“First class stay in Niyagama House!”
Review of Niyagama House

Niyagama House
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Galle
Preston, England
“First class stay in Niyagama House!”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at Niyagama House where we enjoyed an extremely relaxing break. The attention to detail that has gone into the house is exceptional, it truly is luxury in the middle of a tea plantation with quality fixtures and fittings throughout. The beds stood out for me superking (uk size) and soooooooo comfortable!
All the staff were very friendly and helpful. The service we received was certainly to a high standard. The 18m pool was amazing, set in such beautiful surroundings. I particularly liked the thoughtful approach the owners had taken to the environment. The chlorine free pool was sublime! We took the Sri Lankan special for breakfast every day which was always different and would highly recommend this!
My husband was encouraged to try yoga for the first time and he thoroughly enjoyed it under Elke's expert tuition.
A visit to a local tea factory and Galle were arranged for us and made for interesting days out, Galle Fort is a must!
We will definitely be returning!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
NiyagamaHouse, Owner at Niyagama House, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear Cinnamon Bear,

thank you so much for your wonderful review!!! We all, including the staff, are absolutely happy, that you had a great holiday here! Please DO come again for some more yoga and the special "floating meditation" in the pool ;-))))! Also the tuktuk will be ready for some more driving lessons, if you like :-)))!
We wish you only the best for your future!
Elke

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Together with my friend I visited Niyagama House in June. Niyagama House is a beautiful manor house set back in hill side near Galle. It is surrounded by tea plantation on one side and untouched jungle on the other. The hotel has been beautifully designed by the talented architect and who lives in and runs the hotel together with her husband. The house has been designed to fit in with the surrounding nature and offers a peaceful sanctuary where you could happily stay for weeks!

I stayed at Niyagama for a 5 day yoga retreat. The 5 day package was great value with two daily yoga classes led by Elke, the fabulous german lady who has also designed the house. She was not only was a patient teacher, but also very inspirational and strived to make her guests feel special and have a laugh. The 5 day package also included accommodation in stunning and spacious bedrooms, massages, power juices etc etc. The food, in particular the breakfast was delicious and the fresh water swimming pool amazingly refreshing.

I would certainly stay at Niyagama House again, the sooner the better. What a beautiful, relaxing and friendly place this was.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Mari,

better a little bit late, then not at all:
Thank you so much for your review here on Tripadvisor! I agree, that we really had some great yoga classes together and both of you did fantastic! I hope you have a chance to keep on practicing yoga and wish you all the best for your future!

It would be great to welcome you here again! Or we will meet in a Yoga Studio in London? Everything is possible ;-)))!

Londno
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We stayed three nights at Niyagama House and it was an unforgettable experience.

The location is perfect: the hotel is on top of a hill in the middle of tea plantations, which offers breathtaking views and a absolute tranquility. And it's just about 20 minutes with Tuk-Tuk or car from Galle town and Unawatuna beach, one of the best beaches on the island that has many beach bars. It has only seven rooms, which makes it intimate and relaxing.

Elke and Chaminda are charming and very professional hosts. Elke offers yoga and meditation classes and Chaminda offered us a tour of the premises, introducing us to the local produce and the woods used in the construction of the house. The staff is friendly and attentive - we felt like they could read our minds: never intrusive, but always there when we fancied a drink by the pool.

Anyone visiting Sri Lanka who has the chance to find a room at the Niyagama House should treat themselves to at least a couple of nights, it was unlike any other place we'd been to. And compared to the mega-resorts on the island, it's great value and much more intimate.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Pearl room, which was beautiful, especially the large balcony and the rain shower h...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Dear MB,

even though I already thanked you via email, I finally have the time to also send you a BIG thank you via this response! I am happy, that we could offer you the right setting for some relaxing holidays full of relaxation, massages and yoga.
Wishing both of you all the best for your future!!!

Many greetings from the tea plantation,
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We stayed two nights at Niyagama after our stay in Galle and Colombo and it was the best place to relax and recharge for the rest of the trip. I loved it! It's spotlessly clean and tastefully decorated to the smallest detail. The pool is fabulous. The surroundings are lovely. Elke, the owner, is super helpful and it's easy to see she has everything under control. The staff is also very nice, but seemed at times to "restrain" themselves in their niceness...I don't know how to put it in words...
Anyway, the food is also great, if more expensive than in Galle. I only have two "complaints": there is no alcohol, and if you bring your own you cannot drink it while having a romantic dinner (a bit annoying, since no one should be treated as children), and the massage, which was average but expensive.
All in all, however, this was one of the best places we stayed in Sri Lanka and would gladly go back. Lovely.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear VZ,

thank you very much for your review full of kind words and interesting comments, that are helping us to improve every day! I am happy to read that we could offer you a good place to enjoy your holiday. And I am already working on your 'suggestions':

