“A real hideaway”
Review of Templeberg Villa

Templeberg Villa
Ranked #8 of 153 Galle B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We had a wonderful weekend at Villa Templeberg. Although it is situated a little way outside Galle town and fort it was cooler and quieter than being in the middle of the town itself- and it is only a short tuk tuk ride away. The villa is a stylish and elegant retreat in a traditional Dutch style and the rooms are very comfortable and well maintained. We were warmly welcomed by Karin and her staff who went out of their way to make us feel at home. We will definitely return!

• Stayed: August 2014

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We had a pleasant stay of five nights at Templeberg Villa. The longer we were there the more we enjoyed staying at the villa and experiencing the warm hospitality from all staff.
We stayed in the saffron room , which was very large, it was enjoyable to then walk straight out onto the front porch of the villa and be served tea before breakfast.
Templeberg is located about 10 minutes away on a tuk tuk to the nearest swimming (jungle beach). Staff at the villa can organise the tuk tuk, it is a little bit further to Galle Fort , but again it can be easily reached with a tuk tuk. Sudu the resident driver was very safe and always had a huge smile. The food was excellent, we ate the best Sri Lankan curries we had on our two week trip of the country at the villa. The cook, Trixie makes an assortment of curries for you each evening. Each morning you were provided with fresh fruit, cereals as well as a Sri Lankan specialty such as hoppers. Also if you get a chance do a cooking class with Trixie. The class includes a fun trip to the Galle market to get the ingredients. Karin also took us for a visit to a local temple, not the kind of authentic experience you get with large hotels and organised tours.
The only down side is the lack of a decent pool (there is a smaller plunge type pool). We understand the villa is progressing plans to install a pool soon.
We felt Templeberg offered good value accommodation, especially for the Galle area, the villa does not have all the fine details of a five star western style hotel but you have to remember you would pay a lot more for such features in the Galle area.
We had an enjoyable time at Templeberg, and we left relaxed, the staff definitely make the experience enjoyable and treat you as one of their family.

Room Tip: Saffron Room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WJT78
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I'm so happy and lucky that I've choosed this hotel for my university graduation trip. Everything is just perfect. Karin and her team have made this hotel so heartwarming and unique. Trixie, thank u so much for ur delicious dinner, best pumpkin curry I've ever had. Sudu, ur smile made me very happy every morning . Achila, hope I spell the name right, ur a very good guy, having a perfect time talking to u. U have given us a lot of useful advertises. And thnx for the juice~
And also big thnx to the night watcher and the gardener and the maid . U guys r the best.
Last but not the least, Karin , u have a superb taste for artifacts and paintings . Ur hotel is like a big art museum. I really wanna steal one of those antique masks. Lol and to Mumu and Rewa, u two girls stole my heart!!! Try to steal u two but failed~ and Mumu, stop bullying Rewa!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank ChrisChien0627
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I was fortunate enough to return to Templeburg Villa, Galle, Sri Lanka for the second time.

Can I say that things are only getting better! My last review was a reflection of a great stay at
a very good property. But wait there is so much more...

Some stylish touches have been made to the Villa with the rooms now reflecting a fabulous colour coordination and feeling even more traditional and welcoming.

Two brand new bathrooms, tastefully styled and very functional - no hideous shower screens or curtains - brilliant design - truly 5 Star!

My stay was during a time when two of the owners, Brent & Christopher, were over from Melbourne
and I need to say what EXCELLENT hosts they are ... combined with the adorable team of staff
they have at the Villa always smiling and at your beck and call - I never wanted to leave....

It is obvious that Karin, one of the owners who resides in Sri Lanka, has a good relationship with the team to keep things ticking away nicely. The Team worked tirelessly to ensure a high level of service is provided at the Villa, right down to ironing of my sheets! Love it.

Generously I was included in a lunch with local friends of the Templeburg Villa team and the food was AWESOME..... I'm sure there should be chef hat awarded to loveable Trixie love a curry, there was garlic and pumpkin curry - yes Garlic curry - you think to yourself What??
It was the best curry I have ever had complimented with the perfect prawns, papadums and dahl...you hungry now!

A massage is highly recommended at Templeberg, Achila one of the team, works through those knots and knarls to take you to the serenity of the surroundings of Sri Lanka the perfect combination.

You can see from my photos that this was such an amazing trip, I look forward to a return visit to experience all the exciting developments the Templeburg team have planned... See you then ....

Room Tip: The blue room is excellent and as a single female traveller I felt so safe, in the heart of the acti...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank KJW008
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Our stay at Templeberg was superb. Set amongst palms on a hillside 10 minutes tuk tuk ride from Galle fort, this Dutch colonial home is atmospheric and tastefully renovated.
Ruled by the hospitable and informative Karin, (aka Madam Templeberg) the plantation is an oasis from the heat and buzz of the outside Sri lankan world. The staff here are fabulous, alert to your every need. The breakfasts are fresh and delicious, and Trixey's dinners are worth staying in for! Try a massage with Achula - sensational to get over a long flight.
Special mention must go to Reva and Mumu, the canine Templeberg team - we wanted to take them home! Highly recommend the villa for a laid back and well located stay with wonderful people who make you feel like family!

Room Tip: Large plantation suite is the best with the largest bed and room size.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank K P
Reviewed 12 June 2014

If your looking for peace and tranquility then look no further.. Villa Templeberg offers old worldly charm with great service. Only a stone throw off the end of the motorway to Galle Fort this heavenly Dutch Colonial Villa it is nestled amongst five acre of palm trees. The place has three large bedrooms with onsuites and a two bedroom bungalow with a share bathroom ideal for friends or families. This is my second time here and little has changed.. Some atheistic to the garden and buildings but Trixie cooking is Devine and tux tux is always on hand to get you to Unawatuna, Jungle Beach, the Fort or down to Talpe Bay. I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: The front plantation is large and is great for a couple .. Can also add extra bed for small child.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I stayed for 2 nights last year, & enjoyed it so much that when work took me back to Sri Lanka again, I purposely chose to get out of Colombo for 3 nights so I could spend time at my beloved Templeberg.

This place is great. In May I pretty much had the run of the place ( for the price of a single room) and was again made so welcome that I felt like it was coming to visit old friends. One person to nine staff and you are pretty much the centre of attention.

I have been to plenty of places around the world but Karin and her team have managed to create something special at Templeberg - friendly, laid-back, serene.

The navy room where I stayed has been redecorated & a brand new ensuite installed since I visited last. I could see a lot of thought had gone in to the little touches, a blue chair, a navy water jug etc.

I love that Templeberg is constantly being reincarnated and finessed with little bits here and there. There have been a lot of changes since my last visit which is exciting as I love the direction the place is headed in.

Each day there was something new to look at - a hand of bananas, huge decorative breadfruit, new flowers. A local guy who had been commissioned to do some pots also dropped by and I loved talking to him about how he made his concrete pieces - very sculptural.

Trixie's cooking was as amazing as I remembered and I especially asked for her garlic curry and her pumpkin curry. This lady knows her vegetables.

I certainly appreciated the addition of Achela the trained masseuse who can provide the most wonderful massage. Well worth the $30USD for an hour or an hour and a half. If I could have packed him in my suitcase and taken him with me I would have.

I certainly appreciated the whole smiling happy Templeberg Staff who work together as a team and seem to also seen like one big family themselves. Working in pairs they seem to keep the villa humming.

I am thrilled that TripAdvisor has awarded Templeberg a Certificate of Excellence but hope that as others have said already it doesn't get too popular. I liked that there was a room waiting for me and fear I may have trouble getting in next year if work brings me back again.

This is a lovely family owned small villa, boutique bed and breakfast that is calm and restful.

I like that Karin, Chris and Brent are also part of the community. This stay I got to read the short excerpts produced from the Australian Writer they hosted as part of the month long Templeberg Writing Residency - a generous gesture. It was also World Turtle Day during my stay and in typical Karin and Brent's style they were busy getting involved in crowdfunding for the Kosgoda Sea Turtle Conservation Project. They appreciate what they have in Sri Lanka for sure.

The value for money was amazing and the shared experiences fantastic.

Tips from a repeat customer are to have a massage, take a walk around the local village and on Sunday go down to the temple market, grab some veggies and get in the kitchen with Trixie.

• Stayed: May 2014