“Beautiful Paradise Retreat Spa”
Review of Niyagama House

Niyagama House
Ranked #4 of 26 Hotels in Galle
Reviewed 29 July 2014

During my stay in Sri Lanka last week I had the pleasure of visiting Niyagama House. I had found it on the internet when I was searching for 'Yoga in Galle'. I am a Yoga teacher and interested in attending some classes while on holiday. I took a tuk tuk from Galle, about 15 minute drive into the tea plantation hills. Niyagama rises out of the steep slopes of hill. It sits firmly aloft, overlooking the treetops and surrounding plantations. It is exquisitely designed to blend with the surrounding culture and the best of the Sri Lanka architectural features, and also offers super modern facilities. The moment you step into the space one cannot help but relax in the atmosphere of calm and beauty. I had a wonderful Yoga session with Elke who owns Niyagama. She is a great teacher, and also the architect and designer. I had breakfast with her German family and took a dip in the infinity pool. The water is not chemically treated and is soft and doesn't sting your eyes. Please contact Niyagama for details of how they purify their swimming pool water. All the while surrounded by exotic birds and butterflies. Before lunch I had a full body massage. I had a gifted therapist. Niyagama offers a range of interesting therapies. I was wrapped in one of their sarongs and joined my family poolside before we had lunch. Traditional rice and curry, delicious. Again everything was luxurious and sumptuous. I am looking forward to going back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 8 July 2014

My mom brought me to Niyagama House, it is a great place to stay in Galle! It is comfortable to live around the tea plantations. I swam all day long in the lovely pool, it was amazing (it is good that it doesnt have chlorine). The ruby room was facing the pool and I can see it every morning. I really liked the architecture of the house too. We did meditation on the roof in morning and it was really refreshing.
Spending 5-6 days at Niyagama House was relaxing. I hope I can go there next year!

Room Tip: If you are travelling with only 2 persons, you can go to the ruby or amethyst room, one on 2 floor a...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This was our first time to Sri Lanka and Niyagama house was our first stop - what a way to start our holiday. Airport pick up was great after a long flight and Elke was waiting in this beautiful tea plantation house to make sure we felt at home. The rooms were spacious and clean and the staff were lovely. The terrace overlooked the pool and hills and was a perfect place to eat breakfast and dinner. The food was delicious and far nicer than the lunch we experienced in Galle. The house has it's own small tea plantation and a morning guided walk was a great way to start the day. We will be recommending this place to our friends and family. We wish we had stayed a few days longer and will definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank K_GHols
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We loved every minute of our stay at the Niyagama House. It is located on a beautiful tea plantation with stunning views and very calm, relaxing atmosphere. Elke, the owner and architect of the house is very friendly and inviting. She was kind enough to help arrange our transportation as well as sight-seeing trips during our stay. Since we stayed during low season and the house was not full, we received a complimentary upgrade to the Tourmaline room which includes a balcony with a great view. The entire house was meticulously clean, bright and well decorated.

All of the staff were kind, helpful and attentive. We absolutely loved both the breakfast and dinner. The pool is serene and it is easy to spend the entire afternoon lounging and swimming. The house is a perfect place to relax and unwind.

This has been one of our favourite hotels and we wish we could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Tourmaline room. This room has a balcony with lovely views.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DSWorldTravel
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Perched on top of a tea plantation, Niyagama house offers an amazing scenery from every corner. The greenery that surrounds the house offers inner peace, while the beautifully and intricately-designed house is a treat to the eyes. Upon finding out that I would be spending 9 days in Galle, though registered only for the 7-days yoga retreat and not staying in any of the rooms in the House, Elke welcomed me for all 9 days. On top of that, I was given the flexibility to complete my 7-day programme in 9 days. She took such great efforts to ensure that I, as well as all her other guests, were well looked after - from transport arrangements, to food, to day to day activities and the list goes on. It was extremely difficult to bid farewell to the host and her lovely staff who were so accommodating and kind.

It is definitely a place where one can relax and rejuvenate. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

This is a long overdue review. Niyagama house was a chosen escape given our hectic banking jobs in Singapore. Both my partner and I had high expectations of the trip to rest our overworked minds and bodies, but we knew that trying to fix that in 5 nights would be near impossible
But Niyagama house did! From the friendly and ever caring Elke, the attentive staff who spoke English sufficiently to understand what we need, the lovely chefs who tried their best to accommodate all dietary restrictions, and even the kind and sweet natured transport drivers who were ever patient, these characters made our trip extra memorable and helped us to return home completely rejuvenated and rested. For once we were able to sleep by 10pm and get up by sunrise, completed well rested, to thoroughly enjoy ourselves in Elke's yoga classes.
Niyagama house is situated in a meticulously cared for tea plantation, and is home to the most lovely plantation dogs who will follow you in your stroll dutifully and patiently to make sure you have the most peaceful, tranquil, relaxing stroll in your life.
The only little gripe I could think of is if the staff forgets to light the incense at dinner, there might be some mozzies or bugs. This is easily solved by lighting an incense however.
If not for the fact that the partner and I are trying to visit as many new countries as possible, we'll return to Niyagama house in a heartbeat. Highly recommended

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Niyagama House just blowed our mind. it's one of the best places we visited among our numerous travels. If you are looking for a calm, quite place to have a moment with yourself and nature, its a place to go. First of all, the house is beautifully designed and decorated by the owner, Elke. Spacious place full of light, warm wood and nice touches everywhere you glance. Facilities include georgeous swimming pool with mesmerising view of fallen stars in the water at night, massage room, library. To soothe the soul and strengthen body, early morning meditations and two times a day yoga classes by Elke are available. Groups are quite small, as there are just 7 guest rooms in the house, hence the lessons are very personal. The house is located 10 km away from Galle, but it's not a problem as in advance booked tuk tuk will bring you to the city in c.20 min. The house is located on a hill of a tea plantation, and the manager will give you a tour around if you are interested to learn more about local plants and tea growing.
The service was super, friendly and attentive, very considered, helpful.
We spend two days/2 nights at Niyagama and felt that all that time we were guests of De Silva family, it's as personal it goes.

Please be aware that the owners chosen "no children below 12 y" policy.

To reach the place - need to arrange tuk tuk from Galle or have your own driver, as the place is 10 km away from Galle.

If you are fussy about food, please consider having dinner in Galle.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Olga S
NiyagamaHouse, Owner at Niyagama House, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear Olga,

thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. And thank you for the wonderful words.

I am especially happy that you also mentioned our yoga classes, that are also available for walk-in guests. Now as the low season here started we picked up our intensive kitchen training again. So that we can offer not only traditional Sri Lankan and out special Asian Fusion Menu, but also a variety of other "mouthwatering" options for all, who are "fussy about food" ;-).

All the best for both of you!
Elke