“The best way to experience Galle”
Review of Jetwing Lighthouse

Jetwing Lighthouse
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Galle
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“The best way to experience Galle”
Reviewed 7 August 2012

The Lighthouse in Galle is fantastic, ideally located (less than 20 minutes away from the town centre), two pools and a private beach which offer breath taking views of the sunset and a great place to unwind after exploring Galle.

The hotel is also able to arrange whale watching tours and Galle is apparently one of the best places to see whales with a hit rate of 95% in season. During our excursion we saw 10 blue whales but the groups who had gone out the day before had also seen spinner dolphins and a pod of killer whales.

The food is good but not as good as the food at Jetwing Beach or Warwick Gardens, though the fine dining restaurant is a great place dinner on the terrace if the weather permits, we had very romantic views of the ocean cut through by a crystal clear moon reflecting off the water, it was magical.

Visitors should definately reserve a day to visit the Galle Fort and you can have quite a lot of fun wandering the streets and visiting some of the old churches and libraries.

Finally, you can also learn how to surf at Galle and Bentota. We didn't but there are several surf schools set up by the beach which are ideal for newbies because the waves and current aren't as rough as they are in a place like Negombo.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 1st floor towards the pool areas are recommended as they give you stunning views of the...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Delan_Silva
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Jetwing Lighthouse, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
Dear Guest,

I am glad you chose to stay with us at the Jetwing Lighthouse and enjoyed your experience. The location of this property makes it a popular choice among guests from various regions of the world. It not only provides stunning views, the building is spread out and is ideal for a guest to relax.

The history and nature in a close range around the Jetwing Lighthouse only makes it more appealing to a guest. The Galle Fort provides a guest the perfect place to walk around and explore the history of their surroundings; it is a must when visiting Galle. The Whale Watching excursions we organize through the Jetwing Lighthouse is a spectacular experience. It is one of the best places in the world to go whale watching and has an extremely high hit rate during the season, and is a must do while in this part of Sri Lanka.

I would like to thank you for your positive review on Trip Advisor, and I look forward to seeing you back at the Jetwing Lighthouse when your travels bring you to the South of Sri Lanka.

Robert Claesson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (432)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
London
Reviewed 1 August 2012

We stayed at the Jetwing Lighthouse for a week at the end of July and booked with Kuoni. We chose the Lighthouse over other possibilities in Negombo and Bentota on the basis that Galle seemed to be more of an authentic place as opposed to just a beach resort and also that the hotel looked like it was in a stunning spot right on the ocean. We weren't disappointed.

When we arrived we were shown to the terrace for a welcome drink overlooking the ocean whilst our bags were take to our room. Exactly the right first impression for us after our long flight and really made us feel that we could start to enjoy our holiday immediately.

We had one of the ground floor rooms (105) with it's own terrace that looks right out to the sea. It was beautifully clean on our arrival and was cleaned every day thereafter. We really liked the location of the room because it's close to get to the pools, terrace and restaurants but doesn't feel 'too' close and offers a good degree of privacy.

Throughout our stay we found all of the staff totally excellent and a pleasure to talk to and deal with. A friendly smile was always forthcoming from everyone; whether management staff or a maintenance guy changing a light bulb in a corridor. Robert, the General Manager, made an effort to introduce himself to us shortly after we arrived and we really felt that he knew who we were and was keen to make sure that we were happy with everything. He also held a cocktail party one evening and actively mingled with all of the guests; a really nice tough for a large hotel. Another outstanding member of the team was Lee, the Restaurant Captain. Every evening he made sure we had the table we wanted and was incredibly friendly and welcoming, yet not overbearing at all. On his night off we actually agreed that dinner wasn't the same without him there!.

I could talk & talk about the food but in an effort not to write too much, I will simply say that the quality/quantity/choice/presentation/freshness was near perfect from breakfast to the amazing buffets. To vary the food and keep the choices interesting in a big hotel that is catering for all sorts of tastes is no small task and whoever is in charge of catering is doing a great job. Every evening there is always a great choice of Sri Lankan curries on offer, as well as the buffet or set menu options.

We would highly recommend this hotel and truly had a wonderful stay there. I have read the other reviews where people have chosen to be negative and although I appreciate that expectations & standards are different from one person to the next, I really feel that the Lighthouse would be very tough to beat in this price range. Reviews where people seem to have done a snagging list as you would do on a new house should be ignored as this kind of criticism is is extremely petty. Is a bit of peeling paint, wear & tear on a wooden floor or some stained ceiling tiles in the internet room 'really' going to spoil a holiday?....

I would challenge anyone not to enjoy the experience that Robert and his excellent Sri Lankan team will offer. THANK YOU!

Matt & Jo.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor have terraces with ocean views and feel very private yet well placed to ge...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank MattGilbert
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed review on the Jetwing Lighthouse on Trip Advisor. I absolutely enjoyed reading it and I would also like to thank you for recommending us so highly.

