort virtually
on the beach, and what a beautiful beach,sun beds , mattress,and brolly all included ,
our room spotless ,cleaned every day,great restaurant,with a choice if fresh sea food
,all the staff ,happy and helpful, SI-SI the hotels tuk -tuk driver,gave us a wonderful day out,giant Buddha,boat trip,where we saw and held water monitors,,local restaurant for lunch,ride through the villages,beautiful scenery, and what a happy, well knowledged guy.
and on our last evening we took baby turtles which had been rescued,and nurtured from eggs,and sent them on their way down to the beach,and into the sea,what a wonderful experience.
If your looking for a chill out place ,without the crowds,this is for you !

Room Tip: We stayed in room 3, right by the swimming pool,on the first floor, large balcony,mini bar,A/C, fan...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mimi12396

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Arabic first
Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013

from the moment you arrive, this really is a lovely sri lankan experience. Huge clean and comfortable rooms. Friendly, helpfull and happy staff that can't do enough for you. The tuk-tuk drivers (hi, Dilip and Krishantha) were also patient and fun helping you. Great freshly cooked food, served with a smile (and a chat if not too busy).Excellent hotel - I will go back as soon as I can.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank jane f
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2013

Between myself and my family, we have been coming to Wunderbar for over 10 years and it never fails to not only meet but exceed expectations. From the minute you're collected at the airport, Chan and his staff are nothing but attentive and nothing is too much trouble. The rooms are simply traditionally furnished with ample space and generous balconies, air conditioned and cleaned daily. The pool is conveniently located for all rooms and the exclusive beach is only a 2 minute walk through natural gardens. The hotel has an excellent restaurant with a varied menu including fresh fish through to a variety of authentic Sri Lankan curries as well as a great mix of world cuisine. Children are more than welcome and the staff go out of their way to accommodate any specific needs. As well as the facilities mentioned in this review, there is a small, but friendly, jewellers as well as the inspired turtle project which is part of a wider government conservation project. All in all, it's bloody marvellous and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anybody.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank DaveLePecheur
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

Wunderbar:
We stayed at this gem of a place on Jan11th - Jan 12th. There was major confusion with booking dates (I put incorrect travel dates while booking online) but Chandana was very generous - "I dont want to mess up your holiday, Let me see what I can do!". He let us (a tired group of 3 girls) stay in the private bungalow right next to(but a part of) Wunderbar hotel. This place is very clean, safe & the staff were very helpful.
Panchivilla:
For the night of Jan 12th, Chandana arranged a stay at one of his other (cheaper & less known) hotels called "PanchiVilla" as Wunderbar was sold out. PanchiVilla is about 150 meters from the beach (& 10 mins tuk-tuk ride from wunderbar) whereas Wunderbar is literally at the beach. The room rate at Wunder bar for a triple board is 100 Euros & at PanchiVilla is 65 Euros. The service & the ambience is the same! I would highly recommend any place owned/managed by Chandana & his family. They do an outstanding job & have set a high bar for beach-side hotels in SL. The noise from the trains is minimal & did not disturb us at all during our stay.

Wunderbar & Panchivilla Pros & Cons:
Pros: Great staff, private beach, owner lives on site, the Tutle Hatchery!!, good (albiet slightly expensive) drinks, Hearty breakfast!! Great setting to have a cold Lion Beer & watch the sunset from the [raised] dining platform. The restaurant or bar doesnt close until the last patron leaves!
Minor Cons: A gazillion mosquitoes (but they have coils to fix that). Our room at Panchivilla had a stinky bathroom - we only found out when we got back to crash[sleep] after a long day spent doing touristy things around Bentota. We did not bother bringing it up to the staff because we were going to check out the next morning & the stink did not reach the actual hotel room. Just wanted mention it here so the next group of people that stays at Panchvilla can make sure to inspect the bathroom before accepting the room.

Room Tip: For Panchvilla: Make sure *not to get a room on the ground floor. This one is right next to hotel of...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank RevShob
Melbourne AU
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2013

Am I mistaken, but is this beach an undiscovered gem? Palm trees line a pristine stretch of sand as far as the eye can see. Never crowded, this lovely locale is the perfect spot for an understated, simple hotel such as Wunderbar.

Basic airconditioned rooms, a decent pool and an open-air dining hall all make up what is a good value, mid-range hotel, right on a lovely beach. Staff are friendly and seem to enjoy hanging out. And if you're tired of eating in-house, there's a great place right next door - quite gourmet!

Overall, a nice place to hang out for a few days but no five-star resort.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Bengaluru, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights (23-24 dec) . Room was spacious and clean. Breakfast was good but monotonous, may be they can add some more options on breakfast menu. As we were tired and hungry it was annoying to wait for a long time for dinner to be served and food was extremely salty. We had ordered for some soup and noodles.
Beach is very close to the hotel and is clean and not at all crowded. I actually enjoyed watching trains pass by while eating breakfast. Railway tracks literally pass through the hotel.
(I had a disturbed sleep may be because I wasn't well or because of some kind of loud celebrations in the night.) I couldn't access Wi-Fi from the room . Signals are good close to the area near reception.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2013

I loved this place. I stayed there for 2 nights with my wife and two teenage kids in December. We were looking for a place in Bentota near the big plush hotels and I met a guy called 'Lucky' Sanjaya who took me off on his motorbike to Wunderbar. I was looking for something with quality but not a supersize sterile hotel and I was glad I took a chance with Lucky as Wunderbar was perfect for our needs. We wanted a family room as it was just a stop over for two nights and they were happy to put a second single bed into the room. They lit mozzie repellant burners each night which personally I really appreciated. I associate the smell which is not unpleasant with being in the tropics and I like it. (in case you were put off by earlier review negative comment re this!)
The restaurant was really very nice. I would say the best I went to in Sri Lanka. The food was very good and the setting which is a very substantial timbered open sided first floor area with high timbered roof beams above that meant it was never stuffy or too hot.
I wasn't sleeping too well, (no fault of the hotel), and I had a great evening sitting drinking and smoking til after 3am with some of the staff who were top blokes.

Special thanks Sandul and Injin - good luck with your wedding. ;) - and we're all still here ha ha!

We had surfing lessons arranged by an older guy called Sunil who was another very funny pleasant guy and we also went on a jetski from the hotel with Poda. None of these activities was pressured on us and compared to prices for watersports in Europe it was very cheap.
Wi-Fi was available sitting in the gardens and the pool was lovely and clean so all in all I would highly recommend this place.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Roger P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bentota
Vivanta by Taj - Bentota
Bentota Beach by Cinnamon
Centara Ceysands Resort & Spa Sri Lanka
AVANI Bentota Resort & Spa
Cocoon Resort & Villas
Cocoon Resort & Villas
#3 of 9 in Induruwa
Dalmanuta Gardens - Ayurvedic Resort & Restaurant

Been to Wunderbar Beach Club Hotel? Share your experiences!