“Lovely place for lunch” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Galle Fort Hotel Restaurant

Galle Fort Hotel Restaurant
Ranked #55 of 235 Restaurants in Galle
Cuisines: Sri Lankan, European, Asian, Fusion, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Drinks, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: cafe lunches & asian fusion set menu dinners on the verandah with a full bar open midday - 10pm, wine beer and cocktails.
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Lovely place for lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2014

We had lunch here whilst visiting Galle. It is so beautiful - like a piece of colonial Sri Lanka which has been left behind. We enjoyed sitting in the shady cool courtyard sipping our lime and sodas, and had a lovely meal, which was probably a bit expensive compared to other places we could have eaten, but was nonetheless still very enjoyable.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank superhols

Florida, New York
“Not bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

I found this place while my travel in Asia. It is inside of the Galle fort. The hotel is Managment by Srilankan and foreigners. But there is nothing to special, I think they must be to take care of the the Guest.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
BROMLEY, KENT, UK
“Be prepared to be ripped off!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

My wife and I visited Galle Fort during the day and saw the Galle Fort Hotel. They had on tables in the foyer details of the A la carte menu for the evening before Valentines night. The price of the meal was indicated as SLR 3000 per person (approx £15) with a ++ following the price. My wife and I actually discussed together what the ++ actually meant and thought very wrongly that it was perhaps the extra for service charge or even purchased wine and coffee etc.

Thinking no more about it we booked a table and duly arrived for our dinner in the evening. The service was good and the food was also of good quality and prepared nicely. We purchased a bottle of wine and a bottle of water for SLR 4050 (approx £20). That to us with a 10% service charge that works out at about £55.

We completed our meal and requested the bill after a pleasant evening together. The bill arrived and we noticed that after all the incidentals had been added up including the 10% service charge there was an additional 14% added to the total bill of SLR 1547.70 (approx £7) for a Statutory
Levy. Making the total cost of our meal SLR 12,602.70 (Approx £62).

We felt angry and upset that this charge had been actually hidden from us and although
£7 wouldn't break the bank, it is a lot of money in Sri Lanka! We asked to speak with the manager who introduced himself to us as the evening manager and not the overall manager of the restaurant. We were told that the extra charge was VAT and that he was authorised to refund only the service charge, which he was prepared to do. As the service was good we felt that this was totally unfair on the waiters who had done a grand job. He also showed me a wine menu which had printed in very small writing at the bottom of the page that a service charge and a statutory levy would be applied. I did not see this when I ordered my wine but in any case there was nothing mentioned anywhere about the extra levy on the food.

My argument was that these charges should have been clearly indicated on the menu card rather than ++ or included in the cost of food as apparently it is done elsewhere in Sri Lanka. So we felt that we had been 'ripped off' by not being informed before we had our meal that these extra charges would apply. Actually we have subsequently ascertained that VAT in Sri Lanka is 12% so what is with this extra 2%?

I asked the evening manager to inform his manager to kindly contact me with an explanation of these additional charges leaving my email address with him. To this date Mr Oliver James has failed to do so, and again, I assume he must have thought that I wouldn't be going back to his establishment before returning home so why should he bother!

It is clear to me that this restaurant wanted to indicate a cheaper price for their meals on the menu card and thus attract customers like a spider into a web and hit them with a large bill after they had a drink or two.

Sri Lanka is a wonderful country with very warm hearted people. Managers of establishments like this have a duty to accurately inform their customers of charges and levies to attract them to this country which will then benefit all the people of this country. Sadly when we return next year we will not be eating in the Galle Fort Hotel.

BE PREPARED TO BE RIPPED OFF HERE!

• Visited February 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank ROBWAT
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

We booked supper here as we had been recommended to eat here by some friends. The staff were disinterested and just about managed to take our order. Food bland and poorly presented. There are plenty of nicer places to eat in Galle.

Singapore
“A handsome, colonial treasure”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

This UNESCO-accredited hotel is worth a stop, to sit on the veranda or the courtyard. Imagine the tea-traders and colonists of old sipping a beer, complaining about the heat and appreciating the breezy, fanned balconies.

Visited February 2014