The Sun House
US$439
Amangalla(Galle)
US$715
SmithHotels.com
Rampart View Guest House(Galle)(Great Value!)
US$48
US$100
US$93
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsboutique hoteloutdoor bathtubsri lankasmall swimming poolchilli eggsgreat characterpeaceful havenboth breakfast and dinnersitting roomcurriescommon areascolonial charmgalle forta great place to staysun loungersdumassuite
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Having a travel itch that needed scratching, I set off for Sri Lanka and Galle for a long weekend over the Chinese New Year period. I picked The Sun House per a recommendation from a friend who has lived and traveled extensively in Sri Lanka.

Galle is one of those up and coming places that wound up on a couple of travel hot lists over the past few years that seems to have weathered the sands of time and the massive influx of tourists that can come and overwhelm a place (slightly more than a million tourists visit Sri Lanka annually from my understanding; a small number for a large and diverse country like Sri Lanka). That’s one of the positive things that Galle has going for it: it’s quite balanced in that it doesn’t have throngs of tourists yet still has an “off the beaten path” feel to it with adequate tourist infrastructure at the same time. It’s a charming place in all honesty. You don’t have massive chain hotel resorts (sans a handful in the area), so boutique B&B type of places or renting a villa is the way to go.

The Sun House –and its sister property the Dutch House- sit up on a hill a short 3 or 4 minute tuk tuk ride from Galle Fort. Due to its location, it is possible to get a good view of parts of Galle from the side gardens of the Sun House given its vantage point.

Upon arrival, checking in was super quick and efficient (pretty much “here’s your room key” and off you go). I was given the parrot fish room which was on the first floor, with the main door off the main courtyard. As I booked the place sort of last minute, this was all they had available due to a wedding that was being held at the Dutch House next door. The room was nicely done up in a colonial style and very clean. Bathroom was large and spacious as well, with a modern/colonial vibe going on.

Cleanliness was not a problem as I found the room very clean and also well appointed for the setting. Since I got the last room, I was stuck with two twin beds which didn’t bother me and I surprisingly got a good night’s sleep both nights I was there. Mosquito nets are provided and I HIGHLY recommend them when sleeping. One of the drawbacks about The Sun House and the property is that it can get buggy; insect repellent and/or long sleeve clothing is recommended out of your room. An electronic mosquito repelling machine is also provided in the room which I suggest running. I fortunately didn’t have too much problem with mozzie’s in the room; but I found them coming in through a vent in the bathroom so I kept the door to the toilet shut as much as possible. Also sitting at the restaurant was another area that I found to be buggy (see my other review on the restaurant and the good food this place has).

The grounds of the property are quite lovely: they whisk you back to an era in Galle’s history that’s rich in stories and architecture. You can easily pass the time relaxing by the pool (a small plunge pool really) or sitting in the library reading a classic book.

The service at the Sun House is great; they know you by name pretty quickly and can arrange anything for you and are quite pleasant. I had no agenda whatsoever when I got to Galle and planned all my journeys to the coast, tea plantation and whale watching from the front desk. They have a guide book with recommendations on food, shopping and tours that are placed within the room that helps for quick and efficient planning. And for airport transfers, easiest thing to do is to book it through the Sun House – it’s roughly the same price if you tried to book it on your own and they take all the hassle out of setting it up. I actually had the same driver for the entire time I was there (tours, airport transfers, etc.) and he was fantastic.

There are a few drawbacks about the place besides the bugs and mosquitoes. It can get quite loud in the evenings depending on the room you have: I was near the kitchen and could hear them at night although I was so exhausted it didn’t bother me. There also wasn’t a real “safe box” in room; there was a cabinet door with a key that locked but I didn’t feel that was safe to leave my passport or ipad in. There is a safety deposit box in the front office as an alternative from my understanding.

If you are looking for something boutique in Galle, then look no further than The Sun House. Just bring some mozzie repellent!

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the second floor of the house.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank SQ452
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We just enjoyed four nights at the Sun House, just minutes up the hill from the town of Galle. Accommodation lovely, colonial bungalow with charming surrounds, calm and very well run by the most accommodating staff. We ate three breakfasts, a lunch and a two dinners, all excellent. Attended a wedding reception at sister guesthouse The Dutch House just across the road, what a privilege to attend such a beautifully organised and superb wedding, staff from both guest houses combined to create a magical occasion,memorable! We would highly recommend The Sun House and the beautiful Dutch House.

Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

Last hotel on our independent trip around Sri Lanka and the room and hotel were stunning! Only disappointment was the choice for vegetarian at dinner (don't think there was one on the menu). When I asked I was told they would do something special and ended up with was basically the lunch option I'd not wanted with some vegetables that were served with my partners dish. They big up the restaurant as being one of the best so this was a bit of a let down.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 19 January 2014

From the moment we walked through the door, we were spellbound. A magical aura of peace. Total enchantment in a world frozen in time. Our room was wonderful. The food…amazing. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Sun House gets the highest marks of our two week Sri Lanka trip for elegant presentation. It was a memorable stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nini822
Reviewed 17 January 2014

This was a real luxury however the staff were amazing. I asked for an early check in and was at the hotel for 8am, this was no problem. I wanted a late check out and left at 4pm, again this was not a problem. The hotel was secluded, quiet and very relaxing.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo