“Excellent hotel”

Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Galle
Bath
“Excellent hotel”
Reviewed 6 November 2010

With a splendid location overlooking the sea, this hotel is one of the best we have stayed at. Our spacious room had a balcony and a lovely sea view (as have all the rooms I believe). The room was kept very clean during our stay, and had a large bed, a sofa and a generous bathroom with bath and shower.There were tea/coffee making facilities, with a cafetiere and ground coffee. Towels were plentiful.
The hotel has a gym, two large swimming pools and a wide grassed sunbathing area adjacent to the beach. The beach itself is quiet and cleaned daily, and you can have stroll along it without being hassled.
We particularly appreciated the helpful, friendly and smiley service provided by the staff - nothing was too much trouble.
The food was outstanding with a wide choice each meal. We particularly liked the waiter served dinners, on which occasions we thought the food approached fine dining standards. There was always a good choice of Sri Lankan or International food on the menu. The Sri Lankan Head Chef is very talented and has previously worked in Europe.
Some nights, local musicians performed during dinner, but if you are looking for a loud and lively hotel, then this one is not for you.
The Hotel is a short 2K. tuk tuk ride from Galle itself (c. £4 return including a couple of hours in Galle - book through the Hotel). Do take the opportunity to have a look around this historic town. We found it very safe to walk around, as with the rest of Sri Lanka we visited.
It's also nice to learn that Jetwing put something back into the local community by being involved in a range of community and environmental schemes.
This is a hotel we hope to return to in the near future.

2 Thank mendiprambler
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Jetwing Lighthouse, responded to this review, 19 November 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for the wonderful comments. It was full filling to read through it.
We have now introduced the ‘Fish market’ dining experience, adding more variety to the dining options we offer along with Chef’s signature dining’s. I'm sure this will widen your options in selecting your meals, during your next visit to Jetwing Lighthouse. This year’s Whale season kick started with a record breaking sighting of 25 whales on one fine morning early November, and trust you will plan your next vacation with ‘Blue Whales’ in mind! Once again thank you and hope to welcome you back in the very near future.

Yours Sincerely,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (430)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Villaga, Italy
Reviewed 3 November 2010

We stayed for 3 nights at the start of a trip to Sri Lanka and India. I really loved the Lighthouse, it was my favorite accommodation on the 3 week trip (albeit the most expensive).

I arrived at the Lighthouse shortly before 1 in the afternoon, after a 16 hour flight and 4 hour drive from Colombo. I was exhausted and desperately wanted a hot shower and a nap. When I arrived, I was told my room was not yet ready and wouldn't be for more than an hour. This was a bad, bad way to begin my vacation. However, a moment later a manager came out, took one look at the exhaustion that was evident on my face and ushered me up to a room. As we entered the 4th floor room I realized they had upgraded us to an ocean view room because it was the only room available - and I couldn't have been more grateful.

The room was beautiful, the view was breathtaking, and the hotel staff were remarkably hospitable throughout our stay.

The decor in the room, and throughout the hotel is stunning, and reflects the kind of attention to detail ordinarily only found in boutique hotels.

The breakfast is an enormous spread of food: made to order eggs and omlettes, waffles, pancakes, local dishes, fresh fruit, cereals, a massive variety of breads and pastries, baked beans (vegetarian!), yogurts, muesli, fruit juices and smoothies, french press coffee or tea.

The lunch and dinner menu's are moderately priced, and not exceptionally varied (although, they do have a separate vegetarian menu with a dozen or more entrees, but you have to ask for the vegetarian menu as it is only presented upon request), and prices are moderate to high. Which brings me to my next comment, the Lighthouse is a bit isolated, set at a longer than walking distance away from any other dining/drinking establishments. However, this isn't really an issue, as tuk tuks are always available out front and they are very cheap.

Pros: The rooms are very beautifully decorated, and the bed was incredibly comfortable. The staff is consistently friendly and helpful.
The beach area and pools are spectacular (see pictures).

Cons: It's a bit expensive at $150/night, but in this part of the world you get what you pay for (that is to say, paying less will land you in a hotel that is significantly less comfortable/clean/hospitable)

There is no wi-fi in this hotel. While they *claim* to have wi-fi, the exceptionally weak signal is only available in the lobby area, and it is sooo slow I was never able to access email on it.

I will also remark that the housekeeping seemed to be hit-and-miss. While the room overall seemed quite clean, there were spots here and there that were not, such as a large patch of residue (??) in the bottom of the bathtub (tub is separate from the shower) which was there when we arrived and still there when we checked out 4 days later. Also, they did not restock our water bottles for two days, then delivered 4 days worth of water on the last day, and our in-room coffee was never replenished (not really an issue since it is available at the breakfast, which is included).

Also notable, the hotel charges an exorbitant amount for transport from the airport in Colombo (I believe they quoted me 13,000 rupees one way). I strongly suggest arranging your transportation through an independent driver, which will cost about half of what the hotel charges (8,400 rupees ca. 2010).

Overall though, I really, really enjoyed my stay at the Lighthouse, and after several bad hotel experiences during my follow-on travels through India I look back on the Lighthouse all the more fondly for offering exceptionally comfortable and elegant accommodation and service in a part of the world where such is hard to come by.

I highly recommend the Lighthouse!

1 Thank SBrady
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2010

We returned to the Lighthouse,where we were married in October 2000 and it lived up to our expectations fully.From the time of arrival we were made to feel completely at ease.The first thing you notice is the stunning location and distinctive architecture of the hotel.The transfer from the airport is at present a long one, but you are well rewarded for the effort.A new highway is under construction which will cut travelling times dramatically. The staff are a credit to the hotel,always willing to do their utmost to improve your stay.Everyone from the operations manager to the room cleaning staff were at all times happy to help out.The fact that most of the staff are proud to have been at the hotel for a good few years tells you that they are dedicated and happy in their work.Rooms are spacious and very comfortable and public areas inside and out very relaxing.Food is varied with themed nights in the Cardoman Cafe as well as sit down dinners and buffets.For fresh fish and seafood cooked to your own taste,just go upstairs to the Cinnamon Room-you will not be disappointed ! All told an excellent resort that we hope to return to without waiting another 10 years !

Dear Guest,

Thank you for celebrating your 10th wedding anniversary with the Jetwing Lighthouse family and for all the wonderful comments!
For the coming Winter season there will be a luxury train in operation from the air port, bringing somewhat relief buy reducing travel time to Galle. Try and avoid peak hours when traveling through Colombo on route to Galle. Our sister hotels in Negombo will be an ideal choice to break the journey!
Once again thank you for appreciating the Jetwing brand of hospitality, build on Passion, Humility, Integrity and Tenacity. Our vision is to be world class in everything we do, comments like yours motivate our cause by leaps and bounds.
Hope to welcome you again in the near future.

Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2010

We had a two week holiday at The Lighthouse at the beginning of September and would class it as one of our best holidays, from the day we arrived to the day we returned home all the staff were outstanding and nothing was too much trouble for any of them, in some respects the service was embarrassing, it was just a pity that we could not thank them all personally before we left.
The food in the restaurant was just outstanding, both in quality, quantity and the presentation was excellent, I do feel that the Pastry Chef should have a special mention as he added at least two inches to my waist band in two weeks, also we did enjoy the Friday Night Curry and the Saturday barbecue.
The accommodation was first class, with our room overlooking the beach and stunning sunsets most nights.
It is normally at this point where the “BUT” comes in, but in this case, we could not find a fault.
We were a bit concerned about the length of the drive from the airport to the hotel, however it is really worth it.

1 Thank mikepbedford
Yorkshire England
Reviewed 28 September 2010

My wife and I stayed for 8 nights in September at the Jetwing Lighthouse in Galle. What a fantastic hotel and is a must for anybody thinking of trying Asia for you holidays. They location is stunning, right on the the sea and you get a fantastic sunset every night. The staff have a fantastic manner and cater for you every need with the biggest smile, even the cleaners seem to enjoy their job. The food is as good as I've eaten in France, from the breakfast (try the fish curry and hoppers.) to the superb afternoon tea watching the waves and the evening meals have a great variety. Our favourite was the Saturday night BBQ and Friday night curry buffet. The fine dining was a great experience if just a little empty. Please don't let the travel times from the UK put you off (took around 24hrs door to door), within 10 mins of arriving the staff start to make you relax and you never look back. We really felt like we have been away, the fab massage in the spa on our last day also helped. If you are really thinking of going somewhere different, give this hotel a try, I'm sure you will love it.

1 Thank diego2006
Jetwinghotels, General Manager at Jetwing Lighthouse, responded to this review, 12 October 2010
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to have you on board and thank you for your wonderful review. The Cocktail bar on the veranda is now featuring sunset specials daily and has also introduced an Asian Night on Wednesdays!

The fine dining restaurant now has a seafood market with the catch of the day. Our Healthy Corner at breakfast now offers a selection of healthier choices less in sugar, fat and starch but high in Fiber.

Once again thank you and look forward to welcoming you back to Jetwing Lighthouse in the near future. Our sister hotels in Negombo will be more than happy to accommodate you to break the journey, if you wish to, before coming to Galle.

Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2010

A lovely hotel, really relaxing with great service. The food in the cafe was great- in the evening it was usually a set menu, but the buffets were also amazing! The tables looking over the sea were very romantic. At the pool service was good, and the grounds were well kept. It's easy enough to get to the fort from here, though the hotel tuk-tuks charge you more than the going rate. Also I would recommend going to Unawatuna beach, as you can swin in the sea there and there's a good selection of bars and cafes- a return tuk tuk ride costs around 1,500 rupees (less than £10). The managers cocktail pary wee went to on the last night was a very nice touch. Definately recommended for a relaxing trip.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the wonderful and positive review about our destination. We have further enhanced our dining options adding variety with an introduction of a new A la carte menu in the cafe and also fish market concept in the Cinnamon room; daily with fresh seafood at the same rates as the cafe in the main restaurant.

During the season, when the sea is calm our special romantic BBQ among the rocks is ideal for anyone looking for the experience of dining on a privet beach. The hotel recommended taxi line, tuk tuk’s are insured and their prices are listed on the travel counter and we recommend that you use them for your safety while on holiday.

Once again thank you and hope to see you again in the near future.

Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed 26 September 2010

First of all I would like to say that this review will be long, but truly honest, with great attention to details as I think small details usually are the things which make the perfect holiday. So let us begin.
Introduction
We stayed at Jetwing Lighthouse with my wife for 5 nights in Sep 2010 following 3 days sightseeing tour. This trip was dedicated to the birthday of my wife, thus I wrote the letter to the hotel 1 week prior to arrival explaining this fact and asking for the possibility to arrange something special. To their credit hotel staff answered very quickly and informed that they took good note of this special occasion and will try to do everything in order to fulfill our wishes.
Check in.
On arrival we were greeted with cold towels and welcome drink and also were given the welcome letter from General Manager. Few minutes later GM – Wester Felthman himself appeared to welcome us personally and to wish us enjoyable stay – it was very nice touch. Check in process was smooth and efficient, we were informed that due to special occasion we were upgraded to Suite –which was pleasant surprise for us and also were given small Jetwing Lighthouse plate as a gift, right after this we were escorted to our suite. At this point I would like to stop for a moment in order to say that they have 3 theme suites in the hotel which are decorated in different styles: Chinese, Dutch and Arabian. We were given the later one – Ibn Batuta Suite (to commemorate Ibn Batuta – the traveler who was the first to mention Galle in his notes).
The Suite
I would like to mention that we use to travel a lot and usually trying to choose only best hotels, but even taking this into account we were absolutely amazed by our suite: situated on the 1st floor it composes of big living room, even bigger bedroom (both rooms with high ceilings) with absolutely huge 4 posted super-king size bed (I think the dimensions are not less than 2,4x2,3 meters), huge bathroom with 2 separate wash basins, enormous Jacuzzi bathtub, separate shower and WC; walk in wardrobe, additional guest WC with wash basin and small kitchen complete the list of internal spaces, but what shouldn’t be forgotten is the absolutely huge terrace-balcony (in fact 2 balconies connected together with fantastic front views of the ocean, 2 tables, 4 chairs and also summer bad for relaxation. All amenities which should be present in luxury hotel beginning from wardrobes and finishing with small bathroom things were in place. What should also be mentioned is special multifunctional device near the bed which can be used as remote control for almost all lights in the suite as well as for AC, with built in alarm clock and “don’t disturb” and “make up my room” functions (if one of these buttons are pressed the information can be seen on the special control panel outside the room). In addition small kitchen was equipped with minibar, coffee and tea making facilities and whole range of different glaces, also 4 bottles of drinking water were provided complimentary and have been replenished each day. I really don’t have enough words to describe the suite (probably pictures enclosed will be able to tell the story).
Personal butlers
After we familiarize with all above-mentioned features the door bell ringed and we met Dilan – our personal butler, who explained us that he will be looking after us during whole duration of our stay and that we can ask for his assistance in any issues. In fact we had 2 butlers during the stay – Dilan and Chamila – both of them were really pleasant persons who tried to do their best in order to fulfill even smallest of our needs and this was always done with smile and careful attention to details. They were absolutely everywhere – serving our meals during breakfast, helping with drinks during the day, cleaning the room, booking tables for the dinner and serving during it, arranging all small things we asked them – it was great experience.
The hotel
The hotel itself situated in picturesque and romantic location on the top of the hill directly on the beach with breathtaking uninterrupted Ocean views and waves splashing under your feet. The hotel was built in 1997 by Geoffrey Bawa (most famous Sri Lankan artist) and the architecture of the hotel was inspired by Old Dutch fort situated in Galle only 1 km from hotel (info: Old Dutch fort is one of the seven UNESCO World Heritage sites in Sri Lanka) with its lighthouse, from which the hotel took its name, can be seen from the hotel’s terrace. The hotel has 60 rooms and 3 theme suites all of them have direct Ocean views which is great overall advantage of this hotel. The hotel territory is quite big and very well maintained: a lot of greenery, 2 huge swimming pools – upper pool with infinity edge and lower 30m pool directly near the beach. Hotel has 2 restaurants and 3 bars (all of them will be described later in separate paragraph) which are absolutely enough in order to fulfill needs of all guests. Also hotel has tennis and squash courts, fitness centre, SPA, 2 big meeting rooms/ballrooms which can be used both for conferences and big parties. The good thing is that they are located in separate building and thus even in case of big events (by the way we saw 2 during our stay – big conference and wedding) the hotel guests can’t hear any noise and thus nothing disturbs them. In addition to all above-mentioned hotel has small business centre with computers and free internet access which we actually never used as we took the laptop with us, the Wi-Fi in the rooms is also free – which is nice. Small shopping arcade situated at the entrance to the hotel rounded up the overview. Regarding entertainment provided by the hotel – they have special free hotel tour which is arranged at 17.00 each day – very convenient as it helps with hotel orientation and familiarization with available facilities. During this tour we were shown one of the Deluxe room (their standard room) and it was also very nice with all range of necessary amenities in place and great views of the Ocean from the terrace. In the evening on one of the days local dance show was presented – which was nice, also hotel proposing range of nature exploring activities with their local naturalist Anoma, as well as sightseeing tours via Jetwing travel.
In addition, on our request we were shown the Jetwing Kurulubedda (Hotel head – Hiran Silva served as our guide)– small hotel (under the Lighthouse management) only 5 minutes by car or by boat from Lighthouse in the mainland. This is eco-hotel with only 2 rooms/chalets (with private pools) situated in untouched nature setting with vast variety of birds and animals living their lives around you. Kurulubedda guests can eat products which are grown in own garden and in addition can benefit from use of all facilities of main hotel during the day if they wish. We admired this small resort is for its pure relaxation and possibility to deep in the nature – it’s a heaven for nature lovers and we will be definitely willing to spend several nights there during our next visit to Lighthouse.
The Staff.
All hotel staff members who we met during our stay starting from Mr. Wester Felthman (GM) and finishing with receptionists were very friendly and always tried to help us in every possible way. Especially we would like to mention our butlers (Dilan and Chamila) and receptionists (Anusha, Ravina, Lanka and Amali) for all their assistance and support during our stay. The celebration of my wife’s birthday (which was on 3rd day of our stay) can serve as excellent example of consolidate successful team work of all staff members. I decided to make this day memorable for my wife by making several pleasant surprises for her. Thus I started arrangements from the very beginning, firstly by talking with GM – Mr. Felthman who showed great interest and informed that for sure we need to organize smth special and that hotel staff and he personally will help me with all preparations. All staff concerned really did their best to help me and thanks to them wife’s birthday became the day of surprises for her which went under scenario set by me and perfectly executed by hotel staff: starting from the morning when after we came back from breakfast and she found bouquet of flowers and greeting card in the room, following with festive decoration of our room in the afternoon and finally concluding with fine dining in the evening in wonderful gazebo over the rocks (you can see on the picture) in unbelievably romantic atmosphere with torches and candlelight and big birthday cake at the end. In addirion Mr. Felthman personally came to congratulate my wife. Small details mentioned above was provided by hotel complimentary (of course apart from dinner meals and wine) as their present for my wife’s birthday – well done Jetwing Lighthouse!
The GM
Mr. Wester Felthman really deserves a separate mentioning. During our stay we had the possibility to ascertain that he is a remarkable personality who is trying to do all his best in order to raise the excellent service provided by the hotel to even higher level. Being native Sri Lankan he speaks perfect English and very pleasant in communication, he is trying to meet as many guest as possible during the day (during check—in, in the restaurant etc) and to listen very attentively to the thoughts on the hotel services. It’s clearly seen that he loves his country, loves his job, loves his hotel and finally which is very important loves his staff – with such manager staff doesn't have another options, but to be the BEST.
Restaurants and Bars
We stayed at Bed and Breakfast basis – breakfast served in Cardamon Café was very good with wide variety of food to choose from. During all five days of our stay we had meals only at hotel, so were able to try all their restaurants and bars. We used Cinnamon Room (fine dining restaurant) and Cardamon Café (less formal restaurant) for dinners, Anchor Bar- near the infinity pool – for lunch meals and Verandah and Coat of Arms bar for drinks. All restaurants and bars situated in such way that you can enjoy the Ocean views and marvelous sunsets while you eating or having drinks. Overall impression is excellent. To be honest the food even exceeded our expectations in terms of quality which was top class and we were pleasantly surprised to find such fine cuisine in Sri Lanka (our fair words to Chef de cuisine). The prices is also very affordable and of course much lower than in similar European restaurants.
The Beach
The beach area is very beautiful with picturesque rocks in front of the hotel and less rocky part to the left where sun loungers are situated and swimming is possible. In fact, as all beaches in Sri Lanka are public, sun loungers are situated on the perfectly maintained grass carpet just step away from the beach and surrounded by palm trees and bushes. While relaxing during the day you can see many chipping-squirrels playing around you and also 2 lizards (big and small) as well as several types of birds. Also the big 30m swimming pool and SPA are situated in this area as well as hammock garden.
The Ocean was a bit rough during our stay (but this was exactly what we expected in September) which didn’t stop me personally from swimming several times. In the meantime if you are keen on swimming a lot in the Ocean only 6km away from hotel (10 min. ride by tuk-tuk) you can find wonderful Unawatuna beach with calm sea where it’s possible to swim all year round.

Summarizing this long review I can only say that we truly enjoyed our stay in Jetwing Lighhouse – fantastic hotel, which combines unparalleled views of the Indian Ocean with excellent service and fantastic food. We spent memorable days there and can strongly recommend it for all those who want to spend unforgettable holiday in gorgeous Sri Lanka. Thank you Lighthouse, we will be waiting to return in the heartbeat!

1 Thank VitaliyS
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much indeed for the wonderful review regarding your stay at the Jetwing Lighthouse. It was a great pleasure to me to have met you personally from the first day and also the chats we had during you stay.

I passed on the comments to my team and they were delighted hear about the review, especially the girls at the front desk.

Since your visit we have an additional cocktail bar on the verandah offering special cocktails during the sunsets and also a fish market with a catch of the day with all the goodies the ocean has to offer on a platter!
Couple of our Negombo sister hotels are been upgraded offering you more choices when you plan your next holiday, which I hope will be in the very near future.

Once again thank you and Best wishes.
Yours Sincerely,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Galle
Tamarind Hill by Asia Leisure
#2 of 31 in Unawatuna
Niyagama House
Niyagama House
#4 of 23 in Galle

Been to Jetwing Lighthouse? Share your experiences!