“Best welcome we've had in Sri Lanka”

Seagreen Guesthouse
Ranked #4 of 161 Galle B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 November 2012

We stayed just one night at Seagreen but it was enough to make it our regular guesthouse for our future visits to Galle!

We arrived to be greeted by Naman and his wife Maike who took our bags and welcomed us with a fresh juice and great conversation. We were immediately made to feel very much at home by them.

Our A/C room was very spacious, very clean and included a complementary bottle of water - this is the only time we have had anything complementary in the room in this price range! The bathroom was also very clean, and again, had the best shower we've had for the price of the room. The bed was very comfortable and we slept brilliantly.

We left our bags at the guesthouse in the morning so that we could go for breakfast and have a wander around Galle. Maike kindly got the ongoing train times for us and we ended up staying for another half an hour just chatting with Maike and Naman about life in Sri Lanka and in Galle. They also arranged for their trishaw to take us onto the train station. They were very friendly, welcoming, and all in all we had a short but lovely stay with them. We have already reserved our room for our visit to Galle later in November! Many thanks to you both, see you soon!

Reviewed 3 November 2012

This place is a very nice old building, restaurated with preserving the old characteristics of the building. We had a great, clean, verywell maintained room with a very clean (and very blue!) bathroom with a 'walk-in shower'.
The guesthouse is located in a good area to visit the entire fort and is also has a rooftop terrace where you can enjoy the view of the sunset.
You can enjoy the food next door (from the brother of the owner).
From Galle we travelled straight through to the airport near Colombo which we liked.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2012

Our stay at Seagreen Guesthaouse was really a pleasure!! We had a great time and a lot of fun, especially because of Naman, the friendly owner.
The rooms are pretty nice and clean and I would definately go back every time!!
Greetings and a warm hug from Munich!!!
Katharina

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 October 2012

I can't recommend Seagreen enough. We spent two weeks in Sri Lanka and by Asian standards, accommodation is expensive. Therefore I was amazed by how cheap this place was but how positive its reviews were. It is all justified. The rooms are very tasteful, very large, nice bathrooms and lovely hospitality. It is also at a great location, can highly recommend!

Room Tip: We stayed in the airconditioned room which was worth the extra money (it's very hot) and the roo...
1  Thank Tess712
Reviewed 14 October 2012 via mobile

We stayed there for one night atban a/c room for 4500 rps (about 35$). Highly recommended: one of the most comfortable beds, very warm hospitality, great common areas with very nice views.
Didnt try the restaurant though so we cant realy tell about that.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank imki
Reviewed 10 October 2012

From the initial email contact we made to Naman (the owner right) until the moment we nearly left the guest house without paying, this was a truly amazing experience!

Over email Naman was extremely helpful and prompt in replying. We wanted to visit a spice garden and to have a Sri Lankan cookery lesson, on arrival both of these requests had been organised.

We arrived and we were pretty down as it had been raining non-stop for two stops and the forecasts were not good. Naman gave us some space and even let us borrow his personal laptop to try to work out how to avoid the rain for the rest of our trip.

Our room had everything you would need - one of the most comfortable beds in Sri Lanka, air con and the most amazing shower! There were even nice touches such as the bottles of water by the bed and the guest house staff went to the effort of making patterns out of the bed sheets. All in all as the room goes it was excellent value for money.

On one of the days Naman organised for Indiga, the guest house private tuk tuk driver to take us on a tour to see a turtle hatchery, the stick fishermen and a spice garden. Although it was raining Indiga did not give up on his task of finding us some stick fishermen until we decided that there was no chance we would see them in the monsoon rains. The tour was very good value (R1500) as the spice garden was 15km outside of Galle.I would highly recommend doing this little tour if you have run out of things to do in the city.

The afternoon came and the monsoon rain kept coming as well! However, at Seagreen there is always something to cheer you up. If it isn't the Seagreen restaurant next door (check out this place - the Sri Lankan breakfast and the Rice & Curry in the evening were unbelievably good!) owned by Naman's brother and sister-in-law then it is Naman himself! He could see that we were down and upset about the weather ruining our holiday. So he went out of his way to organise one of the best evenings ever...

