“Truly tranquil spot 5minutes from town.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Dutch House

The Dutch House
Ranked #40 of 60 Hotels in Galle
Pulborough
“Truly tranquil spot 5minutes from town.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

We had the blue suite, very comfortable and clean with a free-standing bath , separate shower, and a reading room. Bedroom is air-conditioned and opens directly on to the veranda. Lovely croquet lawn and swimming pool. We thought the Dutch house to be best suited to the more mature guest whereas its partner property(opposite) might be the preferance of younger travellers.Breakfast is served here, whilst for lunch and dinner you cross the road to the Sun House.

Room Tip: The blue room is highly recommended.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2012

Like others on this site, we were lucky enough to be asked to move from our original booking for the Sun House. It is indeed probably the most beautiful place I have ever stayed. We were the only people staying - sad for them but lovely for us. Good service, the grounds are attractive but the highlight was definitely the former ballroom we stayed in. We had dinner at the Sun House and met Henri. It was nice but we felt very lucky to have stayed at Doornberg/the Dutch House.

Room Tip: Get the ballroom if you can!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Saltash, Cornwall. UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

For those who insist 5 Star and all that goes with it, perhaps this little jewel is not for you. If, however you want a bit of style in great surroundings do give it a try because in many ways it is 5 star. You are living in a bit of history and the door to the outside may have a small gap caused by the curing over time but that is part of the magic. If the door handle going into the huge bathroom slips off the spline just accept that it has been opened and closed for around 200 years and live with it. We were there for the Test match and were pleased to be out of the chaos down the hill. A great stay and recommended to anyone just wanting to relax.

Room Tip: We had the Blue Room. I believe this is on a par with the Ball room
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

We read the reviews online and saw the amazing pictures on their website before we booked the Ball Room at the Dutch House. It was a lovely house, and I could hang out in the courtyard all day long.

The ball room itself was a lovely room. Very high ceilings and nice decoration. All was great until we went to the bathroom. There were thousands of ants in the bathroom. I did try my best to live with it (as the manager Henri said, "hey, this is sri lanka. there's ants everywhere") until the next morning, I found a few ants' dead body in my water (and I did drink that water at night with the lights off) and a few ants in my towel. Then we asked them to spray the room twice a day but that didn't really solve the problem. And during my stay in this hotel, I was almost convinced that EVERY hotel in sri lanka has ants in their bathroom, until we got to the hotel in colombo, which was an old colonial house as well, but had ZERO ants. And there is always stuff falling off the ceiling of the bathroom, so the towel would get very dusty by the time when you get back to the hotel in the evening.

The room rate was 405 per night (including tax and service charge) and with that kind of price, one would expect Le Bristol Paris sort of service. But considering what they charge, they service was appalling, which I don't blame on the staff as you can tell they haven't received much training , and that they are not particularly motivated (Henri told us not to tip anyone as she thinks it's easier that way). Don't get me wrong, we think the manager is a very friendly lady, and she has been helpful to us, but it doesn't feel like the hotel is managed properly. On our last day there, the air conditioning started to leak water, and we had to walk through a fountain before we could enter the bathroom and this lasted for about 1hr before they sent someone over to fix it.

We had dinner in the restaurant at the Sun House. Overpriced and very average food. We were expecting some amazing Sri Lanka + western fusion food (as described by lots of reviews), and we got some chinese eggplant (which tastes like takeaway food in London). We told them many times my husband was vegetarian, and the manager said that shouldnt be a problem. But they still served squid to him as starter. After we complained, he got some green leaves with some balsamic vinegar on top (and a few ants on the leaves). The ambiance was great though...Also the sri lank breakfast from the hotel is worth trying.

I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank lxdaisy
London, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

Stayed at the Dutch House for just one night. Room was lovely. Met Henri the posh english manageress woman who was very nice. The local staff were a bit more hyper-subservient than I personally like, and it just sort of seemed a bit empty somehow. Quiet is good obviously, but somehow I felt there could have been a bit more of a buzz about the place.

Inifinity pool is very nice.

Basically, solid thumbs-up. We stayed at the Secret Garden in Unawatuna for three night nights after this though, which was less than half the price, and not much less pleasant. I guess that's just the law of diminishing returns when it comes to smart hotels.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank additasum
Hong Kong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2012

We can not fault the beautiful old house and grounds but the service or lack of from the manager, Henri, was irritating. The staff were friendly and tried to be as helpful as possible but they did not seem to have had much training. We agree totally with one of the previous reviews that the two properties, the Sun House and Dutch House, were the private entertainment area of the manager. On one of the nights, there was a 'charity party' with loud music which Henri said would end at 11pm. The music did not stop until well past 1am as well as all the noise that all of the non-staying guests were making as they were drinking and smoking on the lawn. Although this was not my idea was a boutique hotel experience, it was not a big problem. However, we did expect at least some attempt at an apology from Henri the next morning but of course, there was none. We've seen other old properties inside the Galle Fort that may not be as fancy but perhaps would have more heart and soul.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ladybug789
Glasgow Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2011

My wife and I had originally booked into the sister hotel of the Dutch House ( The Sun House) but when the management offered to show us round the Dutch house we were bowled over.
One big plus was that for most of our 9 night stay we had the whole place (and staff) to ourselves.
We live in an old property in the UK and sometimes find that hotel rooms can be a bit small in comparison to what we are used to - No problem of this nature with our suite in the Dutch House.
We had what used to be the "ballroom" of the house. High ceiling and a great feeling of space.
Management and Staff could not have been better throughout our stay.
If it helps we saw round all the 4 suites as the House was empty and this was our preferred option.
Breakfast was great "chilli eggs a must try" - Dinner was offered at the Sun House across the road and again was of a high standard. We did venture out in the evenings however and there are a few good hotel restaurants in the Fort.
If I were to be honest I might have a concern if all the suites were occupied. It might just change the great ambience my wife and I were fortunate to have experienced during our visit.
I can safely say however that im sure we will return to The Dutch House at some point.

Room Tip: The Ballroom is the best in my opinion
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple