“Unique atmosphere and the BEST pot of tea”
Review of Royal Dutch Cafe

Royal Dutch Cafe
Ranked #2 of 9 Coffee & Tea in Galle
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Owned by Fazal Badurdeen who is a well known story teller about Galle. Serves the "best tea" in town as weel Owned by Fazal Badurdeen who is well known for his stories about Galle Fort. Serves the "best tea in town" as well as lunch and dinner.
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Upon entrance, this little cafe caught my attention due to its lovely atmosphere and a friendly smile by the owner, Mr Fazal. We ordered a gin bing juice which was a combination of papaya, pineapple, gingerbeer and various other delicious ingredients. It was truly a unique and one of a kind drink. The sheer taste of it showed originality. Mr Fazal was too kind as he also shared his recipe with us.

And of course how could we not order a pot of tea, and to our amazement, that too was splendid, the perfect balance of cardomom, tea and sugar. It was truly a treat to the taste buds! It was clear that the food made in this unique cafe was made with love and care! As it undeniably reflects in the food and beverages been served!

Prices are extremely reasonable, go there not only for the food but also for the experience and service! Really excited to visit again during my next visit to Sri Lanka.

2  Thank Farha F

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I rented an apartment and was living in Galle Fort for a month. Focusing on my painting.
Galle Fort has it's own special atmosphere, but within it is a very magical place, which I discovered by chance down one of the small streets. The Royal Dutch Café is a random collection of small tables covered in pretty tablecloths, and surrounded by colour on all sides.....antique blue & white china dishes, old paintings on one wall, materials of all colours hanging...and all behind a backdrop of thick, lush tropical plants.

It became to me an absolute haven, This was made all the more special by the amazing Fazal. A genteel but inspirational character, full of vibrant and thoroughly interesting tales...and words of wisdom !! From an amazing array of teas...my regular fix was Ginger tea...full with pieces of fresh ginger.....delicious!! Supplemented by homemade ginger biscuits....sublime !!
Words cannot describe what my short moments during each day meant to me here!!!
Thank you, thank you Fazal...

Thoroughly recommend this place....please make sure you don't leave Galle Fort without a calming sojourn in here with Fazal.

1  Thank Melinda R
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

I was volunteering in galle when I came across fazal's cafe. It was a steal away from the usual volunteer day. I'd go to the royal Dutch cafe for a much needed break and some perspective in the way of chatting with Fazal. Over a cup of ginger tea. That was my favorite thing to do. His cinnamon iced coffee is really good on a hot day. My friends and I enjoyed many evenings there chatting to fazal and asking him to tell us stories. This place is quaint, drenched in history, and is so 'home made' that it's comforting. You'd be having tea in a porch that is 300 years old!

Pro tip: if your there at about 5.30 or 6 pm there's a tuk tuk bakery that drives by. Buy a fresh bun. Get some tea.

2  Thank Hashani P
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I'm so happy I visited this restaurant! The food is great, the atmosphere is delightful, and Fazal is a wonderful host. If you have the time he'll tell you stories about Galle from the old days - he's very proud of his heritage and it's not hard to see why. People like Fazal and places like the Royal Dutch Cafe are the reason why Galle is such a great community.

Thank you Fazal and friends for the moonlight picnic in February 2014 - it was amazing to meet all of you. I wish all of you the best and hope all your picnics are special. :)

Susan and Erin from Nova Scotia, Canada

Reviewed 2 July 2014

This lovely little cafe/restaurant/shop should be top of peoples' lists of places to visit in the Galle Fort. While we didn't eat, the tea is definitely the best in town (and I drink a LOT of tea), and the shop is full of beautifully handmade clothes as well as jewellery and other trinkets. However, the highlight of it all has to be Mr Fazal. A friend and I spent well over two hours chatting with him and listening to his stories - his business card states that he is a storyteller and this is absolutely true! Mr Fazal really does know a lot about a lot, and is wonderful company. I will be sure to visit him every time I am in Galle, and my friend and I are now planning a day trip back to Galle just so we can hear more of his stories and perhaps even try the delicious homemade food he serves. What a great place to let go of your schedule and just be.