It started off by him inviting his friends over, Tyronne and Chami. All 5 of us then went to supermarket to buy the ingredients for the traditional Sri Lankan meal we were going to cook later. For my girlfriend this was a brilliant experience as she loves to cook. Little did we know but Tyronne was also a superstar DJ in Sri Lanka and he had brought his DJ decks for the evening. Everything about this evening was setting up to be perfect.

After the shopping experience I mentioned to Naman that I would love to drive a Tuk Tuk. When we arrived back at the guest house Naman instructed Indiga to take me on a tuk tuk driving lesson. It was so much fun and one of the highlights of my trip. I did four laps of the Galle fort in a tuk tuk and by the last one I was flying around the streets. Thank you so much for that opportunity! I will never forget the other tourist's faces to see me driving a tuk tuk!

After the tuk tuk driving lesson for the next 3 hours we all helped/ watched Chami teach us how to cook 4 different curries from absolute scratch. By the time the meal was ready myself, Tyronne and Naman had finished off the first bottle of Arrack (Naman only had one or two glasses if his wife reads this!). We all then sat down for the meal - there was four different curries, rice, poppadoms, salad, it was just simply sublime. As it was a traditional Sri Lankan meal we were also taught how to eat with our hands which was another very interesting experience. I am not exaggerating here but the food was honestly one of the best meals I have EVER eaten, easily in my top 3 meals ever. It really was that good. I just hope my girlfriend gets somewhere close to replicating it when we get home....!

The night continued with lot's more laughs, the DJ dropping big tunes and plenty more arrack!! All in all this was an incredible night that we will remember for years to come.

In the morning when we all feeling a bit fragile we were given the 'king coconut' as a hangover cure. Later over a cup of tea the wonderful Naman presented my girlfriend and I with Sri Lankan cricket tops as a gift.This further showed what a kind and generous person this man really is. For the short amount of time we were in Galle I honestly think I have to come back to Sri Lanka just to stay at Seagreen and see all the people that live and work there. Naman you are a hero!

After a few emotional good byes we were being driven to the bus station by Indiga and we realised we hadn't paid for our stay. We headed straight back to Seagreen and this just added to the hilarity of the 24 hours we had just had.

So we left for the second time and Indiga ensured we got on the correct bus to Bentota.

This was an incredible experience and I cannot write enough superlatives for Seagreen. It is well and truly the BEST GUEST HOUSE IN SRI LANKA! I look forward to visiting again...

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Luke C
Reviewed 9 October 2012

Where do I start...after being recommended Seagreen for a stay whilst on a tour of Sri Lanka, by a friend who'd stayed in Galle for six weeks, I had emailed the owner a few weeks before to book our stay. He was immediately helpful and offered assistsnce with train times from Colombo.
We arrived after having spent a couple of nights in Negombo, to an unfortunate mini cyclone in Galle but the staff at Seagreen were ready with umbrellas to help us in and greeted me by my name straight away. After a wonderful shower, one of the best you will find in Sri Lanka and tidy up in our immaculately clean and tidy room, decorated simply but stylishly with an extremely comfy bed and we caught up for a cup of tea with the owner.
The downstairs section of the guesthouse is the owners but his door is always open and he will often invite you for a tea, fresh coconut or fruit juice to help you feel at home. Next door is the family run Seagreen restaurant, where if you take the B&B option you will have breakfast with a wonderful view of the rampart; a choice of Sri Lankan style egg hoppers with delicious freshly made dhal and curry or a European style eggs (as you like them) toast, jam, fruit and enormous pots of tea or coffee! We also had dinner there on several occasions and whether it was the caught that day fish or prawns or delicious rice and curry all was always made freshly and from scratch in the increasingly popular and often booked up restaurant.
Naman and his brother Chana and all the staff that help at Seagreen guest house and restaurant do their utmost with natural friendliness and sincerity to make your stay special and make you feel right at home.
We visited Sri Lanka at this time to go to some of the cricket matches for the T20 and Naman helped us get tickets to a match at Galle cricket club and after returning to Galle at the end of our tour for a few nights he made sure we had excellent seats and views to watch the Perahera Buddhist parade which was spectacular.
We've left Sri Lanka having had a great trip made special by the experience and stay we had with our friends at Seagreen at their beautiful location in Galle Fort....thank you everyone!....Looking forward to our next trip!...

Room Tip: Seagreen has both air con and non air con rooms (but they have big ceiling fans instead) Most rooms...
2  Thank fiona_mitchell