“Home away from home!”
Review of Anne's Maisonnette

Anne's Maisonnette
Ranked #40 of 161 Galle B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I stayed with Anne and her family for two months while working in the area and I had an absolutely amazing time!
The apartments are clean, spacious and just an incredible value if you compare it to other places in Unawatuna or Galle Fort. The location is perfect if you want to discover Galle and the surrounding area, but still stay in a quiet and relaxed neighbourhood - the beaches and Galle Fort are only a short tuk-tuk or bus ride away. If you need anything you can always count on them to help you whether it is some information while planning a trip or just advice on where to buy clothes or souvenirs for a reasonable price. And they make fantastic food! The free breakfast is already a very good start into the day and so much I usually couldn’t eat it all, but if you stay here you also need to stay a few times for dinner since you will get some of the best food you can get in Sri Lanka!
I will definitely come back again!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank agathon1989

Reviewed 5 July 2013 via mobile

We booked Anne's Maisonette because we are two female students on a budget and read previous reviews which sounded great. However, as lovely as Anne was herself, this is not for the average traveller who wants somewhere comfortable and clean to stay.

First off it is about 30mins by tuc tuc from anything remotely central. You feel very far out when you arrive. Secondly there are a lot of dogs! So if you aren't too keen on them this place is not for you! Our room (and bearing in mind it was very cheap) was as clean as you could make it considering everything was fairly old and rusty. Our room was also very open and I have no doubt had we chosen to stay there as planned, we would have been in a bug hell!

We decided that we were not on an endurance test and so to lose the money here and book somewhere else - which thankfully we did. Here Anne was really sweet and helpful, letting us use her phone and just making general chit chat.

If you don't mind travelling a long way from the fort and are not fussed on surroundings or comfort then this would do you fine. But for someone who wants somewhere clean and comfortable - and that's just the basics - I personally wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank Lauralikestosay
Reviewed 2 May 2013

What can I say...the Ratwatte family is a wonderful one. So helpful and funny. To wake up in these surroundings with a breakfast deluxe is a delight!

You can also find some cheap and very tasty food close by. And there's a supermarket nearby as well.

Anne and her family are also superb guides when it comes to Sri Lankan customs, transportation, places to visit etc.

The rooms are very spacious and clean, felt like I had a small apartment to myself.

I have had a truly great time here and I will be back, no doubt about it.

You're the best!

Love from Sweden.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Kundvagnen
Reviewed 12 January 2013

I booked this room through Agoda thinking it was much closer to the beach/Galle/Unawatuna and on first realisation that it is actually quite a way inland from these sights, I was a little disappointed. However, the room was lovely - better than some in Sri Lanka that I had paid douoble or triple the price for! Clean, spacious, with a little balcony and all the fixtures you could need or expect for such a bargain price!

My 5-day stay was fabulous; Anne, Mahen and their family made every effort to assist me with transport to any destination I wanted, they made me FANTASTIC meals, and even let me watch them cook and take notes so that I can try my hand at replicating their recipes at home!

The distance from the beach/fort is not an issue, a short tuktuk ride or a slightler longer (cheaper and more fun) bus ride gets you there without any issues.

Staying at the Maisonette was the perfect way for me to end a long trip, very relaxing and peaceful and quiet and gorgeous. Just what I needed.

I can't thank Anne and the family enough for their kind hospitality! :)

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 July 2012

We made a reservation via Agoda before arriving and were told that the room had been taken. Anne said she could prepare another room for us, so we sat down an waited. When we were shown to our room we freaked out because it was as if we had been shown to the servants' quarters. A sad, mosquito filled room that had no amenities to think of, the beds were uncomfortable, there was only a fan and the shower was a sad sight. There were clothes in the room an books too, also shoe polish and the occasional spare accessory, but really the room looked and felt like it was somebody who was not there, like the story of the three bears. We were not impressed and when we asked for our refund, the owner was not so polite and nice anymore.

Lastly, the location is horrendous, far away from everything nice in Galle, so I'd you want to see beautiful Galle, and it is beautiful, go stay in the Fort instead, it'll be worth every penny!

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 6 June 2012

After 5 months in Annesmaisonette, the return at home is not so easy. We were so fine in the house and feel like home. I really miss also Mahen's dinners, I will ask to Anne some of receipes : aubergines withe curry, chicken massala, pumpkins, dhal... Hummm !! I really recommand this place for the people who really want to discover sri lanka way of life. Karapitya and of course Annemaisonette is the place to keep in mind. When I could, I come back there as soon as possible .

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I stayed at Anne's Maisonette for a few weeks while working in Galle. Getting to the city required a 20-30 minute bus ride, but at the end of each day I was always more than happy to get out of the hustle and bustle of the city and escape to this quiet residential neighborhood. The room was an incredible value - more of an apartment suite, it included a bedroom with big airy windows, bed net, fan, desk, and locking closet; full bathroom; living room where I would take my tea and meals; and a peaceful balcony. Meals were prepared by Anne and her husband, and they were always top-notch. The best part of the stay was the family's friendliness; they really helped me to feel comfortable and to get to know Sri Lanka as a local instead of a tourist. Anne is incredibly knowledgeable and helped me to book tuktuks around town and a car to the airport, and she was able to help me plan bus rides and accommodations in other parts of Sri Lanka. If you want to stay in a quiet spacious place and get to know Sri Lanka, I have no hesitations recommending Anne's Maisonette. It can be tricky to find the first time, so I'd recommend asking Anne to set up a tuktuk ride from the bus stand or train station.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo