“Amazing Experience”
Review of Deco On 44

Deco On 44
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Galle
Reviewed 31 July 2014

My family had dinner here last week during our weekend visit to Galle and it was really awesome.First of all the manager came to say hello and welcome us which was super hospitable,the staff were so warm and friendly, smiled a lot and came around from time to time as we ate to know if the food was okay or if we needed anything else. We ordered the "fisherman's luck" platter, which consists of a variety of seafood and the "Vietnamese chicken" dish, and they were both amazing. It was generally a wonderful experience, we had fun and felt so comfortable, almost like having dinner at home :D. There was also live music, a lot of familiar songs that we could sing along to because my family loves music. Deco on 44 is a must visit when in Galle.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Hannah A
There are newer reviews for Deco On 44

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Great rooms, lovely pool, excellent service, and fantastic food. Provided hotel car for me to get business meetings in region. Excellent internet connection. Location in old fort also makes it a relaxing place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Timothy1967
Reviewed 25 July 2014

My husband and myself were very very lucky to find this amazing boutique in a little piece of paradise in an amazing part of town. After spending 2 nites in Cololmbo, my first experience of Sri Lanka people, were unfriendly. As soon as we arrived in my little piece of paradise, my opinion changed. The staff here, are SO SO friendly and cannot do enough for you. The rooms are out of this world,so clean fresh modern and appealing, pool area is exactly what was needed after walking around the Forte.Food is sensational, the hotel itself is so charming and clean. We were told to .. relax .. this is your home whilst you stay here, so … we did… They organised transport for us to our next destination.. too easy. We enjoyed out stay so much, we have decided to spend our last nite here.. in our home… before we leave this amazing island. Cannot thank the hotel, management and staff enough, for making our adventure, so easy and comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Suzie2107
Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

This is a lovely arte deco hotel, converted from a former mansion. Only about 10 rooms or so. Location is superb, right in the centre of old Galle and the Fort area. Nothing is more than a few paces away.

We had a large room on the first floor, (the star room) which was spacious and airy with a high ceiling. Just outside the door was a cosy lounge area.

They have a pretty, compact pool at the back, which is big enough to take a dip, and swim a lap, and a half.
The rest of the building houses a small restaurant the front.

The good :
1. cosy, and classy
2. Excellent satellite tv selection
3. Free WiFi
4.Spacious, comfortable rooms

Could improve on :
1. Breakfast is leisurely. Very leisurely. It is a la carte, choosing from either continental, American or local. But it takes a long time to reach you. If you are on a tight schedule, tell then to rush.

2. No real seating area or lounge.

It is almost a 5 rating, but not quite.

I would definitely return.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Travel-Luxe1
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

I came here for the restaurant so cannot comment on the hotel. I had it recommended to me by the guest house I am staying at.

I am currently writing this on the free wifi - offered as soon as it was seen I was looking at my phone.

I had the seared pepper yellow tuna on grilled vegetables and saffron rice. And all for 1200 slr (about aus $11).
It was the most amazing tuna I have ever eaten. I would be delighted had I spent $40 on it back in Australia. The passionfruit creme brulee for dessert was delicious and had a great 'crack' of the brulee.

The service was kind, attentive and made me feel completely welcome. While I was here two guestd needed to check a booking so were immediately given user of the computer.

I am only sad that this is my last night in Galle and I cannot come again.
Cannot recommend the seafood highly enough.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank LizD88
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Stayed 3 nights in the Sun suite and thoroughly enjoyed it. The staff were friendly and the service outstanding. The location is great for wandering around the town. The chef produced excellent breakfasts with French Toast and honey, fresh squeezed juices and local Sri Lanka style. Dinner was also good and we ended up eating there all three nights.

Room Tip: Try one of the suites as they have lovely terraces to relax on.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank OverHere_12
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Classy little boutique hotel in a restored mansion, this is the perfect stay to explore the quaint fort area of Galle. This hotel is stylish and tastefully appointed, providing heaps of character and charm without forgoing the necessities. The pool area is a little oasis of peace and, as we were a small group travelling together, the rooms around the pool were perfect for socialising. Staff were very friendly and went out of their way to ensure we were taken care of and equipped with everything needed to make our stay special. The restaurant at Deco is lovely but the hotel is also well located to sample the many cute cafes, bars and restaurants of the town. Thank you for a beautiful stay. We will return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends