“Recommended”

Ranked #8 of 131 Speciality Lodging in Galle
Sydney
“Recommended”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We had a lovely two-night stay at Fort De 19. The room is clean and comfortable with balcony to see the sunset. It also comes with adapter for you to charge your equipments which I know it's little detail but it does give an impression. The guesthouse also has wifi but we didn't use it as we wanted to 'switch off' during holiday. Theekshana and his family were ever so helpful. They just started the business and at the moment can only offer three rooms with the plan to build another three. So better call a bit in advance.

Room Tip: we love the room with balcony overlooking the fort
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I stayed in Fort de 19 for only one night at the end of my solo trip around Sri Lanka this Febraury.Si I make this review after staying in ten or more places in the country. I booked only a couple of days before, so I got the smallest room in the house. But the bed was new and very comfortable, linen of good quality, a good window, so good day light.
Theekshana the elder son in charge kept my luggage until the time of my departure and even lend me their own family bathroom to take a shower.. He also helped me with the buses schedules to Colombo, and as I was flighting at 4 am the next day, he also arranged for a taxi to pick me up at the bus station and drop me at the airport. I did this final trip at night, with all my luggage and alone, so due to his help I did it safely and calmly. He even called the taxi driver to check whether the plan worked. I also could hear his mother's expression of relief at the other end of the line.
Theekshana and his family worked with care and attention, giving a personalised service, without being pushing. Thank you very much! Fort de 19 is a very well located, clean, comfortable, quiet place from where to reach all fort area by foot.

A recommendation for the small room:I would change the door of the toilet , as it does not keep open by itself, the bathroom lack air and can be suffocating in Galle's heat.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We were the guests of Fort De 19 Villa. It left us a wonderful impression for their service and attitude. Since it was the first time we've been the fort . The hospitable master helped us a lot and gave us numorous imformation about the fort. Besides that, Their rooms are brand-new and with all the equipments.
If you are looking for a place to stay in fort, I highly recommand this villa. Not only because of the beautiful room and great location, but also the best service and the reasonable price.

Room Tip: all the room are clean and comfortable
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Family home,,, great location, clean,, cute room!! We came across it as we were looking ! Family makes yu feel yu are part of their home ! My hubby was not well and mum was very caring !! Thank yu ! Recommended to all experience .

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Clairemercuri
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 15 March 2014

We stayed in the last room available which was a bit small compared to the two other rooms, especially the toilet, but we did enjoy our stay with this family. The room was very clean with a high ceiling. The location is perfect just by the sea in the fort. Good for sunrise or sunset or watching local young people playing cricket. No breakfast or food were served but we had a nice breakfast in the neighboring hotel Seagreen. The young man Mr.Theekshana who is running this place was pleasant to talk with. He and his family offered us some good advice about the local snacks for sharing with colleagues. While waiting for our car to go to Colombo airport, we were offered fresh coconut juice. The hotel arranged the car for us which was very comfortable with nice English music of the old 60s-80s. The driver was quite professional and nice.

It is quite a small young hotel which just opened for a year, maybe not the best in town, but feels very cosy and homey. Great value for money!

Room Tip: If rates are the same, ask for a bigger room.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

I just called to make a reservation based on the 20% off rooms from March 1, 2014 to March 31, 2014 for direct bookings. I was quoted prices far higher than what is suggested on trip advisor and when I mentioned the 20% trip advisor special the owner/staff he laughed at me and said that is his rate (6,500lkr) and there are no discounts. When I probed again he didn't seem to know about any trip advisor special let alone the room advertised for only $44 after discount.
When I said , no thank you and he realised I was no longer interested he was quick to say he will give me the rooms for 6000lkr. This is definitely not 20% off 6500lkr.
I suggest if they are going to offer specials particularly for direct bookings they agree to honour that and not make their genuine enquiries/guests feel ridiculed and laugh at them! Highly disappointed as we really wanted to try this place.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Theeka, Owner at Fort De 19 Villa, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
First of all HONESTLY, i am too really disappointed & humbly apologize for what happened.It was truly a terrible mistake.

Normally as our property is a family running business, i am (Theekshana) the only one who handles each & every bookings,web sites/trip Advisor managements & all other administrative requirements.If i am not there to answer directly,i advised them to ask guests to send en e-mail if it is possible.

So as this is the end of our high season, from 1 st of March i had reduced room prices & i reduced further & given a special discount ONLY FOR TRIP ADVISOR USERS. But on that day only bad thing happened,i was not there in the city & couldn't make them aware about the special discount which i had given to trip advisor customers.
When i heard about the incident, i was so worried but i knew that was my mistake & only mine.

Another important reason was,lack of fluency of their English language & inexperience's. For this 1 year of our business we had given our best for our customers & all i needed their satisfaction. Our status on trip advisor reflects all our efforts.

I’m extremely sorry again & I know that might not be good enough right now & I’ve struggled to find the right words beyond I’m sorry for the disappointment i have created through our reckless conduct.
I truly wish i could have accommodated you & i would love to invite you to my villa again in your next visit to alter your aspects toward us.

yours Sincerely,
Theekshana.
newcastle, england
Reviewed 8 March 2014

We arrived hot and tired from the train journey from Colombo and were welcomed to this family run spotlessly clean bnb. It is right at the edge of the sea with a fantastic roof terrace. We discussed small improvements with the owners, such as having an illuminated sign outside and a small fridge in the room. But for cleanliness and location next to some lovely well priced restuarants within the Fort walls, it can't be beat. Our hosts even washed and dried our laundry before we moved on - all this for a little over £20 per night! No question I would stay again on a future visit to Galle Fort

Room Tip: One room is at the top of some very tight stairs which would not be ideal for visitors with mobility...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple