“Personal Attention in Unique setting in Galle”
Review of Fort Bliss Galle

Fort Bliss Galle
Ranked #2 of 146 Galle B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 March 2014

we were so lucky to choose Fort Bliss. This small, tastefully refurbished hotel is perfectly located next to the fort walls, with incredible views over the sea and the ramparts. The staff and especially the manager are fantastic, friendly and helpful and the breakfasts delicious. I would definitely retuen

Room Tip: the room over the sea is the best location STAY MORE THAN ONE NIGHT!!!

Reviewed 5 March 2014

This hotel is excellent. The staff are very friendly and helpful, helping to book a taxi for a pre-planned trip and bringing extra water to my room every night. Breakfast was huge & excellent with fruit, toast, eggs (however you want them!), yoghurt, sausages, juice, tea and coffee, jams, water). The room was a good size with a very comfortable bed and a mosquito net, a large en suite bathroom with walk in shower. The location is great, at the top end of lighthouse Street right next to an entry to walk on top of the fort wall. My room had a view of the sea which was lovely. Note that they only accept payment in cash.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
FortBlissGalle, Owner at Fort Bliss Galle, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear Guest,

We, at Fort Bliss are thrilled that your holiday has been a pleasure. We invite you back on your next stopover to Galle Fort.

Reviewed 2 March 2014 via mobile

We couldn't have been happier with our decision to stay at Fort Bliss, which is tucked away next to the ramparts in Galle Fort. Our room was spacious and cool, and our bathroom had an incredible monsoon/rainforest style shower. The varied, multiple course (fresh fruit, toast, banana pancake, and sausage and egg) breakfast was unexpected, and was a great start to the day. The staff at Fort Bliss are incredibly polite and are nothing but attentive, offering iced tea or coffee as we returned to the Villa in the afternoon. For less than the price of a Travelodge or Holiday Inn Express in the UK, you can't go wrong.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tom C
Reviewed 1 March 2014

My wife and I recently stayed for two nights at the wonderful Fort Bliss. This small hotel is very comfortable; but, it doesn't provide luxury accommodations of the sort many Westerners may be used to. Still we loved it. Rooms are large and beds are comfortable. The manager and staff were unfailing informative, polite and helpful. The hotel does not have a restaurant (there are many within a short walking distance). But, it does provide a really excellent breakfast. We particularly enjoyed the optional Sri Lankan style breakfast (try it!). The Fort Bliss is located within the walls of the old Galle Fort so walking anywhere within the old city is easy. It is, moreover, not far from the center of Galle, which itself is worth visiting (if only for shopping).

Note on My Rating System: My ratings are based on my personal enjoyment of a hotel, restaurant, or attraction, how it stacks up against similar properties at which I've stayed or dined, and the hospitality of management and staff. Ratings are not intended to be absolute. Hence, I might give 5 stars to a hotel that might be given only 4 or fewer by the main travel guides.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

Located in the heart of the actual fort in Galle, we were anticipating a quirky, traditional B&B, reflecting the historic nature of its location. We were not disappointed.
We received the usual Sri Lankan welcome with cooling towels and a refreshing drink. Our room certainly matched our expectations of rustic charm. Not large doubles but just about adequate. The bathroom continued the quirky theme with the concrete blue a predominant impression. We did have a problem with no hot water but the staff went out of their way to resolve the problem. Mosquitoes were certainly a concern and we did have to spray the room, exterminate a few and get the tablets going to feel confident in the netting and not wake up with the dreaded bites.
Breakfast was excellent, waiter service was a pleasant change from the norm. Real fruit juice in the form of a smoothy was another treat instead of the usual concentrate stuff. A lovely selection of fresh fruits followed by eggs of your choice and abundant brown/white toast plus yoghurts and real, fresh coffee. . . . great! A very good B&B.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Stayed at Fort Bliss for one night at the end of our tour of Sri Lanka. The hotel is housed in a small building within the fort walls which is full of character. The room was very nice with a large four poster bed and a bathroom with a huge monsoon shower. The only issue I have is with the amount of mosquitoes we found in our room when we checked in, including some inside the mosquito net over the bed. As my wife was pregnant we were very worried about getting too many insect bites, but after turning on the air con and plugging in the insect killer they seemed to go away. Apart for this we had a very good stay and the staff were very helpful and attentive, going out of their way to make sure my wife was OK and preparing a special breakfast without any pineapple as pregnant women are not supposed to eat pineapple (nobody else told us this)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
FortBlissGalle, Owner at Fort Bliss Galle, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2014

Dear Guest,

We are genuinely pleased you enjoyed your stay at Fort Bliss. The mosquitoes are a seasonal problem sadly, however each room is equipped with an insect plug-in for that very purpose.
We hope you join us again, on your next trip to Galle.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

I arrived later in the evening (close to midnight) as I was traveling from Kandy. I called the hotel multiple times but no one bothered to answer. Note there is no 24 hour desk, which is not made clear on the website. Consequently, I spent the next thirty minutes driving around Galle fort in circles looking for th place, which was infuriating seeing that I had just driven four plus hours to get there. When I arrived at the hotel, which is almost impossible to find at night due to lack of signage and improper lighting, I had to bang on the door for almost ten minutes before someone answered. After being let in, I checked in and was taken to a single room. I asked for a double, and I was given a double right away. No issues there. As soon as I got in the room, the cable didn't work, the wifi password was incorrect and my shower cut off completely mid shower! That's right there was NO water from the faucet or shower. Absolutely nothing! I waited almost 45 minutes trying to figure out what was wrong. Finally I gave up and even in another room there was no water. There are also no phones in the room to call reception if there is a problem. Furthermore just after 8 AM renovation work began, and all that could be heard was incessant pounding for the rest of the morning. Not a good way to wake up after a night with no shower. All in all this hotel is a joke when you consider that you're paying western prices for such inadequate facilities. Don't stay here!

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear Guest,

We sincerely apologize over the inconvenience caused and the troubles you incurred. However due to being a small guesthouse, we regrettably don’t have services such as a 24-hour desk service. Concerning the drilling, unfortunately it is beyond our control, as it originates from the other side of the wall. Also if you had informed the staff concerning the shower issue, they would have gladly assisted you and amended the problem immediately.
We at Fort Bliss, hope you return again, for a more delightful experience.