Shangri-Lanka Villa
US$81
US$117
US$105
  • Breakfast included
Vivanta by Taj - Bentota(Bentota)
US$156
Priceline
Saman Villas(Bentota)
US$370
TripAdvisor
All reviewskaren rohantuk tuksri lankawonderful hostsday tourhuge bathroomother guestspaddy fieldsguest housejumbo prawnslittle piece of paradisebird lifeyala national parkboutique hotellovely pooltea plantationrelaxing break
Reviewed 22 March 2010

Everything thats been said in previous reviews is true. Its a lovely place to stay for a relaxing break in the sunshine. The rooms are spacious and clean. The pool and grounds are great. The food prepared by Karen and served by the boys is excellent, and anything you want is prepared freshly each day.
I thought Champagnelife2010 had posted my review for me as that was exactly what we did everyday. Early morning tea on the balcony followed by breakfast at your leisure. Down to the pool for some sun and relaxation with a good book. Back to balcony for a beer and lunch before returning to the poolside after the midday day sun for for some more r and r.
I was worried about the mossies before I went and took everything known to man to deter them. In the event I was bitten twice in 13 days. Rohan says they only come out between 5-30 and 7 pm in the evening, which appeared to be the case, the time we were in our room for drinks and to prepare for dinner.
I have marked down sleep quality only because the monkeys appear some mornings at daybreak and use the roof as a staging post. And at about 6-30 am each morning the baker comes round with a musical jingle, but the cakes and savoury pastries are well worth getting up for.
I could go on but I will leave it for my next visit already planned for Jan 2011.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 March 2010

I can make it short: All former reviews reflect exactly what ShangriLanka Villa is: A true and unique paradise conducted by the most charming and skilled Karen and Rohan! We stayed there nearly 2 weeks and we enjoyed everything at its best, including the two house dogs Bobby and Maizie. If you have time, it is a must to go with Rohan on a three days' tour to discover some of the major beauties of Sri Lanka. We had great dinners with some other guests and - in our still cold Switzerland - we miss the wonderful breakfasts on the terrace of our room. We will definitely come back. Thank you!

Reviewed 18 March 2010

We arrived at the Shangri Lanka boutique guest house after a four day tour with Rohan (one half of SLV). If you visit Sri Lanka a tour is a must as it is the best way to see and sample Sri Lanka at its best. Rohan was perfect as our guide and driver, being a local he knew all the bet places to take us and was always a great source of information to find out about what the guide books don't tell you.

We met Karen (the other half of SLV) when we arrived at the villa. We settled into the 2nd floor room, with large double bed, spacious bathroom and within minutes we were unpacked and soon sitting on the balcony enjoying a large glass of Lion beer. It took us about a day to relax into the life and routine of the villa and we soon found ourselves in a routine of gorgeous breakfasts with fresh bread, pancakes, bacon, sausage, homemade jam, fresh fruit platters and tea every morning brilliantly served by the boys, then spending the rest of the morning reading by the pool soaking up the rays and swimming. By lunchtime we were back on our balcony enjoying a freshly made BLT with chips, before further sunbathing and swimming by the pool in the afternoon.

Towards the evening our dinner order was taken, you can ask for what ever you like, whether it be a BBQ, fresh fish from the town or lovely chicken curry to name a few meals we had. We would drink, eat and chat the night away with fellow guests and Karen & Rohan before retiring for the night ready for another big breakfast in the morning,

If your looking for somewhere in Sri Lanka to relax and do very little, have five star service from Karen, Rohan and the boys (Chaminda, Dhanuska and Sanka) then this is the place. We stayed 7 nights in all and would love to return with friends.

Reviewed 11 March 2010

What a great place to unwind; relaxation being a speciality in this laid back, peaceful, boutique guesthouse. A great personal, yet unobtrusive service offered by the hosts Rohan and Karen make this a really enjoyable spot. The rooms are spacious, simple and comfortable. The near empty Bentota beach is a mere 10 minute stroll through the adjacent fields (with an interesting array of wildlife en-route); a fine way to spend an afternoon lazing on the sand or crashing about in the sea (which was generally wavy to rough during our stay - but good fun). We tried a few local restaurants as recommended by Karen and Rohan, but the food at the guesthouse is well recommended, particularly if there are a few guests on site to enjoy a chatty dinner in the garden over a few cocktails or Lion beers. A short tour of a least part of the island is a must, and Rohan will do a fine job of lining this up for you - his nephew Ashanka took us for a 3 day tour along the coast to Yala park where like everone else we didn't spot a Leopard! The tour also took in the stunning tea plantations and high country alongwith Kandy for some culture. We'll be back for sure!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
shangrilanka, owner at Shangri-Lanka Villa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2010

Thanks very much for all your comments it is most appreciated

Reviewed 10 March 2010

My daughter and I only had one night at Shangri-Lanka, to end our two weeks of touring around and we undoubtedly saved the best until last!

This is a true home-from-home, but located in a tropical paradise. It would be hard not to feel truly relaxed or at home here. Karen and Rohan are true professionals, delivering a fantastic holiday experience and being so very friendly and approachable without ever being intrusive. The lovely touch of king coconuts magically appearing on our balcony within moments of our arrival was an example of this, as was a mosquito coil under the same balcony table just before dusk .. all quietly and efficiently done as was everything at this lovely place.

We were here to meet up with friends from India and our excellent dinner was served down in the garden, as was breakfast, when we joined the other couple staying at Shangri Lanka too. Just having 6 of us here meant that friendships were formed easily and added to the lovely holiday experience.

What more can I say? The room ... well, it wasn't just a room, it was an apartment ... was huge and so beautifully decorated that I wish I had Karen at my home to practise her design skills further. We had the top floor suite but had a good nose around at the other two so can confidently say that no one would be disappointed, whatever one you had. The pool was gorgeous and hotter than most hot-water showers in most of the guesthouses that we usually stay at. The 2 family dogs are real characters and the luckiest former street dogs ever ... fancy ending up in a place like this!!

Bentota Beach, an easy level walk away, is fine for beach lovers but for me, true paradise was right there at the villa, surrounded by tropical greenery, butterflies and birds. I only hope my photos do it justice. Thank you Karen and Rohan, for a short, but intense holiday experience. I only hope I can return again soon.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends