“Only if you have nowhere else to stay...”

New Old Dutch House
Ranked #95 of 142 Galle B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 January 2014

New Old Dutch House was our first stop. We had opted for the "villa" near the "beach". What we got was a tacky house about 15 minutes away from the Fort by tuktuk. The house was nowhere near the beach and was obviously someone's main home. The worst was finding a rat in the sink sucking on my lip balm. The rat was as surprised as I was and fled as soon as s/he could down the drain in the shower. The shower ran only cold water unless you let it run for a very LONG time. Plus the nightly rate was exorbitant for what we got in return. The staff was nice enough. The caretaker of the home was very nice. But this place should be a last ditch option.

Room Tip: The hotel or "villa" within the Fort is probably better but, according to recent reviews...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for New Old Dutch House

Reviewed 1 January 2014

It is definitely not value for money. The prices are far too high for the amenities provided. So unless you have money to burn, go somewhere else. When we checked in, we found that the room did not have an attached bathroom. We had probably missed this detail somewhere in the fine print of the booking website, which was our mistake.

When we asked for a room with an attached bath, they said they would provide it, but the price increased enormously. However, we decided to take it, but found that the so-called "attached bathroom" was a just small plastic cubicle inside the room with a shower and a w/c!! It was deeply disappointing and we felt quite frustrated, but we had no option at that stage. We found out later that there are some rooms with proper attached bathrooms (not cubicles) but we could get no rational explanation why these were not offered to us.

Otherwise, the room was very clean and the hotel, as a whole,is well maintained. The breakfast was good (both Western style and local style are available), but the service is slow as the number of staff at any given time is just one or two.The staff were quite polite and helpful.

Overall, it may be a good idea to give this hotel a miss unless there is no alternative.

Room Tip: If you are particular about it, make sure well in advance that you have a room with an attached bath...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pheno2012
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We stayed at the New Old Dutch House for 2 nights last week. And we paid in advance, which was a MISTAKE. The room was smelly and dirty, hotel staff did not respect our wishes to leave the windows closed (um, mosquito much?), breakfast would have been laughable if it hadn't been so disgusting. The room would have been a good value if it had been priced at around $15, but it was more than 5 times that price....
It is in a nice location in the fort, though.

Room Tip: don't book here.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Not quite what the Lonely Planet made it out to be. Here are 3 things that spoiled our stay there:
1. All the management wanted to do was get us to purchase their gems in their shop inside the guest house by insisting that all our interactions and conversations happened inside their small 'gem shop'. When we checked in we were escorted to the shop, it was so obvious and very annoying what they wanted. Every conversation ended with 'so, would you like to buy our gems?' even though we had told them no a number of times.
2. We checked into our room and unpacked our bags and had a drink. Only then did they realise they had given us the wrong room. When we said it was ok, they asked for more money as it was a 'more expensive room'. We either paid or had to re-pack our things and moved. It was very annoying after a long, hot journey there so we decided to pay the extra and stay in the room. It may have been a genuine mistake but it really felt like a little scheme they had going.
3. THEN! That night getting into bed a HUGE cockroach was under my pillow! It was so disgusting and it ran somewhere and hid in the bed and I ended up getting no sleep whatsoever out of fear it would crawl on my face at night.

It did however, have a lovely courtyard and a cool lobby to sit in for a drink etc.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Newtripstyle
Reviewed 15 November 2013

After reading the poor reviews this establishment received way back in August I feel like I can offer a bit of an update.

I stayed here for 3 nights from November 10th and I have to say that the service here is second to non. The young men who work here really go out of their way to look after you and will happily stop and chat and offer advice on where to go.

I actually had an issue in Sri Lanka with my bank card (the back of my card was damaged and very few places use the chip and pin here, they all use the magnetic strip off the back,) but the way that these guys went out of their way to help me was truly excellent. They had a chip and pin machine and gave me cash back, only charging me the bank charges as extra. They even said that if I need any more cash and I can't find a bank to help me to just come back and they will look after me. I actually came back when the owner was out, but they called him and organised a time for him to come back and help. Remarkable service.

I had the small room with communal bathroom which didn't bother me in the slightest, it was clean, quiet but so so hot. You don't really get a sea breeze through the fort walls so you'll have the fan on 24/7.

I really recommend this hotel, everyone is friendly (including the fantastic owner,) the service is great, the breakfast is tasty and the place is sooooo much cleaner than everywhere else I have stayed in Sri Lanka.

Good work guys, keep it up. Oh and Thanks:)

Room Tip: Room 3 that I stayed in is a bit small for couples, but perfect for the solo traveller.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank CRIPTHEGREEK82
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

I always check on trip advisor before booking a hotel but this time I didn't since the lonely planet (which I have always trusted a lot) said that it was a wonderful place, one of the most clean guest house of south sri lanka.
When I arrived at the guest house I thought it was very ugly from the outside but that maybe the room (as seen in the photos on their web site) were going o be different. The room not only was horrible but also not the one we reserved. Of course it was the last one so we had to take it. And we payed it like crazy in advanxe!!!!!!!
It was dirty and we slept with our clothes on. Plus you could hear everything from the room behind since there wasn't even an entire wall behind it. The staff is rude and doesn t even understand english or try to!
Do not go for any reason!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

Extremely bad experience with this hotel! Disgusting smell in the room, very small and dirty bathroom, unfriendly staff that gave us after complaining a room in another hotel outside the fort where we were the only guests (no staff there - just us alone in the house). There things got even worse - the house was in the middle of nowhere - and there were no drinks etc there. Moreover the shower did not work! The bedsheets were dirty and we had to change them ourselves.. Still we had to pay the full price (65 USD).. Never again!!

• Stayed: August 2013