“If I could give HBV 10 out of 10 I would, so 5 out of 5 it is then!”

Hotel Bentota Village
Ranked #11 of 66 Bentota B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Hi all who may be thinking of booking this great hotel. Me and my wife stayed here for 8 days on our first trip to Sri Lanka. On arrival, there was a warm welcome from the staff and during our stay we got to know many of them quite well, like Kumar, Podi, the restaurant staff and the driver for the hotel Massie.
My wife is in a wheelchair which was no problem in this hotel- most amenities are on the ground floor, as was our room.
In addition, I would recommend this hotel and booking any tours from here as we later found out that Kumar can organise these for a good price. Podi (tuk tuk driver) is a very helpful and genuine guy who will take you on a day trip where ever you want to go. We went on a day trip to Galle, stopping off at many places of interest that he knew along the way, and he continued to look after us for the remainder of our stay of 3 weeks in Sri Lanka.
As well as this, the food was great at the hotel and the swimming pool and garden are well looked after. When it was our time to leave Bentota for Yala national park, Kumar (the owner of the hotel) drove us the 4 to 5 hour journey to our next hotel for a good price. He also picked us up in 4 days to take us back to Waskaduwa (to another hotel) which was about 35 mins from Bentota. Unfortunately, when I wanted to go out I found the other tuk tuk drivers outside were charging far too much for short journeys. Therefore, we decided to phone Podi from Hotel Bentota Village and he came the next day to take us out. We knew we would be looked after when we were with Podi.
We also arranged to visit Kandy through Kumar as he was more reasonable than other tour operators. Kumar is a very kind hearted man and a friend to all his staff and guests staying at his hotel.
As we began our trip to Kandy, Podi and Massie picked us up from our hotel in Waskaduwa and drove us there. On the way we stopped at Pinnawela elephant orphanage, and spent the next 2 days in Kandy. Podi and Massie were there to take us to see things as we pleased.
Overall, we could not recommend the staff at Hotel Bentota Village more highly, and cannot wait to go back there again. We truly feel that we have made friends we will stay in contact with upon returning from our holiday. We wish Kumar and his staff all the best in the future.

Scott and Emma
From London, United Kingdom

• Stayed: July 2011

Reviewed 29 August 2011

We had one night at this lovely hotel this month. It was lovely to sit by the pool amongst the beautiful trees and plants. We had lunch and breakfast here and the food was very good. The room was a great size too. I found the staff to be very friendly, albeit a little slow with service. I travelled with my two youngest and although the hotel was lovely, it is not really child friendly as everyone sitting by the pool were just quietly reading! We didn't see any other children there. It was fine though just for one night, but I wouldn't take the kids there for any longer as it was a much quieter hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank desertwanderer88
Reviewed 9 January 2011

It's now my 8th trip to Sri Lanka and my 5th trip to Bentota Village Hotel and I still find it an uncomparably good place to stay. Not only the hotel rooms are very tasteful and clean compared to other hotels. Also the food is very good and for leisure time there is a wonderful extremly clean and big pool where you can really swim and not just only cool down for a minute.
Unlike Mrs. LeedsNomad (see review below) I experienced the management and the staff very competent and extremely friendly and caring. I don't know what happened to Mrs. LeedsNomad that she was so frustrated to state such an unfair and in my eyes completely unjustified review, but I never had any similar experience like her.
Me traveling as a single female person should be the first to be addressed by the beach boys, but there were NEVER beach boys at THIS hotel. Of course there are other sri lankan men (e.g. managers from other hotels, business men who want to organize events at this hotel etc.). Obviously for Mrs. LeedsNomad every sri lankan man is a beach boy!
Regarding the ayurvedic treatments I had extremely good experience. Not only the ayurvedic doctor is highly competent although she's rather young but also the whole therapist team does an excellent job.
Compared to other hotels the price-value at the Bentota Village Hotel is much more than good! You really get a lot for your money. Not to forget that it's a really beautiful and peaceful place with only 14 rooms and with usually very nice guests. But obviously sometimes there are exeptions ;-)
I definitely will come back again!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Traveljakobine
Reviewed 7 September 2010

