“Very Disappointing” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 60 Hotels in Galle
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
“Very Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2014

I booked this hotel as the highlight of my trip to Sri Lanka. It is a historic hotel at a world heritage site.
The building and rooms were as expected, situated around an internal courtyard. The were very characterful and comfortable.

What lets this hotel down dramatically was the standard of food. It seems to me that they cater for lunchtime diners and not for their staying guests. The breakfasts were mediocre to say the least. No fruit juice, a pile of fresh fruit just heaped in a bowl. The first morning my main course (pancakes) were just dumped on the table at the same time. The next morning I chose Sri Lankan omelette. A roadside cafe could have done better. One set of knives and forks were provided to eat fruit, eggs and toast.

Dinner was as bad. There was only 1 first course, 1 main course and ice cream for dessert. I only ate there the night of arrival, and they did not have a table for me. The waiters split a circular table in the sitting area and I had a semi circular affair. In my experience 3,000rupees is overpriced for the quality of dinners.

The waiters and service staff were very good, friendly and trying their best, but there was no management, or front of house. They obviously had had no training and there was no restaurant manager, as befits a hotel of this calibre. The waiters are muddling through and running the hotel alone it seems, as the manager was non-existent .

The general manager totally ignored me even though I stayed for 3 days and as a single middle aged female I would have expected an acknowledgement. The only time he spoke to me was when I was paying my bill on departure. Throughout my stay he never spoke to me. I did inform him of my displeasure at that.

I have been told that this hotel has been bought by a large paint and pharmaceutical company and has gone downhill ever since. In fact it was half empty when I stayed even though is is peak season. It is not surprising in view of my findings above.

what a disappointing and expensive stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Maura20

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Arabic first
Dent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

We stayed at the hotel for a couple of nights last week. It has to be said that the location is great, the building is a beautiful and it was generally a really nice stay. We loved the design and the veranda living, so reminiscent of collonial living.

The only reason that I haven't given this 5 stars is that basically, I can't remember a single meal that we ate at the hotel. We had breakfast twice and dinner once and it felt fairly unmemorable. Whilst this isn't a major issue, given the prices charged, I would have expected a little more.

That said, still a 4 star review for a really nice hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

I was traveling to Colombo alone for work and wanted to see something more of Sri Lanka the weekend before my meetings. A friend suggested Galle and I began my hunt on Trip Advisor. After reading reviews I rang up Galle Fort Hotel. Their manager, an incredibly knowledgeable with a locals insight gave me loads of advice of what to see and do on my weekend.

I could not have been more pleased with my weekend in Galle, and much of this was due to his hotel and great recommendations. Each one spot on.

Galle Fort itself is truly a special find, with this hotel right in the middle of the unesco Fort. Incredible atmosphere. A weekend in 1800 colonial sri lanka, with all the modern conveniences. And an excellent breakfast get your day started right.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

Firstly I would like to say that the Galle Fort Hotel is beautifully decorated and the rooms are very comfortable and spacious. The pool and communal areas are equally as attractive and the hotel itself is situated at the heart of old Fort.

However the service at the hotel was generally disappointing and the food excluding the breakfast was also very underwhelming. I stayed at much cheaper accommodation in Sri Lanka during my trip and have to say they surpassed the Galle Fort in both these areas.

When charging the prices they do at this hotel they really need to tweak their delivery and not rely purely on the beauty of the building.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at the Galle Fort Hotel this past weekend. It was a one of the best boutique hotels we had the pleasure to experience. Everything from the loft suite to the staff and the GM were top notch. The food, the best we had in Sri Lanka! Location....can't beat. We can't wait to return some day.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

From the moment you arrive to this hotel you feel special and like you have travelled back in time. You enter beauty and you get to surround yourself with this beauty during your whole stay. We stayed two nights and had an absolutely amazing stay. The hotel is just stunning and also very relaxing.
The room we had was beautiful; the house that the room was in was beautiful. The staff was really friendly and helpful. From the time we check into the hotel till we check out they always tried to make our stay as comfortable as possible, and made us feel at home. The food was really good as well and eating at such incredible setting made it taste even better.
We highly recommend this place. We definitely wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

This is the hotel to splash out on. It is elegant, friendly, personal but unobtrusive. The rooms are beautifully appointed and it's very convenient for browsing Galle town. The manager, Oliver, is charming and solicitous, keen to help and rightly proud of his hotel. There's a lovely pool and courtyard where you feel you can leave your cares behind. After a busy hot and humid week up country this was a real haven for us. There was a limited range of food when we stayed, which surprising, but what we had was very good - and there are several restaurants nearby if that's your preference.

Room Tip: There is only a small number of rooms and I think any one would be just fine.