“High end yoga hideaway to relax at after long travels”
Review of Niyagama House

Niyagama House
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Galle
Monte-Carlo, Monaco
“High end yoga hideaway to relax at after long travels”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We stayed here after our tiring tour through Sri Lanka: it is a fantastic place to recharge and recover from long travels. We did yoga and meditation lessons and had a great full-body massage. The jungle infinity pool is glorious (and the water does not sting your eyes). The food was great and the massage and the meditation were both incredible experiences. We would recommend the House to anyone passing through Galle who needs a quiet moment away from all the chaos or to everyone who is looking for a high quality yoga retreat. The rooms are nicely designed, spacious and really comfortable - but you'll spend most of your time around the fantastic pool anyway. It is a great and personal high quality boutique hotel.

Room Tip: Can recommend the Sapphire room, very spacious and great views
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
NiyagamaHouse, Owner at Niyagama House, responded to this review, 2 November 2013
Dear Jarvis_Pizza (cool name ;-),

thank you so much for your wonderful review and for mentioning the yoga and meditation in it! We are looking forward to attract more yogis & yoginis from all over the world, that why I am really grateful that you mentioned it. Thanks again - every review means a lot to us!

Wishing both of you only the very best! Take care!

Many greetings from the tea plantation,
Elke

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I almost don't want to share with anyone about how amazing this place is - I want to keep it all to myself! Myself and my husband booked Niyagama House at the very last minute, stumbled across it purely by chance and weren't really looking for a yoga retreat. I’d read a couple of good reviews on here but was nervous as it was still a relatively new kid on the guest house block.
I needn't have worried - from the moment we arrived to the moment we departed it was like staying with an old friend! Elke and her staff work tirelessly to accommodation your every need and wish.....no request is too big or too small.

The location of the house takes a bit of finding, but this just adds to the secret hideaway charm. The house itself sits high on a hill set within a working tea plantation, there are plenty of opportunities to explore the grounds, either by a guided tour, a cycle or just ambling along alone. The design of the house conforms to Feng Shui principles and the instant feeling of calm energy, flow and tranquility just washes over you, it’s quite magical! The central open air courtyard makes for an unusual central hub, but what a fantastic space to stand and watch the monsoons hurtle to the ground, or see prayers offered to Buddha. A unique use of space and much more entertaining than a high tech plasma in your room!

Our beautiful voluminous room (or suite) was minimally decorated with two extremely comfortable four poster beds dominating the space, one with much needed mozi net. To one side floor to ceiling glazing gives way to beautiful crafted solid wooden doors, with Sri Lankan carving detail which leads on to a large balcony/terrace area kitted out with a couple of loungers - a perfect place to watch the world go by! The en-suite bathroom; if not a little dark was roomy and fitted with a superb shower with fabulous settings, double sinks and more amazing views across the grounds and beyond.
The side terrace; where all the meals are served, overlooks the most stunning of pools, heavy loungers trim the edge of the infinity pool with deep precise steps leading you into probably one of the best infinity pools I’ve ever swam in! For the majority of the stay we enjoyed the pool area to ourselves, but even with guests it still feels an intimate and quiet place to retreat to, with staff constantly on hand to offer healthy juices or snacks. We dined every meal at Niyagama House - this isn’t the norm for us when away but the food was so fresh and delicious it was just too good an opportunity to miss! I still crave the Pumpkin & Carrot soup, simply divine!

As we hadn’t booked a specific retreat, accommodation only we weren’t expecting to have the opportunity to do yoga, however on our first day Elke offered a complimentary yoga class, two slots were available one at 6.30am (which sadly we never made) and another early evening. Both located in a beautiful open studio space looking out onto the leafy terrain outside. Elke is a wonderful yoga teacher, a trained professional she clearly enjoys the company and explains clearly all aspect of each yoga pose, whilst also fully immersing herself into challenging postures. I've done yoga sporadically but my husband is a complete beginner and I felt Elke accommodated both our needs perfectly. We opted for additional lessons and also tried a meditation class, which we found thoroughly relaxing and felt the worlds worries slowly lifting away.

Niyagama House is by far one of the most relaxing places I've ever stayed, I just can’t fault Elke and her wonderful staff, she’s managed to create a truly stunning & stylish balance between friendly chatter and calm. I’ve never stayed at a retreat before so I was nervous it might feel slightly like a regime but at Niyagama it couldn't have been more welcoming, I cannot wait to return!!

Room Tip: Choose a room with a terrace, a great place to relax in complete peace and seclusion. Or an early m...
Dear Lulu,

this is one of the best reviews EVER and I can't thank you enough for it! As our goal is to offer here in Niyagama House one of the best yoga retreats in Sri Lanka, I am especially grateful for your wonderful comment on my classes and the guided meditation! Thanks again very much! And now I will go to tell the Staff about it ;-))).

All the best to both of you! It would be wonderful to welcome you here again - maybe for one of our yoga retreat packages ;-)?!?

New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 October 2013

My wife and I visited Niyagama House as the first stop on our honeymoon. We stayed for 5 nights which gave us a good chance to enjoy all the activities and excursions that Niyagama House had to offer.

The house itself:
No expense was spared and the house is absolutely gorgeous in every single way. The attention to detail is fantastic from the intricate carvings, the stone floors, and western conveniences. Make no mistake about it, this is a LUXURY guest house with all the western amenities.

The staff and owner Elke:
Absolutely amazing. Elke and her staff took care of our every request, question, need, etc. The staff were truly fantastic and we were greatly taken care of and looked after both during our time on the property and all the activities that we decided to do.

Yoga:
My wife did the three day yoga retreat and absolutely loved it. I myself took one class and enjoyed it very much. Since I have little to no yoga knowledge, I can only say that my wife loved Elke's classes and thought she was a great yoga instructor.

Food:
The food was excellent! When I was travelling in India, I had some stomach issues so we choose to eat at Niyagama House often since we knew the quality of the food, ingredients, and preparation would be fine for my weak western stomach. :-P

The food was very fresh and the curries were all excellent. I loved being able to eat the local dishes without having to worry about getting an upset stomach.

If we ever return to Sri Lanka (which I certainly hope we do), I will absolutely stay at Niyagama House again. The pictures are a great representation of the house and it 100% looks as good or better in person.

I can honestly say there is no other hotel/guest house that I've ever stayed in that I can recommend as highly as this one. An absolute gem!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
NiyagamaHouse, Owner at Niyagama House, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
My dear Deltat3 guys,

I truly needed to digest your unbelievable fantastic review for some days... And I still have tears of happiness in my eyes, reading your lines again! You are so wonderful! Thank you very, very, very much for your support and the for the time it took to write these lines! I already gave it to Prasad to read (and translate) it to the staff, so that they get their share of it.

I wish you only the very best for your future and hope to see you again! Keep your yoga practice up - see you again on the mat ;-))).

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 17 October 2013

The best and most comfortable stay I have ever had. Elke and team were extremely efficient, friendly, hospitable and lovely. Words cant describe how wonderful the people at Niyagama House are. I will def. go back again. I miss the peacefulness already. I recommend every person to go there for a vacation. Visit Galle and def. stay at Niyagama House. You will not be disappointed.

Cant wait to go back!

Dear ModiModi,

what shall I say???? Words can't describe who thankful we are for your support! Thank you so much! We are looking forward to welcome you here again!!! All the best for both of you! Take care, Elke
Preston, England
Reviewed 8 October 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at Niyagama House where we enjoyed an extremely relaxing break. The attention to detail that has gone into the house is exceptional, it truly is luxury in the middle of a tea plantation with quality fixtures and fittings throughout. The beds stood out for me superking (uk size) and soooooooo comfortable!
All the staff were very friendly and helpful. The service we received was certainly to a high standard. The 18m pool was amazing, set in such beautiful surroundings. I particularly liked the thoughtful approach the owners had taken to the environment. The chlorine free pool was sublime! We took the Sri Lankan special for breakfast every day which was always different and would highly recommend this!
My husband was encouraged to try yoga for the first time and he thoroughly enjoyed it under Elke's expert tuition.
A visit to a local tea factory and Galle were arranged for us and made for interesting days out, Galle Fort is a must!
We will definitely be returning!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Cinnamon Bear,

thank you so much for your wonderful review!!! We all, including the staff, are absolutely happy, that you had a great holiday here! Please DO come again for some more yoga and the special "floating meditation" in the pool ;-))))! Also the tuktuk will be ready for some more driving lessons, if you like :-)))!
We wish you only the best for your future!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Together with my friend I visited Niyagama House in June. Niyagama House is a beautiful manor house set back in hill side near Galle. It is surrounded by tea plantation on one side and untouched jungle on the other. The hotel has been beautifully designed by the talented architect and who lives in and runs the hotel together with her husband. The house has been designed to fit in with the surrounding nature and offers a peaceful sanctuary where you could happily stay for weeks!

I stayed at Niyagama for a 5 day yoga retreat. The 5 day package was great value with two daily yoga classes led by Elke, the fabulous german lady who has also designed the house. She was not only was a patient teacher, but also very inspirational and strived to make her guests feel special and have a laugh. The 5 day package also included accommodation in stunning and spacious bedrooms, massages, power juices etc etc. The food, in particular the breakfast was delicious and the fresh water swimming pool amazingly refreshing.

I would certainly stay at Niyagama House again, the sooner the better. What a beautiful, relaxing and friendly place this was.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Mari,

better a little bit late, then not at all:
Thank you so much for your review here on Tripadvisor! I agree, that we really had some great yoga classes together and both of you did fantastic! I hope you have a chance to keep on practicing yoga and wish you all the best for your future!

It would be great to welcome you here again! Or we will meet in a Yoga Studio in London? Everything is possible ;-)))!

Londno
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We stayed three nights at Niyagama House and it was an unforgettable experience.

The location is perfect: the hotel is on top of a hill in the middle of tea plantations, which offers breathtaking views and a absolute tranquility. And it's just about 20 minutes with Tuk-Tuk or car from Galle town and Unawatuna beach, one of the best beaches on the island that has many beach bars. It has only seven rooms, which makes it intimate and relaxing.

Elke and Chaminda are charming and very professional hosts. Elke offers yoga and meditation classes and Chaminda offered us a tour of the premises, introducing us to the local produce and the woods used in the construction of the house. The staff is friendly and attentive - we felt like they could read our minds: never intrusive, but always there when we fancied a drink by the pool.

Anyone visiting Sri Lanka who has the chance to find a room at the Niyagama House should treat themselves to at least a couple of nights, it was unlike any other place we'd been to. And compared to the mega-resorts on the island, it's great value and much more intimate.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Pearl room, which was beautiful, especially the large balcony and the rain shower h...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Dear MB,

even though I already thanked you via email, I finally have the time to also send you a BIG thank you via this response! I am happy, that we could offer you the right setting for some relaxing holidays full of relaxation, massages and yoga.
Wishing both of you all the best for your future!!!

Many greetings from the tea plantation,
Elke
Also consider these accommodations in or near Galle
Cantaloupe Levels
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,695 reviews
Cantaloupe Aqua
Cantaloupe Aqua
#9 of 31 in Unawatuna

Been to Niyagama House? Share your experiences!