With the stunning views, the architecture, the food, facilities of the property would not be the same without the service you speak of. As the General Manager here, I am happy to have a team that is so guest oriented and go out of their way to satisfy a guest. The operation would not be a success without each and every associate involved with the Jetwing Lighthouse. I will pass on your compliments to Leel, and I am sure that he is looking forward to having you back at the Jetwing Lighthouse. The food that you speak of highly is very carefully made by our dedicated team within the kitchen and they sent out some amazing dishes to our guests.

The renovation work that has begun should be completed soon and the peeling paint, etc that is down to wear and tear should be taken care of. On behalf of the team here at the Jetwing Lighthouse, I thank you once again for your review and look forward to welcoming you back to the property soon.

Reviewed 31 July 2012 via mobile

A purpose built facility offering stunning views of Indian Ocean good service to customers. Rooms are spacious and sea facing terrace outside the room enhances the pleasure to enjoy the view in your own privacy. Dining options include a la carte and restaurant with indoor and outdoor terrace with sea view and amazing cuisine.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Jetwing Lighthouse, responded to this review, 6 August 2012
Dear Guest,

Here at the Jetwing Lighthouse, we believe in offering our guests nothing but the best and look forward to satisfying their every need. I am pleased we were able to delight you with what we had on offer, and the stunning views of the ocean.

Thank you for writing a review on Trip Advisor, and I look forward to seeing you back at the Jetwing Lighthouse in the future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Spent four days at the Lighthouse at the end of our stay in Sri Lanka. What a way to end a holiday. The position of the hotel overlooking the ocean was breathtaking and the staff made us feel very special. The hotel had a very homely feel and we enjoyed each and every aspect that the Lighthouse had to offer.

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Guest,

I am glad you have taken the time out to write us a review on Trip Advisor, thank you. As the General Manager of the Jetwing Lighthouse it is extremely satisfying to see guests having a great time here and recommending our property to others. I am glad you were able to enjoy all aspects of our very unique property with the breathtaking views of the Indian Ocean.

I would like to invite you back to Jetwing Lighthouse when your travels bring you to this part of the world, the whole team here will be looking forward to welcoming you.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I feel bad saying negative things about this hotel because the staff are all so friendly and they go out of their way to provide top notch service. But this is certainly not a 5-star hotel by any stretch of the imagination!

Our first impressions of the hotel made our hearts sink! The "lobby" reminded me of a concrete parking lot with cheap, damp furniture. We waited there a VERY long time while we were being check-in. This was because, by virtue of our membership of Small Luxury Hotels of the World (SLH), we were entitled to an upgrade to a suite (if they had one available), but that had been overlooked till we pointed it out.

As an aside, we were surprised that SLH would accept this property. We've stayed in many SLH properties around the world and they are far superior to this one - with the exception of the wonderful staff at the Jetwing Lighthouse, for they are outstanding.

After a long wait, we were shown to room 303 aka the Fa Hsien suite. It's right on the ocean and the views are stunning. But the accommodation was run down and very dark. I find it difficult to believe that anybody had stayed in this room for a long time.

The light over the his and hers basins was broken. After it was fixed there was still insufficient light to shave or for my wife to do her make up. Worse, both basins leaked from their waste pipes onto our feet! They did their best to fix the leaks and they got us through our stay by piling towels under each sink to catch the drips.

We had a pre-dinner drink in the bar on our first night. The bar tender was an older guy who didn't know what he was doing. My G&T consisted of a tiny drop (measure) of gin (no choice of brand was offered) with flat tonic, very little ice and no slice of lime or lemon.

We considered going to the "fine dining restaurant" next to the bar for dinner, but it was empty (bar one couple) so that didn't seem like much fun. In fact, throughout our 4 night stay, the upstairs restaurant hardly had a sole in it, so we were put off trying it.

Dinner in the main restaurant was just good enough, mainly because the service was so cheerful and attentive.

By this point we were seriously considering flying home on the next possible flight! But in the morning the place looked much better in the daylight. The location certainly is fabulous.

The breakfast buffet was good and, again, the staff excelled themselves. We would have liked to have sat at an outside table, but the furniture is so damp and uninviting. The al fresco dining at this hotel just has zero appeal!

A couple of times we went out for dinner at a lovely colonial restaurant in The Fort (Amangalla restaurant). Even this was made difficult because the concierge told me they were not allowed to book outside restaurants. How absurd for a so-called 5-star hotel! SLH please take note!!!

But I return to my point that the staff really go out of their way to be helpful in every way. Manoj Silva, the acting hotel manager, was terrific and Chamilla deserves special mention for always going the extra mile. But all the staff were super.

And we did enjoy lazing by the main pool overlooking the ocean, and watching the hotel monkey, who seems to enjoy his life a lot.

Manoj referred us to a really lovely tuk tuk driver/guide (Ranjan) who made our stay in Galle enjoyable. He really looked after us and was also our driver from the airport and to the Jetwing Beach in Negumbo for the balance of our stay in Sri Lanka.

Room Tip: Ask for the suite that's been modernized - NOT 303!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Tony C
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Jetwing Lighthouse, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to start by apologizing for the troubles that seem to have plagued your stay at the Jetwing Lighthouse. I also want to thank you for giving us feedback, as a guests opinion is the most valuable form of feedback we receive.

I have also noted your various comments and had an inquiry in to the incidents you sent through your review on Trip Advisor. We as a team are working on getting things corrected so that no guest will face these problems in the future. Since most of the problems you faced during your stay were due to wear and tear of the building itself, I would like to inform you that the Jetwing Lighthouse is under renovations currently, and will cover the entire property. It is unfortunate that the suites had not been done during your stay with us, and I do apologize for the troubles you faced with your room. We know that the building is in need of a renovation and that is why we have started the process and will work day and night to ensure it is done as soon as possible.

The problems you faced at check in have been discussed and processes have been put in place to avoid this sort of delays at check-in and we are confident future guests will not face the same issues on arrival at the Jetwing Lighthouse. I assure you that we are working as a team to give our guests the best possible experience at Jetwing Lighthouse, and will work harder to provide the best possible experience for our valuable guests.

I do appreciate your positive comments of the food and your experience with our team here at the Jetwing Lighthouse. It makes my job easier knowing that I have a team that are well trained and qualified to provide a guest with service of a very high standard. The people who work for a organization is more times than not the difference between a guest having an average stay and having a great stay, and I think this is proves it. I have passed on your compliments to the entire team here, and I as the General Manager feel very proud to have such a committed set of associates working with me.

I want to remind you that you are welcome back at the Jetwing Lighthouse, and to give us the chance to show you what hospitality at Jetwing Lighthouse truly means. The whole team here look forward to seeing you again in the future, and we are confident that you will no doubt change your mind about this fabulous property.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 26 July 2012

My friend and I stayed here for 5 nights. We had a fantastic time. The views of the coast can't be beat. The room was very clean and we loved the little goodies given to us at turn down service. The food was amazing, and very affordable. So many options, even on the set dinner nights. All the staff were friendly and helpful. They learned our drink order after only one time. Our tuktuk driver was knowledgeable and extremely helpful. He took us to so many places we would never have even thought about going to to. He also had an amazing eye pointing out wildlife and plants wherever we went.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

It was our pleasure having you with us at Jetwing Lighthouse during your visit to Galle. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay and decided to write a review on Trip Advisor, thank you.

I am glad that you enjoyed the stunning views at the Jetwing Lighthouse has on offer, and I agree that some of the views you do get from various places of the property cannot be compared. This is a design that impresses most of our guests, and we do get a lot of guests who visit the property to take in the views and the unique design of the Jetwing Lighthouse. I will also pass on your comments to the relevant managers about the food, and I am glad that you were able to enjoy the wide array of food options we leave to our guests to choose from. Guest Satisfaction is our main goal, and I am glad you left happy and with great memories of the Jetwing Lighthouse.

Thank you for choosing the Jetwing Lighthouse, and we hope to see you back with us in the future.

Hong kong
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Stayed in this hotel for 5 nights. This was the best hotel I have ever stated in. The rooms were exquisite with the most comfortable beds. Waking up to the waves crashing on the ricks was lovely.
Lying by the pool was great. I have never come across a place that gives you cold flannels throughout the day to cool you down.
I read a review that said the food was good. It was not good, it was great. Breakfast is amazing (especially the waffles) but dinner was better.
The staff are brilliant... Always happy and remember you and what you like.
Outside the hotel there are tuk tuk drivers who are very helpful- the one we had was amazing with a wealth of knowledge and nothing was a problem for him.
I would certainly go back to The Lighthouse in the future.

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Jetwing Lighthouse as accommodation during your recent visit to Galle, Sri Lanka. It was our pleasure having you with us, and catering to all your needs and wants. I am proud that the team here at the property were able to delight you with their service levels and smiles. I also want to thank you for posting such a positive review about the Jetwing Lighthouse on Trip Advisor. It is your feedback that drives us to be even better.

I will pass on your wonderful comments on the food and the spread especially during breakfast. Our qualified and dedicated team of chefs, lead by our highly recognized executive chef work through the day and night to ensure our guest receive nothing but the best food that no doubt pleases every guest. The food at the Jetwing Lighthouse is also known to be of the highest of quality, and is one of our strengths.

Please do visit again when your travels bring you to the South of Sri Lanka, and our entire team would warmly welcome you back to the Jetwing Lighthouse.

Robert Claesson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Galle
Era Beach by Jetwing
#1 of 5 in Koggala
Aditya
Aditya
#1 of 27 in Hikkaduwa

Been to Jetwing Lighthouse? Share your experiences!