“Great!!”

Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Bentota
Leeds
“Great!!”
Reviewed 26 July 2011

I had to write a quick review about the hotel as i was shocked by the other comments left....you can't please everyone!
The restaurant served Great food, we found the staff provided excellent service and there was a pleasant atmosphere.
The location is great (we had a room b the river), as you are near the river / sea / and a small tuk tuk journey away from a busy town.
We loved Bentota and we will be back - will we go to Aida? Yes - good value for money and really enjoed our time there.

Room Tip: Ask for a river front room
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank JDonovanLeeds

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
bangalore, glasgow
Reviewed 10 March 2011

Very nice hotel, great location right opp the river.
BUT TOTAL ABSOLUTE DISCRIMINATION AGAINST ASIANS n INDIANS in PARTICULAR.
Will definitely recommend it to Europeans but never to any dark skinned people.
Dark people are unfortunately treated shabbily there..

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
10 Thank me_nishil
scyohan, Owner at Aida Ayurveda & Holistic Health Resort, responded to this review, 12 August 2011
hi my name is Yohan and i'm the Director for AIDA

I apologize for any inconvenience caused during your stay sir.
I understand the feeling being dark skinned as i lived most of the time in europe myself.

But do you not feel that you have been too critical about this situation? I'm sure it was all a big communication error rather personal error.

we respect all nationalities and why on earth we discriminate our own color?

I am dark skinned too.
York, North Yorkshire
Reviewed 16 January 2011

I stayed at the Aida, Bentota from the 22 December to 5 January and I could not have wished for a better hotel.
The staff were all willing to give us advice on what sites to go and see and spoke to us everday. They are friendly to the point of actually becoming your friends.
The food is a mix of traditional sri lankan food with many other dishes to cater for those who are less likely to try the spicy stuff!
The hotel is located near the river (great for watching wildlife - eagles, crocs, monitor lizard etc) and a short walk from one of the best beaches we have been to (great sand and shallow water).
The room was very comfortable (large room with a balcony) and clean (everday and night the room boys did a wonderful job).
We went to the Textiles shop where my partner had a 3 piece suit made (made to measure at a fraction of the price in the UK) and I had 2 dresses made (just needed to show them a picture of what i wanted and 'voila' - it really is amazing what they can do).
We also purchased some jewellery from the gem store on site (there are 2 shops / the workshop so you can see things being made / and the museum which explains all about gem mining).
The hotel is split into 2 and the holistic side is welcoming and has a lovely pool and the breakfast served is refreshing and actually makes you feel better! I had two treatments - a full body relaxing massage which was heavely and very reasonably priced and a full body mud wrap (only negative thing i can say was i didnt come out looking like the ladies on the advert - but my skin is still really soft!)
My partner proposed while we were away and the hotel was wonderful - reserving us a table overlooking the river and showering our beds with beautiful flowers. everyone seemed genuinely happy for us both.
I have tried to be as descriptive as possible as I cannot express how different our stay was to the negative reviews i have read.
Would i stay again..........we have already agreed to have our honeymoon in Sri Lanka at the Aida Bentota (if i can get there before I will!) x x

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank minnie_the_greek
Linz, Austria
Reviewed 11 January 2011

I stayed here 2 weeks. My 2nd time in Sri Lanka. My room was shaby and dirty. The towels oily and torn. The safe and the TV (2 channels) didn't work in the beginning. It is terribly loud to sleep as there is a near train and a busy street. I use to travel a lot - but also for me this is one of the worst hotels I've ever visited. And I now about the country and that it can't be the same standard as in Europe. But for the price it's not worth it!
The treatments are ok though. About 1,5 hours every day if you book a whole cure for 65 EUR per day. But still they could invest in new towels, mattresses and sunbeds. The garden is nice.
The meals are always more ore less the same: curry and rice and vegetables, fish for lunch and chicken in the evening, the taste is all right.
The service (except restaurant) is bad. You have to ask 5 times for everything you need.
And the worst: I heard that people who do not complain (not me) are asked to write a good comment here in Tripadvisor (and even get a small present for it). So don't trust all comments completely.
I came here because of good comments, but I can't agree them.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
11 Thank Kakaduu71
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 10 January 2011

Within two weeks I got totally relaxed and got rid of my headaches by acupuncture and aryuveda treatment. The doctor is very professional. Especially the service staff is very friendly.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo
7 Thank Rudolfo99
Charlotte
Reviewed 3 January 2011

I completely agree with helpinghandAustria's comments as we had experienced a similar horror with this so called holistic hotel. Unfortunate that we did not check this review prior to our stay here as we were banking on the so-called travel industry leaders: Cox & Kings.

We spent 2 nights from our 9 days trip in Sri Lanka in this hotel. In our trip, easily this wins hands down as the worst hotel! This was the most horrible hotel we have ever been and unfortunately we had no chance of relocating as it was New year's eve.
Our hotel room was a dingy little room, utterly shabby, third rate and absolutely disgusting located strategically near store rooms!!!!!!!!!!

One should not recommend this hotel even to their worst enemy!

The rooms are extremely dirty with insects galore. Molds and cockroaches are an integral part of the entire room, sticky cupboards (some without handles), broken toilet seat and celing fan, rusty fixtures probably installed when Sri Lanka gained
independence. The air conditioning unit was non functional.
The list is endless!

This is supposedly a 3 star property with no TV and a conceited and impolite manager.
When we complained about the room he had the audacity to tell us to leave the place if we did not like the room. He did not have the slightest remorse to even apologise for the state of their rooms. But on the day we were checking out, he suddenly transformed into a completely polite person (he even managed a smile) and asked us to visit their Gems & Jewellery shop!!!

I just sincerely pray that we do not carry any bed bugs from this unhygienic place!!!!
Being an ardent traveller and having stayed across the world, this is easily the worst place I have ever come across!

I have uploaded the photos for your benefit. Be forewarned and save yourself from this place.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
10 Thank vjtech81
austria
Reviewed 21 November 2010

I will make me review very short. We spent the last night from our 7days trip in Sri Lanka in this hotel.
This was the most horrible hotel I have ever been and unfortunately we had no chance of relocating.
The hotel has two buildings - a new one which seems ok and an old part which is just disgusting!!!!!!!!!!
The rooms are dirty, body fluids from the previous people are on the bed sheet, animals everywhere including ants in the bed, Mold in the entire room, sticky cupboards and tables, broken toilet seats, the bathtub rusty & mold....
The list is endless!
I am working in the hotel industry since 10 years and I have been to many places in the world and this is the only place I have been and I was scared to take diseases with me because it is so unhygienic!!!!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple