“A traditional Sri Lankan styled guest house in the heart of the old fort”

and 1 more site!
Thenu Rest Guest House
Ranked #44 of 117 Galle B&B and Inns
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“A traditional Sri Lankan styled guest house in the heart of the old fort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2012 via mobile

A traditional Sri Lankan styled guest house in the heart of the old fort. Run by a lovely family who make you feel at home. Great location in the heart of beautiful Galle. Few rooms in a popular location so you may need to book early.

• Stayed November 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2012

This was the second time we have stayed at Thenu Rest. The friendly and helpful owners made such a favourable impression on us the first time and so we did not hesitate to return on the second visit. On this occasion, we arrived without booking in advance and were lucky to be offered the same room as on the first visit.

Thenu Rest is a family home but guests may use the ground floor lounge in which is located a computer with free wi-fi. The guest rooms are located on the first and second floors. I'm not sure how many - perhaps six.

Being on a budget, we usually opt for non-a/c and our room was one of two on the top floor. We thought the room was delightfully (even romantically!) presented, small, but nicely furnished with a compact and clean ensuite bathroom. Some people might find a non-a/c room rather hot at night, but it was no hotter than any of the other non-a/c rooms I've stayed in in the south of Sri Lanka.

Just outside the room was a useful open-air seating area, which was used by only one other room and so it was a lovely place to sit and relax and listen to the sound of the sea just a few metres away. There was also a sink there and so it was an ideal place to wash clothes and leave them to dry safely.

We sampled the food on one occasion, and the owner brought it upstairs to our outdoor seating area - very tasty, reasonably priced and very generous portions! As in most places in Galle Fort, there are no alcoholic drinks.

Thenu Rest is located at the southeastern corner of Galle Fort. As such you will not be able to watch the sun go down from your balcony, but on the other hand you won't have to pay the huge premiums which the hotels on the western side will charge you for the privilege! At 2500Rs for the room, we thought this guest house measured up very well to the other places we looked at in the Fort.

All in all we were very happy with Thenu Rest and we shall stay there again the next time we are passing through Galle.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Londonone2
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

1 night stay
top floor double, with fan

Ever the impulsive traveler, I turned up on the doorstep of Thenu Rest, at what is a late our in Galle. Not a problem! I was welcomed in and shown available rooms.
I plucked for a top floor room which exceeded my needs for comfort. The terrace on this floor is very peaceful with a near view of the operating lighthouse (some 100m away), partial seas view and the sound of waves breaking against the Forts embankments.

You have privacy here, yet the family touch is waiting to be shared. I got to chatting with the owner/operators, a local couple, and wished I had more time to spend with them....and their cat, the night watchman.

Maps, travel guides and other small eclectic selection of travel literature is made available as is internet access. I even enjoyed a brief international call on the house!

Will stop here next time I'm fortunate enough to be in Galle!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank nomad_nonsense
York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

We stayed here for three nights in the double air con room. The room was very nice, clean and air conditioned there were two small annoyances however. Firstly the TV was unwatchable (there's a TV downstairs so not a big deal) and secondly the air con room has a very large window which opens onto a communal balcony with nothing but a net curtain for privacy. I went out and checked and with the lights off nobody from outside can see in, but it still felt a bit strange.

The location is fantastic.

Otherwise breakfast was very nice each morning (Rs600pp) and we found the owners to be quite pleasant. We were offered a tour in one of the owners relatives tuc tucs however we didn't take him up on the offer. We were charged Rs100 for the 0.5km trip to the station. There is a computer available for guest use.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dps89
Galle, Sri Lanka
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2012

Stay here! As a lone traveler (even as a man) it's nice to find places that feel secure. It doesn't get more secure than this. It's run by a family, and a great family at that. The dad is/was a sea diver by trade and worked in Dubai, I believe. The mom is a great lady and a beautiful woman. The kids are all studies and all smiles.

They invited me down for dinner without my asking (as it turned out I was quite hungry, and was treated to some great curry and the famous hoppers-bowl shaped pancakes-of Sri Lankan cuisine).

It feels like hanging out with family here, and it's one of very few experiences I've had like that since traveling (six months, this time around).

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank GoosieDoo
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

A small guest house in gorgeous Galle Fort. I spent ten days here for the test match. Originally booked online but when I arrived the room that I had booked was going to be given to someone else and I he tried to move me to a different guest house without wi fi.

After 45 minutes of little conversation and minor haggling sat in the living room I took the air condition room on the 1st floor.

It is a nice enough room with excellent net and a decent bed. The shower is ok and the wifi good.

The family are really nie with 2 children and a small cat, and everything is very laid back.

They lock up at 10pm but if you come back late you just ring the doorbell.

Can't speak for the food as I ate out every night, but I'm sure it's great.

Everything in the fort is nearby and if on a budget its an excellent place to stay, then go for drinks at the 5 star hotels 3 minutes walk around the corner.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank DJDB
Berlin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2012

The location is really perfect: closed to the sea directly in front of the walls belonging to the fort - so completely quite and in the historical center of Galle. All members of the family are very friendly. The rooms dipose of different facilities. Ours had a wonderful bed with the best mosquito net we had during our trip (!), ac, wifi, nice furniture, tv with 'limited' functions, hot water, a very simple bathroom, that becomes completely wet with the shower ... But this was ok for us in this price range. The house and all sheets and towels offered were absolutely clean. The breakfast offer maybe a little bit expensive ... and there is also a much bigger choice in the restaurants around.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple