“Amazing for cocktails”

Cuisines: Sri Lankan
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Best cocktails we had all honeymoon in one of the coolest venues. We felt like we'd stepped back into colonial 1920's being let through the little front gate.

Drinks are an absolute must if you're in Galle, based on how busy it was, we would also recommend booking early and going for dinner too.

1  Thank Olideacon

Reviewed 16 April 2014

small colonial style hotel and restaurant in good location over galle. cosy little bar for pre-dinner cocktails. food well cooked and presented. not cheap but worth a visit.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

I was staying at the Sun House over the Chinese New Year long weekend (review forthcoming on that) but I thought it would be good to write my impressions of the restaurant separately.

I ate dinner here the first night I arrived where they had fresh caught Mahi Mahi with Cajun spices with a Mango salsa and rice and vegetables. The food was FANTASTIC. Easily the best Mahi Mahi I have ever had; perfectly seasoned, perfectly cooked, moist and juicy inside. Perfection! The mango salsa was also fantastic as a side accompaniment. The vegetables were cooked perfectly as well (warm and buttery) and the rice was also great. I paid a special visit to the kitchen afterwards before turning in for the evening to tell the chef that was the best Mahi Mahi of my life. What a great plate of food.

Other meals I had in the restaurant were breakfast (also delicious) and lunch including Thai Green Curry Chicken (which was ok, I've had better) and pasta (very tasty and flavorful tomato sauce). The setting is great as you are set in this old colonial building; you feel as if you have traveled back in time. Pricing is also reasonable. Service is friendly but can be slow at times.

The only major complaint I have is this: bugs. Lots of them. Make sure you wear some mosquito and bug repellent otherwise you will get eaten alive. This isn't something that is unique to the Sun House because in all the places I visited around Galle and Sri Lanka, mosquito's seemed to be an issue so just ensure you come prepared. A few mozzie's isn't a reason to stay away from this place and their wonderful food though, you will not regret a meal here!

Reviewed 9 February 2014

We booked supper here on the recommendation of some friends and were not disappointed. The bar serves lovely cocktails. The tables are set out under the veranda overlooking the garden and pool. We returned a second time as the food was so good. Shame the hotel shop is not more well stocked.

1  Thank Australia1959
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Very good quality ingredients and preparation. Ask for more spice if you can handle it. Otherwise the chef accommodates foreign tastes by reducing the chillies.