“The one with Charisma”

Ranked #9 of 125 Galle B&B and Inns
Prague, Czech Republic
“The one with Charisma”
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Our one night stay in Fortaleza turned into a big decision making after we found out how great this place was. Arriving to Galle from Colombo by busy train the step over the threshold of this place was like a step into different world. Instantly I felt like I travelled few centuries back into the era when time didn't matter and everything from food to furniture was made with love.
Believe it or not they really do have only three rooms which is what makes it so spectacularly cosy. On top of it Natalie and her husband do take care of you from the very beginning till the end by always being present and ready to help or simply have a little chat with you. They love the place which makes you love it too. Our cosy Turquoise Room was located at the ground floor only one step from the cobblestone street and two steps into the courtyard restaurant/bar. Here we had our first meal after spending a month in India and it was simply amazing.
Fortaleza is located in the Galle Fort and so we spent our time wondering around and discovering the streets of this community mixture of all religions living peacefully together on such small plot of land.
Having planned to move on the next day placed us infront of dilemma whether not to cut our journeys and enjoy more of this safe haven. But as we agreed we will remember only the best of it if we leave it this way so with great help of Natalie we got our car sorted for the next day and left knowing we will be back.
Fortaleza definitely deserves to be on the top of all Galle hotels but with such a small number of people who can actually go through it simply can not. And this is good as it is for this reason this place is such a treasure.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We had a wonderful experience at this beautiful B&B. Excellent food, great service, and gorgeous room. Every detail of this utterly charming B&B made you feel like you were in a colonial fort. The owner Natalie definitely has an eye for design. We were suffering from jet lag and the staff gave us a coffee pot to put in our room since we were up extremely early. This is just another example of the hospitality that you feel while staying at Fortaleza. We cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank thoth182
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We were recommended to stay at Fortaleza by a colleague that lives in Galle and it did not disappoint.
The welcome that we received from team made us feel at home immediately.
The rooms are clean, tidy and a great size.
The downstairs cafe / restaurant is also very good serving up breakfast, lunch and dinner each day.
The comp wifi is also very good as data roaming charges in Sri Lanka are not cheap.
Natalie the owner also approached us to check on our stay which was a great touch.
In summary, if you're looking a unique stay within the Fort that will not break the bank, the Fortaleza is a superb choice.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
Reviewed 15 May 2013

This was the first place we dined in when we arrived inside the Galle Fort and we were quite impressed. Our friend introduced us to the owners who were very welcoming and the waiters were personable and radiated positive energy throughout our entire stay. The food was scrumptious and the ambiance and style of this chic boutique is very attractive and well worth a visit.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Sri Lanka
Reviewed 15 May 2013

I was lucky enough to come across the Fortaleza completely by chance on my way through from Tangalle to Colombo. What a lovely little gem this place is. Excellently kitted out, stylish rooms at very reasonable prices and a great menu, presented and delivered expertly by the more than competent chef and table waiting staff. The proprietors Liam and Nat were very welcoming and made me feel like I was in my own home (this is a rare treat in itself). I had a glass or two of red wine accompanied with the Fortaleza's home-made chicken liver pate. Pate of this quality is hard to find in some of the best eating establishments in London let alone in the south coast of Sri Lanka! In the morning, an excellent cooked breakfast was served up but I also cheekily tucked into my friend's Eggs Benedict - a superb way to start the day before continuing my journey to Colombo. I was so taken with the overall ambience, welcoming hosts and staff, great menu and service that I recently made my way back along the highway to take my friend's there for their "first proper meal" at the beginning of their tour of Sri Lanka; my friend's from the US were equally impressed. This is now my number 1 choice of eating and overnight sleeping venue in Galle and I highly recommend it to both locals and visitors to the Galle and Galle Fort areas. Before I conclude my review I would like to add that there is a superb Spa attached to this hotel/restaurant where a number of treatments are available. Unfortunately I didn't have time to sample any of these, but it's something to look forward to on my next visit...

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Non-blogger
Kandy
Reviewed 5 May 2013

We go here every time we head to Galle, even if it is just for a quick lunch when passing through. In fact we often pass through just to eat there! The food is outstanding, and the rooms are exquisitely furnished with understated eloquence. Yet at the same time it is a very chilled out, friendly place with great staff and welcoming hosts. There is no better place to stay in or around the Fort!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Just returned from our Sri Lankan holiday 4 nights of which was spent at the Fortaleza.By far the best accommodation that we stayed at,the standard of accommodation food and service were second to none.It was an oasis of calm,couldn't praise the staff enough,so attentive without being obtrusive Natalie the host is a lovely lady and her staff are a credit to her.If you are staying in Galle give it a try you won't be disappointed Jean and Norman ( Durham)

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms worth the extra as downstairs room (lovely though it is ) can sometimes hear noise fr...