Been to more than 5 hotels in Sri lanka, we can say our stay at
this hotel was by far the most fantastic . It’s even hard to define what’s the best thing about the hotel , could be the staff always smiling at you . Basically each and every person on staff is what makes it such a special place .
Upon entering the premises, you might actually bump into the owner and carry on a happy casual conversation, what happened to us and all of a sudden we were upgraded to one of the loveliest rooms in the whole hotel. Overall I would say that the service, I rarely see anywhere.
The other outstanding feature of this hotel is food. We were on full board and enjoyed each of our delicious nutritious.
I also frequented to spa for a facial massage. There were a number of people on obesity treatment, they say this Ayrweda medicine’s drawn them back to the hotel for more than the third time. So I reckon it’s really working.
Apart from going to the beach this place has got loads of things to do on offer. For instance going to a mountain lake and waterfall in jungles, a river boat trip, fishing, the nature is really eye popping, I’ve never seen anything like this in my entire life.
So if you want to get a great experience of a wild nature , to see the most picturesque spots o f Sri Lanka don’t hesitate a single moment book with BVH

Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alina_tolosh
Reviewed 17 August 2010

Having just read the report about the Bentota Village Hotel by a person
from Leeds, I'd like to give my opinion . It couldn't be more different.
Bentota Village Hotel is a delighfully small hotel, 14 clean rooms done to
a high standard.
The hotel is really quiet which makes it a wonderful place to relax.
You can have highly professional Ayurveda or massages which are carried
out by a qualified doctor.
The staff are polite, friendly and fullfill your every wish without being overbearing.
The cuisine is excellent, I have never eaten better food. If i wanted something
different or special to eat, this was carried out immediately in a very friendly
way.
I stayed in this beautiful hotel from 4. February - 18.February 2010 , because
it was so fantastic I went again from 2. May - 15. May 2010. My next holiday at
Bentota village Hotel is already planned.
I really cannot praise this hotel enough.
In my opinion, the commnents from the people in Leeds are fictitious and
spiteful.
Bentota Village Hotel is one of the most wonderful small hotels I have ever stayed
in. I can only recommend it !
Should there be any questions , please don't hesitate to contact me.
My e-mail-address : Uli.Trost@t-online.de

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank UliT
Reviewed 21 July 2010

This hotel was under refurbishment.Now the hotel is getting excellent comments for all markets.I had been with two families for 2 days.No words to explain.My client had a back pain before arriving.After therapy massage she we extremely delighted.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 February 2010

Although it looks very grand when your arrive through the entrance gates decorated with huge metal work sculptures of elephants, the hotel does not live up to it's decor by a long way.
Absolutely awful place, it appears to be the hangout for the local "Beach Boys", most of them live on site. It is vey difficult to go anywhere in the hotel complex without being harrassed by one of them, wanting to take you somewhere or offering a sexual experience, despite being with my husband. I found it very difficult to cope with, as this was supposed to be a relaxing holiday. Gangs of local boys hang around outside the hotel all day & night, lines of tuk-tuks parked outside, with the boys propositioning any female tourist that walks by, it's a very intimidating experience.
The spa aspect of the hotel, is just another oportunity for the local boys to ogle the female guests, the ayurvedic area is based next to the beach boys boarding house, so the have full view of you having your treatments, more often than not a group will gather, when it becomes apparent that you will be using the spa services, they will sit within eyesight, catcalling for the whole time. Needless to say I did not indulge in the relaxing spa opportunity on offer, after hearing complaints from other guests.
When you do manage to leave the hotel, Bentota is beautiful, but this Hotel gives the place a bad name. There are many other places to stay, that do not allow beach boys onto their property. The hotel is clean, unremarkable and massively overpriced.
I did witness a female guest complaining about a beach boy, living at the hotel, beating a stray puppy outside the entrance, the hotel's immediate response was to gather a group of boys around and attempt intimidate the lady, by mimicing her voice stating "I am very angry", over and over again, laughing with each other until the lady was forced to give up her complaint and leave. this behaviour was disgusting, fortunately we were coming to the end of our stay at this point, otherwise I would have packed our belongings and moved to another hotel. I cannot stress enough, that this hotel is a badly managed, overpriced and generally a place for the local youths to hangout.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple