“Like just happening to arrive at heaven on top of a hill in Sri Lanka”
Review of Niyagama House

Niyagama House
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Galle
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Cannot even begin to describe what a wonderful place this is...

I suppose I could write that as a lone female traveller looking to do a yoga retreat this place was secluded, beautiful, lovingly built with attention to every detail by the beautiful Elke and her husband as their dream house of marble, white pillars and carved wood on top of a hill table tea plantation surrounded by jungle. I could write that the rooms are spacious, with granite floors, walk in showers, beautiful carved four poster beds with the softest white linens and large double windows looking out onto the jungle and hilltops around. With just seven luxury rooms for guests, the entire stay feels like you have the whole house to yourself complete with fish pond in the large open air hall.
I could write that the yoga offered every morning and evening in the purpose built yoga room looking out through a wall of huge floor to ceiling windows onto the jungle was not just well taught (technically a great mix of challenging and relaxing, noticeably tailored to your level) but more importantly taught with enthusiasm and passion by Elke, who has an extensive background in dance but whose baby is yoga. I could mention the sunrise rooftop guided meditation to sounds of birds and not much else with a 360 view of the sun cresting around the mountains, or Elke's lovely lilting voice sending you off to a dream like state. I should say that it's also possible to do yoga courses combined with hollistic health therapies such as juice cleanses and as the whole house is thoughtfully built with wooden carved panels to create a breezy feel and therefore avoid harsh air con not a single detail pertaining to the health of their guests has been overlooked.
I could mention the friendly catering staff, dressed in gorgeous peacock blue uniforms, appearing like from a dream and always courteous and willing to serve your curry or king coconut or authentic Sri Lankan tea from their excellent kitchen in front of the infinity pool and jungle. I should probably write that the food was a delightful variety of fresh curries of various vegetables (I could not name half of them but I could eat all of them ten times over), chicken or fresh fish, and that there is a selection of Western food as an alternative and a Sri Lankan breakfast spread to fill you up until dinner, with a variety of juices and cocktails and king coconuts. I could insist that you try the pumpkin and ginger soup.
I could mention that I didn't wear a pair of shoes or even flip flops for 8 days while I walked the granite floors and wood carved staircases and rooftops (except once to take an excellent tour around the tea plantation to taste cinnamon bark and pepper and papayas fresh off the trees all around - be careful not to step on the resident tortoise).
I could say that the location of the place, while always feeling utterly secluded due to vast green foliage all around, is actually only a short tuk tuk ride away from popular South coast beaches and attractions - barely twenty five minutes into Galle.
It would be an oversight not to write about the vast blue pool looking out onto the jungle, always warm and clean without chlorine, or the availability of traditional aryuvedic massage and therapy.
Just in case I haven't portrayed the overwhelming sense of peace and wellbeing, coupled with the tasteful, elegant luxury of this marble and carved wood palace I'd better state it again.

I could write all of that. I almost don't want to because this place is a rare and as yet undiscovered jewel. But none of that is really the point. Because what makes this place truly special - a gem in a sea of paradise resorts - is the sheer kindness and generosity of both Elke and her husband, without which my stay wouldn't have been possible, and without which my stay wouldn't have been as utterly charming and memorable. The warmth and sweetness with which they run Niyagama House is the reason to stay here.

Room Tip: Cannot imagine that there's a single room in Niyagama House that hasn't been built to a supe...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank 3OfSpades
There are newer reviews for Niyagama House

Reviewed 11 April 2013

Hi my wife and I stayed their in March 2013. The house is spectacular, the pool is just superb, the views are lovely and overall it is a warm and inviting retreat.

The meditation in the morning with the sunrise really is a great way to start the day. The food is very good and service was the best we encountered in Sri Lanka.

Getting there is relatively easy from Galle or Unawatuna.

We sincerely recomend this propert.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2013

We absolutely loved Niyagama house. Elke and her husband built this home from scratch with so much love and have taken such care in all the details and design. The staff is super attentive and the food is delicious and original. The quiet and beauty of the surroundings were a highlight of our holidays and we could just not leave that wonderful pool overlooking the tea plantations. Elke also did a yoga and meditation session on the roof for us, which was wonderful. I can highly recommend this place for anyone who wants to relax and tranquility as well as good service.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Niyagama House is very special. Elke (a fabulous hostess) and her husband have built their dream home on a tea plantation in total tranquility close to Galle, and they clearly love sharing it with their guests. Our two nights here were a highlight of our holiday. It's a new venture which desrves to be a great success - especially as a luxurious remote hideaway while the tourism/development boom takes its toll on Sri Lanka's southern beaches and towns.

I can echo all the rave reviews. So why only four stars out of five? Four things you need to know...

1. If you stray off the excellent curry menu for lunch/dinner and into Western food, you face a long wait and disappointment - they are working on it

2. At time of writing the hotel has no alcohol licence - so if you want beer/wine you need to bring your own - they are working on it

3. If you are smoker, you will be banished to a delightful 'naughty seat' overlooking the tea plantation - even as a smoker, I am all for it

Most importantly, and this might matter to some...

4. The hotel has no Air Conditioning. The rooms have ceiling fans, and we opened the windows at night to try to stay cool , sleeping under the mosquito net in our four-poster bed- but some people may be surprised/disappointed to find no A/C in this price bracket.

Niyagama House is a very special place. We will be back!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Twojackets
Reviewed 15 March 2013 via mobile

When we go away, we always try to treat ourselves to a couple of nights somewhere extra special and Niyagama House was certainly a great choice. I initially had concerns that getting to and from Galle would be difficult but in honesty it couldn't be easier. Niyagama House have negotiated a flat rate with a couple of local tuk tuk drivers (so no haggling!) and they will arrange for them to drop you in to town or collect you as needed. It's also easy enough to pick up a tuk tuk in Galle and if they don't know Niyagama House (although a few of them did) they can phone for directions. It's a pleasant 20 minute spin.

Everyone else has already sung the praises of the staff, food, rooms and hostess and I wholeheartedly endorse it all. It is the pool though that really struck me however. I'm not much of a pool person, preferring instead to swim in the sea, but this was something special. The fact that it is cleaned through a non-chlorine method is definitely something you notice (no nasty smell) and the local kingfisher seems to approve as well - you might spot him taking a quick dip!

Food was great and while there was no alcohol available, they are more than happy for you to bring back a few beers or a bottle of wine from Galle to have with your meal. I'm not sure if it's just that they haven't gotten around to stocking alcohol or if it is absent due to an emphasis on yoga, detox etc. If it is the latter then it would be a good idea to make that clear on the website as the last thing you'd want is for people to be disappointed that they can't have a cool beer on their balcony or a bottle of white with dinner.

All in all, a great, relaxing, peaceful and luxurious place to stay! Will be back.

• Stayed: February 2013
NiyagamaHouse, Owner at Niyagama House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2013

Dear Kevin,

I am so very late to answer your review, but I don't want to miss to thank you very much for this long review! Thank you very much for the hint concerning the serving of alcohol. After opening the hotel in December 2012 our policy concerning alcohol was not 100% set. Now we decided - as you already mentioned - to go more into the direction of a healthy retreat. So we don't serve alcohol in the restaurant. But as each room has its own little mini fridge, there will be enough space to store your own and enjoy it on the balcony ;-).

All the best to you and the one with the beautiful name ;-)!

Many greetings to cork from the tea plantation,

Reviewed 13 March 2013

Our friends stayed at Niyagama a week before we arrived to the area and they said that this is one place we simply can not leave out from our route. They were right.
There are so many positive things to say about Niyagama that I will have to brake i down to points to make it transparent :)
- The hospitality!!! was just amazing. Elke and Chaminda were both very attentive to our every need even before we arrived there (e-mails etc...) and throughout our stay. Elke even packed us some curry leaves before we left because we liked it so much :D.
- The scene: the hotel is within a tea plantation so even though it is very close to everything, you really feel like in the middle of nature. Beautiful birds and intense green colors all around assure you relaxation.
- The hotel is designed beautifully and it is visible that is was planed with a lot of care (also for the future). I love the fact that it is so spacious and intimate.
- The food: we really enjoyed the food everywhere in Sri lanka, but we have to admit that rice and curry was best here. Do not miss out! Also, The menu of Niyagama included so many yummy juices I was having a hard time deciding which one to try.

Unfortunately we only stayed for one night (our last night in Sri lanka), but totally fell in love with the place. We simply have to come back - maybe for a week of relaxation and yoga.... Can't wait! :)

To conclude, all I can say is that this place is a must!
Elke and Chaminda - keep up with the great work!

Room Tip: All the rooms are perfect, so don't worry :)
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Adi,

just one night here but soooo many wonderful words about Niyagama House.... Thank you soooo much from the bottom of my heart!
So please DO come back: the yoga retreats are running and the mat is waiting for you ;-))))!
And of course I need to think about a special surprise for you to pay back for this amazing review!

Big hug and many greetings to Budapest from our little tea plantation,

Reviewed 11 March 2013

A beautiful escape from the world - peaceful, quiet, comfortable, with wonderful staff, food and a fantastic pool. The House is new, but based on colonial classic design, and gives a timeless feel. It is cool, even when warm outside. Beds are comfortable, the rooms are spaceous, airy and spotless. The staff are helpful, always nearby when needed to serve a juice or tea. Breakfasts are generous, served with a view of the pool and the surrounding trees. A wonderful place to relax.
Strongly recommended

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear DOHI,

a little late but very big MERCI BEAUCOUP for your wonderful review! With these lines your help to bring Niyagama House closer to our next guests.
I wish you all the best for your future and it would be marvellous to see you again - but then without a delay of the plane, so that you can enjoy every second here.

Many greetings to Paris,