Niyagama House
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$514
US$95
Hotels.com
Era Beach(Galle)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsyoga classestea plantationyoga roomamethyst roominner peaceamazing yogagreat teachertuk tukbeautiful retreatsmall teasurrounding jungleperfect place to relax and unwindsri lankastunning architecturefull body massageno alcoholbike tour
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 April 2013 via mobile

Dear friends,

The Niyagama House is just DIVINE!
I spent two weeks traveling around Sri Lanka and this place has left me speechless in its beauty and tranquility.

The "house" is in a perfect location, about 10-15 minutes from Galle, set in the hills on a tea plantation! The house is stunning, check out the photos. I believe there are about 8 rooms, all named after gemstones. I stayed in the Tourmaline room, with a beautiful private balcony (though all my free time was spent at the pool).

The location is quiet, and you can see the stars and fireflies fill the night-sky. It is Perfect location for day trips to explore Galle (treat yourself to lunch at the Galle Fort Hotel) and beaches.

Elke, the German owner (along with her Sri Lankan partner), is a wonderful hostess and yoga teacher!!! She is beautiful inside and out. She starts each morning with a free beautiful guided meditation on the rooftop, followed by yoga (either 60-90 minutes for an additional cost). The yoga room will also take your breath away, it's the most serene location I've ever taken a class in! And Elke, being a dancer, is a beautiful teacher. One day I felt like getting my butt kicked, the next day I needed more of a gentle class, Elke was great. She even gave me an amazing full body stretch in shivasana.

The rice and curry dishes were my favorite, and breakfast also amazing with fresh fruits, juices and both local and western options. Breakfast is included and a great bargain!

The staff very good, and friendly.

The Infinity pool left me speechless, I call it the "divinity" pool. They don't use chlorine and instead a copper system. The water was so refreshing. I became a mermaid at the Niyagama House!

I stayed only three days, but it felt more like three weeks...well not really. But I left feeling refreshed, detoxed and peaceful.
It feels more like staying in a friends AMAZING home than a hotel.

Whether you are traveling solo and looking for a healthy retreat, or on a lovers retreat...Don't hesitate, book this beautiful place! You wont regret it. I can't wait to get back...I hope to organize a special yoga/detox retreat here for Americans in June 2014. The perfect place to take over!

I love the story of the Niyagama House and Elke's energy! It's a beautiful reminder that DREAMS can come true!!!

Your welcome to email me with any questions you have! Erindouglas108@gmail.com

• Stayed: April 2013
Thank E.D. Austin
Reviewed 25 April 2013

We loved every element of our stay at Niyagama House. From the beautiful words carved into the wood over the main entrance to the infinity pool from which we watched black monkeys play in the trees and the 100s of fruit bats leaving their roost at dusk.

We were given a king coconut each on arrival which was much nicer than the sweetened fruit juice you get from most hotels we stayed in in Sri Lanka.

The house is surrounded by a tea plantation and we very much enjoyed the tour we were given where we were shown how tea, cinnamon and peppercorns are grown and harvested.

We had a couple of Ayurvedic massages which were out of this world and drank lots of the Ayurvedic tea concoctions which were delicious. The food was also amazing but if you are planning to stay for more than a few nights then it might get a bit repetitive as the menu didn’t change much. Nothing is too much trouble – even rescuing us at night when a ginormous bug found its way into our room!

We stayed in the Amethyst Room which was very clean, beautifully presented and had a four poster bed, safe, mossie net and big bathroom as well as stunning views from the window which you could see when lying on the bed.

The owners have a relationship with local tuk tuk drivers who will take you into Galle for a fixed price which is very reasonable (and they actually know where they are going – it’s worth ringing ahead when you arrive in Galle for a pick up)! The hotel is about 15/20 mins away from Galle but we only went into town once as we were enjoying ourselves at the hotel so much.

Excursions looked good. We did a walk through a national park to a pretty waterfall, it was lovely but probably a bit expensive for what it was once you factored in tips for the guide and the driver. Very comfortable car though and the owners obviously pay the local staff very well and in return expect a high level of service for their guests so the money is going to the right people.

The resident dogs are lovely, don't be put off by their barks when you arrive, they are all total puppy dogs who are very spoilt by Sri Lankan standards.

6am meditation and yoga on the roof terrace as the sun rose to the soundtrack of birdsong was out of this world.

Room Tip: Amethyst room is at the top of the house with amazing views - I think it's a bit smaller than the other rooms, however for us it was perfectly adequate in size.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2013

We had such an amazing time at Niyagama House and it was an absolute highlight of an already wonderful trip in beautiful Sri Lanka. The house itself is utterly beautiful, with bright, high-ceilinged rooms that open out onto views of the tea plantation and gardens. Everything here is planned with such care and attention to detail, from the meditation on the roof in the morning (with a backdrop of the birds and the sunrise) to the turn-down of the beds at night.
We loved the gardens and seeing the cinnamon being produced, and the setting is great. It's a short, convenient tuktuk ride or drive to Galle and is well placed for day trips to the coast.
We were fortunate enough to inaugurate Niyagama House's first cookery class, which was fantastic! Elke led a series of great, energising, yoga classes, introducing me to yoga for the first time. It's not been the same practising yoga without the panoramic view of the jungle. Keep your eyes peeling and you might even catch the resident tortoise doing the circuit of the grounds! We really enjoyed swimming in the pool. No chlorine here, just a beautiful, relaxed swim while you watch the sun go down over the hills and listen to the birds.
I can't recommend this place enough. You should book a room immediately.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Cannot even begin to describe what a wonderful place this is...

I suppose I could write that as a lone female traveller looking to do a yoga retreat this place was secluded, beautiful, lovingly built with attention to every detail by the beautiful Elke and her husband as their dream house of marble, white pillars and carved wood on top of a hill table tea plantation surrounded by jungle. I could write that the rooms are spacious, with granite floors, walk in showers, beautiful carved four poster beds with the softest white linens and large double windows looking out onto the jungle and hilltops around. With just seven luxury rooms for guests, the entire stay feels like you have the whole house to yourself complete with fish pond in the large open air hall.
I could write that the yoga offered every morning and evening in the purpose built yoga room looking out through a wall of huge floor to ceiling windows onto the jungle was not just well taught (technically a great mix of challenging and relaxing, noticeably tailored to your level) but more importantly taught with enthusiasm and passion by Elke, who has an extensive background in dance but whose baby is yoga. I could mention the sunrise rooftop guided meditation to sounds of birds and not much else with a 360 view of the sun cresting around the mountains, or Elke's lovely lilting voice sending you off to a dream like state. I should say that it's also possible to do yoga courses combined with hollistic health therapies such as juice cleanses and as the whole house is thoughtfully built with wooden carved panels to create a breezy feel and therefore avoid harsh air con not a single detail pertaining to the health of their guests has been overlooked.
I could mention the friendly catering staff, dressed in gorgeous peacock blue uniforms, appearing like from a dream and always courteous and willing to serve your curry or king coconut or authentic Sri Lankan tea from their excellent kitchen in front of the infinity pool and jungle. I should probably write that the food was a delightful variety of fresh curries of various vegetables (I could not name half of them but I could eat all of them ten times over), chicken or fresh fish, and that there is a selection of Western food as an alternative and a Sri Lankan breakfast spread to fill you up until dinner, with a variety of juices and cocktails and king coconuts. I could insist that you try the pumpkin and ginger soup.
I could mention that I didn't wear a pair of shoes or even flip flops for 8 days while I walked the granite floors and wood carved staircases and rooftops (except once to take an excellent tour around the tea plantation to taste cinnamon bark and pepper and papayas fresh off the trees all around - be careful not to step on the resident tortoise).
I could say that the location of the place, while always feeling utterly secluded due to vast green foliage all around, is actually only a short tuk tuk ride away from popular South coast beaches and attractions - barely twenty five minutes into Galle.
It would be an oversight not to write about the vast blue pool looking out onto the jungle, always warm and clean without chlorine, or the availability of traditional aryuvedic massage and therapy.
Just in case I haven't portrayed the overwhelming sense of peace and wellbeing, coupled with the tasteful, elegant luxury of this marble and carved wood palace I'd better state it again.

I could write all of that. I almost don't want to because this place is a rare and as yet undiscovered jewel. But none of that is really the point. Because what makes this place truly special - a gem in a sea of paradise resorts - is the sheer kindness and generosity of both Elke and her husband, without which my stay wouldn't have been possible, and without which my stay wouldn't have been as utterly charming and memorable. The warmth and sweetness with which they run Niyagama House is the reason to stay here.

Room Tip: Cannot imagine that there's a single room in Niyagama House that hasn't been built to a superior standard
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank 3OfSpades
Reviewed 11 April 2013

Hi my wife and I stayed their in March 2013. The house is spectacular, the pool is just superb, the views are lovely and overall it is a warm and inviting retreat.

The meditation in the morning with the sunrise really is a great way to start the day. The food is very good and service was the best we encountered in Sri Lanka.

Getting there is relatively easy from Galle or Unawatuna.

We sincerely recomend this propert.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple