Amangalla
Priceline
US$173
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
All reviewshigh teaaman hotelcorner suitebutler servicesteam roomgalle fortpersonal butlersri lankaold dutch churchtop floorhistoric hotellike stepping back in timean oasis of calmcolonial feelcolonial styleold worldno elevator
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I first stayed at Amangalla a year ago and found it to be one of the best hotel experiences I have ever had. This year I returned here as part of my extended travels around Sri Lanka. My experience here was very different. Upon arrival I received no greeting, I wandered into reception and waited for some attention. When I was seen to, I waited longer for the GM who spent a few minutes chatting with me on the way up to my room before disappearing for the next 2 days. My Suite on the top floor was superb, large and immaculately looked after, Housekeeping here is top notch. The problem with Amangalla I feel, lies a little deeper. There seems to be disconnect and confusion amongst the staff. I had a bad experience at dinner my first night. I was unhappy with a table designated to me (?) and was refused the chance to sit elsewhere, even though the restaurant was empty. I had to threaten to leave and eat elsewhere before I was allocated a table which I preferred. I was a paying guest and should have been able to sit where I liked.
Amangalla is open to all tourists and I believe this can be a big problem here. I know this hotel is a historical highlight of Galle, and I understand it being open to others at certain times, but sometimes the dining area, lounge and terrace feel overrun and that is when, as a paying guest, you don't get treated as such. During my first 2 days here there were many occasions where I was not greeted by the staff, if they saw me, they could not raise a smile, let alone a "Hello Sir, how are you today?" This is not how staff at Aman properties should act. My butler, who did all he could to assist me, ended up disappearing for a couple of days. Over the next 2 days, 2 different butlers came to my door. I was confused about who was supposed to looking after me. Last year, I had exceptional, constant butler service from a sole butler (Nalin), now, sadly, not available it would seem. Service did improve as my stay progressed, as did the friendliness of some staff members. Food here is also well below par. Apart from reasonably good breakfasts, the dinner offerings were very ordinary and not very well executed. I had many far superior meals at restaurants in the Fort area. This is not good for an Aman property, even their famous Curry & Rice was substandard this time. The Chicken Curry was so dry it was inedible. When you consider the level Amangalla is pitched at, it just doesn't cut it at the moment. I never question the $$$ spent at Aman's because they are so superb the high prices are justified. This was the first time I really had to question it. To round it all off, and to leave on a bad note, once I had paid the bill, the management was nowhere to be seen. I left the property with a confused bellman, and presto, my original butler reappeared, and they saw me to my car. At Amanwella (and all other Aman's) The GM and most of the staff that I dealt with waved me off, as is customary at all Aman stays. Not here. Slack, slack, slack. I felt cheated. I still rate Amangalla highly for many reasons. It is a beautiful hotel, but the game needs to be lifted here. I left with much disappointment.

Room Tip: Suites in Church Street Wing are beautiful but be prepared for traffic noise in the mornings
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank bluebotty
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We had a very nice cocktail and dinner experience on the terrace of this beautiful restaurated building well located in Galle. The whole place inspires calm and serenity, you cannot get stressed there...Service and Food were exquisit.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 February 2014

The amangalle is a gem located in the fort of the beautiful town of Galle. The hotel is full of charm, respecting the colonial style with taste and luxury. The rooms are spacious and well decorated, every detail is studied to make it perfect.

The service is just amazing: attentive, friendly and very professional. Our butler Charit was here for any need we may have and really made our stay unique.

The tea time during sunset on the last floor of the hotel is a must do: tastful tea, scones, fresh marmelade... un regal!
The SPA is also a magis moment and one of the best massage we had.

Our only regret is not to have stayed longer. We will surely come back!

Room Tip: Our garden room was just lovely!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Seb_Cha_2013
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We booked this hotel for supper one evening on the recommendation of some friends. We were given a great welcome and the staff were very friendly. The cocktails were lovely and the food wonderful. We chose the local Sri Lankan curry set meal and it was superb. So lovely to try lots of different things that you would not normally order. The hotel was very clean and looks like an old English gentleman's club inside.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 February 2014

A beautiful little boutique hotel situated in the centre of Galle Fort, probably the smallest Aman we've stayed in. The building itself is beautiful and full of colonial characters. The room was elegantly decorated with fan, olive green shutter and four posted bed. Upon arrival we were assigned with a butler who, other than saying hello to us every morning, didn't really serve any real purpose. The service was reasonable and friendly and the manager was helpful. The food was good (certainly much better than the other Aman in Tangalle) but the selection was limited. We ate out most of the time at hotels/restaurants nearby. The small town was charming with lots of little shops to visit. The pool was also very beautifully set up, tranquil and elegant.

The one small complaint was that the room we were in (for both times) was right next to the side road on the ground floor and next to the service room. Every morning when the service started, the chamber maids would be getting in and out of that room which would make a lot of noise. The wooden floor certainly didn't help either. So for USD700 a night, we should perhaps have asked to change the room.

Room Tip: Avoid room 16.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple