Amangalla
Deco On 44(Galle)
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
  • Pool
All reviewshigh teaaman hotelcorner suitebutler servicesteam roomgalle fortpersonal butlersri lankaold dutch churchtop floorhistoric hotellike stepping back in timean oasis of calmcolonial feelcolonial styleold worldno elevator
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Wonderful ! the Aman group did really refurbish the place in an excellent way maintaining the authenticity of the place . Choose Amangalla due to its historic atmosphere. Our room was spacious and beautifully and antiquely furnished; it had big windows looking over the main street and historic part of Galle. A big swimming pool was very relaxing and refreshing after a long walk in the Galle fort area. An elegant hotel with every facility you could wish for. Great location for touring and watching cricket (if you're lucky with timing). No televisions in sight (but one could be found in a hidden location) and an interesting library well worth browsing. The staff could not have been more helpful providing faultless service at every turn.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank RobFerguson
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We have traveled the world for over 30 years and are fortunate to be able to stay in wonderful hotels.We had great expectations of this Aman property in Galle and these are being surpassed in so many ways.Understated and appropriately furnished colonial style hotel inside the Fort.A beautiful and large suite,comfortably furnished and with first class linens and amenities.Superbly attentive staff who seek to please and discretely anticipate/ensure all one's needs are met.Our own butler, in addition to making all arrangements at the hotel ,came with us shopping,on walking tours ,to a cooking class and when needed,went into town to get us some toiletries!The hotel restaurant serves excellent Western and Sri Lankan food.Outside,a large,pristine outdoor pool with comfortable cabanas and a spa offering the full range of treatment and services.Guests all seem to be appropriate and low key,we didn't see a single chav (royalty or denizens) during our 4 day stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed just one night at this wonderful hotel. The check-in for the suite was not at the reception, but in the suite by itself. On the table was a candle to light and a letter written by Hand! We had our own "butler" and he took care of everything. The suite is just amazing, very big and comfortable. We had a little lunch at the pool, just great. The dinner at the restaurant - inside or outside on the Veranda was delicious and so was the breakfast! We do recommend this hotel! You feel, like your are a very important guest and they do everything they can to make you feel comfortable!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank swiss17
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I first stayed at Amangalla a year ago and found it to be one of the best hotel experiences I have ever had. This year I returned here as part of my extended travels around Sri Lanka. My experience here was very different. Upon arrival I received no greeting, I wandered into reception and waited for some attention. When I was seen to, I waited longer for the GM who spent a few minutes chatting with me on the way up to my room before disappearing for the next 2 days. My Suite on the top floor was superb, large and immaculately looked after, Housekeeping here is top notch. The problem with Amangalla I feel, lies a little deeper. There seems to be disconnect and confusion amongst the staff. I had a bad experience at dinner my first night. I was unhappy with a table designated to me (?) and was refused the chance to sit elsewhere, even though the restaurant was empty. I had to threaten to leave and eat elsewhere before I was allocated a table which I preferred. I was a paying guest and should have been able to sit where I liked.
Amangalla is open to all tourists and I believe this can be a big problem here. I know this hotel is a historical highlight of Galle, and I understand it being open to others at certain times, but sometimes the dining area, lounge and terrace feel overrun and that is when, as a paying guest, you don't get treated as such. During my first 2 days here there were many occasions where I was not greeted by the staff, if they saw me, they could not raise a smile, let alone a "Hello Sir, how are you today?" This is not how staff at Aman properties should act. My butler, who did all he could to assist me, ended up disappearing for a couple of days. Over the next 2 days, 2 different butlers came to my door. I was confused about who was supposed to looking after me. Last year, I had exceptional, constant butler service from a sole butler (Nalin), now, sadly, not available it would seem. Service did improve as my stay progressed, as did the friendliness of some staff members. Food here is also well below par. Apart from reasonably good breakfasts, the dinner offerings were very ordinary and not very well executed. I had many far superior meals at restaurants in the Fort area. This is not good for an Aman property, even their famous Curry & Rice was substandard this time. The Chicken Curry was so dry it was inedible. When you consider the level Amangalla is pitched at, it just doesn't cut it at the moment. I never question the $$$ spent at Aman's because they are so superb the high prices are justified. This was the first time I really had to question it. To round it all off, and to leave on a bad note, once I had paid the bill, the management was nowhere to be seen. I left the property with a confused bellman, and presto, my original butler reappeared, and they saw me to my car. At Amanwella (and all other Aman's) The GM and most of the staff that I dealt with waved me off, as is customary at all Aman stays. Not here. Slack, slack, slack. I felt cheated. I still rate Amangalla highly for many reasons. It is a beautiful hotel, but the game needs to be lifted here. I left with much disappointment.

Room Tip: Suites in Church Street Wing are beautiful but be prepared for traffic noise in the mornings
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank bluebotty
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We had a very nice cocktail and dinner experience on the terrace of this beautiful restaurated building well located in Galle. The whole place inspires calm and serenity, you cannot get stressed there...Service and Food were exquisit.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends