“Good value in Galle Fort”
Review of Frangipani Motel

Frangipani Motel
Ranked #71 of 125 Galle B&B and Inns
Chester, United Kingdom
“Good value in Galle Fort”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We found this large roomed hotel very convenient for 2 night stay in Galle old town area.Mosquito nets,fans,a/c,large balcony,clean and comfortable. Minor sink problem quickly sorted,and plenty of hot water (once I found the switch! )Breakfast extra, very nice.Good value.I was impressed how all the bedding and mattress were aired outside and great attention to a nice fresh bed and clean floor.

Room Tip: Seemed a quieter street,hotel set back from road in garden,so no traffic noise really at night.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Unawatuna, Sri Lanka
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Located in the heart of Galle Fort, we found this hotel last minute, we book a room (N° 15) with a large terrace, all was very clean and comfortable. Very calm as in the fort. Breakfast is correct. The owner pays keeps the standard.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I didn't really do my homework before arriving in Galle Fort so I just went by LonelyPlanet and to be honest I think there are probably better options around (Mango House, for example). As with a lot of places that get featured in LP, the prices go up and the quality goes down. It was very quiet when I was there, the lounge and dining area were deserted and it was a little dark and gloomy inside. The room and bathroom were spacious and clean, nothing to complain about there. The one bright spot was that the family that run the place was extremely accommodating to me, I was able to leave some shopping there whilst I went to Mirissa for a few days and also leave my backpack there one of the days when I was just passing through and taking photos.

If you need a place to stay on short notice for a night then this place is ideally situated smack in the centre of the Fort area. But if you really want the chic experience that Fort has come to be then spend a little more and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Island of Malta, Malta
Reviewed 14 December 2013 via mobile

Very kind staff and good value for its location(in the heart of galle fort). We paid 2800lkr per night for an air con room. Room was clean and Breakfast was nice (not included). They forgot to wash my clothes which were still damp when I left

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Taichung, Taiwan
Reviewed 26 November 2013

For the first time visit Galle, this will be a nice choice for stay. This hotel is clean and with good service. You can tell the stuffs all the problem u meet and they are very well to help us. And the breakfirst here is delicious for us. Anyway, this is recommendable hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Cartersville, Georgia
Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

After reading the reviews for Frangipani Motel, I booked a room on Agoda, and when I arrived was startled to discover the 'locals price' was half of what they charge tourists who book ahead. In the middle of a heatwave, I had to ask for the A/C controller, when it was included in the price. Hot water was not easy to come by. And after arranging a private tour to Kandy with a driver they recommended, I simply felt taken advantage of for having lighter skin -- clearly he had been told that I was covering his meals and expenses, yet nothing had been said to me. Not to mention, I was charged way too much for the tour, yet was at the mercy of the owners for their help, given I had already paid double for the room in advance. The coffee and breakfast I was promised, was not given. Etc. Etc. While seemingly nice people, in the end it felt like a scam. There are plenty of cute, boutique-ish places to stay within the old fort than staying here... and at far better prices!

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Galle hotels

West Sacramento, California
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We (myself and 3 others) stayed here 3 nights ago and it was exactly what we were looking for. The location was amazing: we were in the middle of Galle Fort, and close to several restaurants and gift shops (as well as 2 gelato parlours). The value of the rooms was also pretty outstanding, since it was the cleanest place we've stayed at in Sri Lanka, felt very homey, and we had a balcony to chillax on. The owner, Ajith, lives just across the street and will drive you where you need to go in his tuk-tuk. We only stayed 1 night, but if we could replan the trip, we definitely would've stayed more just because of how awesome it was!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends