“Wonderful villa in a perfect location”
other travellers have booked this property
Crocodile rock
Entrance of the front sitting room
Check Availability
Double bed room
Twin bed room
Bath room
Infinity pool
Fantastic lake views from the pool
Pool & the lake
Varendha
Glorious villa by the lake
Night view of the pool and the lake
Out side dining
Romantic evenings
Night view of the house
Tropical garden
Garden
Varendha
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Excellent - based on 31 reviews

Reviews from our community

F L
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful villa in a perfect location”
Reviewed 7 February 2014 for a stay in November 2013
people found this review helpful

Kimbulagala Watte ("Crocodile Rock" in English) is really beautiful, it's on a hill overlooking a lagoon so there's always a breeze. The house is very spacious, fantastic master bedroom en suite, lovely antiques, masses of books. There's a fabulous diving pool - no swimming in the lake as there really are crocodiles ! We loved watching the monkeys in the trees, the birdlife and the sunsets. The house is within easy reach of Galle, lots of shops & places to eat, and very historic. We also went on a day trip to Yala Game Reserve (early morning start) and enjoyed stopping at Dondra Lighthouse on the way back. But you really don't need to travel far from the house - locally there are escorted bike rides, boat trips on the lake, spoiling massages on the veranda, a very interesting local tea plantation, stilt fishermen, a turtle hatchery, and organised surfing & scuba diving for our young. Whale watching at Mirissa where there's a lovely beach. The Kimbulagala Watte staff looked after us wonderfully, delicious fish & seafood from the markets, nothing was too much trouble, we couldn't have enjoyed ourselves more. Highly recommended !

Fredddiew...
“Amazing”
Reviewed 4 February 2014 for a stay in July 2013
person found this review helpful

After a long journey which involved a connecting flight at Mumbai airport (I would recommend going direct if you can) we arrived at what has to be one of the most beautiful houses I have ever seen. To think we would be there for 10 days was a dream. We were immediately drawn to walk through the beautiful open plan living/dinning room onto the terrace which overlooked the swimming pool and the incredible view of the lake. We sat down to our first meal which was delicious and tried to take in the surroundings. The rooms are very spacious and the beds were all very comfortable. The food that was cooked for us was incredible and we always welcomed the suggestions of the chef (as long as it wasn't too hot !) There are limitless things to do near the house and the Tuc Tuc's are a great way to see everything. This was without doubt my best holiday and I would highly recommend staying in this house to anyone.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The views and swimming in the pool as the sunset
Liked least: going home
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Families with young children
anneinldn
London, United Kingdom
“Gorgeous! A picture perfect holiday - cannot wait to go back!”
Reviewed 3 February 2014 for a stay in August 2013
person found this review helpful

What an amazing two weeks! My friends and I arrived at the airport in Colombo and were immediately greeted by a driver who brought us directly to the house, where we were greeted with refreshing coconut drinks - such a nice welcome after a 10+ hour flight! After a short nap (we landed at 3am and were at the house just after 6am) we awoke to a fresh breakfast of egg hoppers and fresh fruit (delicious!) and planned our first day...

With so much to do nearby - the various beaches just a short ride away, Koggala Lake on your doorstep, and destinations all along the coast - you are really spolit for choice. Everything is easily arranged, with the generous help of the house staff who are more than happy to sort tuk tuk rides, drivers, etc., and the area offers many activities besides relaxing at the beach. From having a lazy day by the pool to exploring the natural beauty of Dondra Head, Yalla Park, Galle and everything in between, to taking a bike tour or visiting the sea turtle hatchery, you'll wonder where the time went!

Crocodile Rock is a little gem and a great place for a warm-weather getaway. The staff are friendly and accommodating and make you feel very secure and looked after (the homemade Sri Lanka curries are fantastic, as is the local seafood), the location is perfectly convenient yet still tucked away, and there is the exact balance and offering of things to do for a beachy holiday combined with plenty of exploring and 'local experience' as well. I could not recommend to more of my friends and family, and am counting down the days until my next trip to Sri Lanka!

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: beaches, Yalla, day trips, culture, food
Liked least: touristy areas, coming home!
Your age range 25-34
Friends getaway Older travelers
Large groups
Jilly B
Bellac, France
“Birds and monkeys”
Reviewed 3 February 2014 for a stay in July 2013
person found this review helpful

Fantastic location,totally private.with a breeze from the lake never sticky hot.Magic infinity pool.Charming staff.Great for beach/Galle. Diet defeating food. Best for me, however, was the huge variety of birds,three species of monkey and the evening sundowner fly past of fruit bats.
Go if you get the chance, not too many like this one.

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Georgie B
“Absolute paradise!”
Reviewed 30 January 2014 for a stay in August 2013
person found this review helpful

I arrived and was immediately offered a refreshing drink of coconut water and our entire stay in this beautiful house continued in the same way, with delicious home-made curries, tuk-tuks organised and exemplary and friendly service on every occasion, including making me the most amazing birthday cake I've ever had. Such a treat!

The house itself is in a stunning,secluded location overlooking a large lake and was perfect for both lounging by the pool and as a base for exploring the area. We had outings to various beaches, Galle itself and cycling trips as well as going to Yalle for a safari on one day. I totally relaxed and recharged here. Utter paradise, I'd thoroughly recommend and definitely would return.

ViciBurr
London, United Kingdom
“FANTASTIC - I want to go back tomorrow!!!”
Reviewed 29 January 2014 for a stay in August 2013
person found this review helpful

I stayed in Kibulagala Watte last August and had the most AMAZING time!

The weather was fantastic, the house was incredible and the friendly staff were very welcoming!

I was in a group of five people and we all fitted in very comfortably – in fact you could easily have had more guests if you had wanted. The accommodation inside and out was luxurious and beautiful and the swimming pool just asks you to get in. Couple this with the loveliest view of the lake and lush green forest with wildlife peeping out at you – makes this the perfect escape!! I will never forget having the most delicious curries sitting outside in the evening heat relaxing after visiting the local beaches.

I was slightly worried about my trip as I had just been in hospital for my back and was concerned I may not be comfortable being so far from home – but I couldn’t have been more wrong. I was looked after from start to finish and never once had an issue with my back.

I am recommending this to everyone I know and would love to go back!!!!

Overall condition of the property Service
Friends getaway Older travelers
Adam S
London, United Kingdom
“Idyllic Villa - The Perfect Getaway”
Reviewed 29 January 2014 for a stay in August 2013
person found this review helpful

Stayed for two weeks with a group of friends.

The villa is immaculate, the staff friendly and welcoming. The food was brilliant, from morning breakfasts of fruit and egg hoppers through to local seafood and authentic Sri-Lankan curries. Transfers from the airport were simple and the staff were only too helpful to organise tuk-tuks for local trips.

A perfect place to either relax and watch the world go by, either in the villa, by the pool or on the terrace or to use as a base to explore the local sights. We had wonderful day trips to Yalla National Park, the Old Town of Galle and days on local beaches.

Would happily recommend to everyone and am already looking forward to another visit some time very soon.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: A beuatiful place to relax
Liked least: Very little that could have been improved
Your age range 25-34
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Families with young children
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
from
US$450
/ Night
Book Now
Or, send the owner a message
This property has Payment Protection
Never pay for your holiday rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing