“Absolutely wonderful guesthouse.”

Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Galle
Coffs Harbour
“Absolutely wonderful guesthouse.”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We needed a complete rest after a trip to India and Niyagama House proved perfect. Thank you Elke and staff for a wonderful 5 days, spent swimming and recouping. Thanks also for the help organizing a few day trips.
Breakfast and dinner on the verandah were so relaxed and delicious. The setting was peaceful and the pool just perfect first and last thing everyday. The house itself is beautiful and well maintained and cleaned.
In general it felt more like a home than commercial business.
My husband and I were travelling with our adult daughter and her husband and we all agree, that it will be our first choice, should we find ourselves in Sri Lanka again.
The guesthouse is set in the hills, just a short drive from Galle and the coast, but it's so lovely there, that you may not want to venture out as much as you originally planned.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank semanasantablues

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This has to be the best hotel I have ever had the fortune to visit. The location is stunning and the hotel is beautiful. The staff were second to none. The owner was great, organising our tours and excursions with a personal touch. My 11 and 15 year old children (as well as the adults) didn't want to leave after 5 days of bliss and serenity, with no TV for 5 days!

Room Tip: There are 7 rooms in this wonderful boutique hotel, all offering fantastic individual style.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

During my stay in Sri Lanka last week I had the pleasure of visiting Niyagama House. I had found it on the internet when I was searching for 'Yoga in Galle'. I am a Yoga teacher and interested in attending some classes while on holiday. I took a tuk tuk from Galle, about 15 minute drive into the tea plantation hills. Niyagama rises out of the steep slopes of hill. It sits firmly aloft, overlooking the treetops and surrounding plantations. It is exquisitely designed to blend with the surrounding culture and the best of the Sri Lanka architectural features, and also offers super modern facilities. The moment you step into the space one cannot help but relax in the atmosphere of calm and beauty. I had a wonderful Yoga session with Elke who owns Niyagama. She is a great teacher, and also the architect and designer. I had breakfast with her German family and took a dip in the infinity pool. The water is not chemically treated and is soft and doesn't sting your eyes. Please contact Niyagama for details of how they purify their swimming pool water. All the while surrounded by exotic birds and butterflies. Before lunch I had a full body massage. I had a gifted therapist. Niyagama offers a range of interesting therapies. I was wrapped in one of their sarongs and joined my family poolside before we had lunch. Traditional rice and curry, delicious. Again everything was luxurious and sumptuous. I am looking forward to going back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My mom brought me to Niyagama House, it is a great place to stay in Galle! It is comfortable to live around the tea plantations. I swam all day long in the lovely pool, it was amazing (it is good that it doesnt have chlorine). The ruby room was facing the pool and I can see it every morning. I really liked the architecture of the house too. We did meditation on the roof in morning and it was really refreshing.
Spending 5-6 days at Niyagama House was relaxing. I hope I can go there next year!

Room Tip: If you are travelling with only 2 persons, you can go to the ruby or amethyst room, one on 2 floor a...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Leyland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This was our first time to Sri Lanka and Niyagama house was our first stop - what a way to start our holiday. Airport pick up was great after a long flight and Elke was waiting in this beautiful tea plantation house to make sure we felt at home. The rooms were spacious and clean and the staff were lovely. The terrace overlooked the pool and hills and was a perfect place to eat breakfast and dinner. The food was delicious and far nicer than the lunch we experienced in Galle. The house has it's own small tea plantation and a morning guided walk was a great way to start the day. We will be recommending this place to our friends and family. We wish we had stayed a few days longer and will definitely return.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank K_GHols
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We loved every minute of our stay at the Niyagama House. It is located on a beautiful tea plantation with stunning views and very calm, relaxing atmosphere. Elke, the owner and architect of the house is very friendly and inviting. She was kind enough to help arrange our transportation as well as sight-seeing trips during our stay. Since we stayed during low season and the house was not full, we received a complimentary upgrade to the Tourmaline room which includes a balcony with a great view. The entire house was meticulously clean, bright and well decorated.

All of the staff were kind, helpful and attentive. We absolutely loved both the breakfast and dinner. The pool is serene and it is easy to spend the entire afternoon lounging and swimming. The house is a perfect place to relax and unwind.

This has been one of our favourite hotels and we wish we could have stayed longer.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Tourmaline room. This room has a balcony with lovely views.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DSWorldTravel
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Perched on top of a tea plantation, Niyagama house offers an amazing scenery from every corner. The greenery that surrounds the house offers inner peace, while the beautifully and intricately-designed house is a treat to the eyes. Upon finding out that I would be spending 9 days in Galle, though registered only for the 7-days yoga retreat and not staying in any of the rooms in the House, Elke welcomed me for all 9 days. On top of that, I was given the flexibility to complete my 7-day programme in 9 days. She took such great efforts to ensure that I, as well as all her other guests, were well looked after - from transport arrangements, to food, to day to day activities and the list goes on. It was extremely difficult to bid farewell to the host and her lovely staff who were so accommodating and kind.

It is definitely a place where one can relax and rejuvenate. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Galle
Tamarind Hill by Asia Leisure
#4 of 31 in Unawatuna
CoCo Bay Unawatuna
CoCo Bay Unawatuna
#2 of 31 in Unawatuna

Been to Niyagama House? Share your experiences!