1.) I have started to teach our staff English ;-). Maybe it was that feeling of "restrain": they are a little bit afraid to make English mistakes, even though we encourage them to chat with the guests.
2.) During our first year of hotel experience without serving alcohol we already had some "jealous" yogis, sipping on the lime soda, while the couple next to them had a bottle of wine on the table... Also because of your valued feedback we considered, that we can't make everybody happy. And as we are not a "yoga only" retreat, we have changed the hotel policy now into "bring your own and enjoy it everywhere you want". So thanks a lot for this feedback!
3.) For the refund of the massage money it is now unfortunately too late... If you would have let me know, that you did not really enjoyed it, I would not have charged the whole amount. But so far all guests are completely happy with the treatments and we do offer a better price then some of the Spas in Galle. So please come back again, meet our staff chatting with you, while you enjoy your red wine on the verandah after a massage that you liked ;-).

I wish you all the best for your future!

Many greetings, please also to R, from the tea plantation,
Savona, Italy
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We spent here the last night of our holiday in Sri Lanka and we loved the place as soon as we walked the entrance door.
This place is really quiet, almost magical. Niyagama House was built only less than a year ago but has the "charme" of a landmark. The building was built with materials of the highest standard and designed according to the principle of green architecture. Elke, the owner, and the entire staff were extremely friendly. Dinner and breakfast were very good.
The swimming pool is one of the best I have ever tried...I think its water is also cleaned with green treatments, without using any chemicals.
We really enjoyed the early morning meditation on the roof terrace (with singing birds in the background), guided visit to the tea plantation and the curry cooking lesson with resident lady chef (Elke then sent us the recipes via email).
It is taken for granted that next time we will stay more than one night! Thanks a lot Elke and all!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Daniele70
NiyagamaHouse, Owner at Niyagama House, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Dear Daniele,

thank you so much for your wonderful words! It was a pleasure to have you here as our guests, and for me it felt as if you stayed for several days. Yes, you are right: the purification is done by the copper-silver-ionization method and I am very happy, that we don't need to put in all the chlorine. It is better for our skin and eyes and we can use the water for our tea plantation, if we need to clean the whole pool.
Looking very much forward to welcome you here again!
Take care, Elke
Reviewed 19 August 2013

It's a short stay here but we were impressed with the excellent service rendered to us. The place is very clean and and it has beautiful architecture. The host, Elka is very friendly and helpful in helping us in planning our day trip itinerary. We end off the day with home cooked Sri Langkan dinner... It was so good that we asked for 2nd serving on the dishes. The staff there are also very attentive to ensuring that they deliver good service. It is also a good place to for yoga session in such a serene environment. A great place for relaxation!

• Stayed July 2013
NiyagamaHouse, Owner at Niyagama House, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Dear Hazel,

sorry for this response being so late! Still I don't want to miss this opportunity and send you a huge thank you for this review!!! Every time I am tired from work I flip through these fantastic reviews and they lift me up again. So it happened also with your review and I read it out loud at the staff meeting to share your lines with them.
I wish you and C. all the best and hope to see you again here in Niyagama House!

Düsseldorf, Germany
Reviewed 16 August 2013

We started our honeymoon around Sri Lanka in Galle and chose Niyagama House as the first place to stay. It's tranquil and relaxed atmosphere was perfect to relax a little and recharge.
Situated a few kilometers outside of town in their own little tea plantation yet close enough to historic Galle to pay the fort and surrounding sights a visit it was just what we had looked for.
The new built villa radiates a classic aura as if it had been around since colonial times. The very stylish enterieur tastefully bridges the time of former days to modern interior design.
The friendly staff only completed the most memorable stay.
Most recommended and definitely our first choice for our next visit to Galle!

Room Tip: All seven rooms are awesome. Amethyst Room is their cosy top floor retreat. Pearl Suite probably t...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Eva, dear Jan,

I just stumbled upon your review and was astonished to find without my answer... I thought, that I already had replied - well, better now then never ;-))).
Thank you very very much for this review and your kind words! Every review is like a precious gift and means a lot to us. I hope, everything is fine and who knows - maybe we can meet in my old "hometown" in Germany, when I will be there for my next visit.
Wishing you all the best for your "new" future together!

Elke
Also consider these accommodations in or near Galle
Tamarind Hill by Asia Leisure
#4 of 31 in Unawatuna
CoCo Bay Unawatuna
CoCo Bay Unawatuna
#2 of 31 in Unawatuna

Been to Niyagama House? Share your experiences!