“A bit pretentious but rightly so!”
Review of Amangalla

Amangalla
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Galle
Malibu, California
“A bit pretentious but rightly so!”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We arrived at the hotel feeling dusty and tired but were welcomed with a mixture of smiles and formality. We were impressed with the grandeur, class and charm of the property, and the staff are obviously very proud of their hotel! We were first shown around the property moving from the lush outdoor grounds and beautiful pool area, to the library, spa, and even viewed the perfect spot to enjoy a sunset in the upstairs bar. When our duomo opened the door to our room by saying, "you've booked our standard room" I had to smile. It was absolutely beautiful....gorgeous antique plank floors, 4 poster bed and the bathroom...wow! Having a luxurious tub centered in the room made me immediately want to jump in! It was one of those rooms where you never cared to leave.

The first evening we enjoyed dinner on the hotel's front entry porch; with candlelight and slow moving ceiling fans it felt as if we were in an old southern plantation. Being in Sri Lanka we were drawn toward the local cuisine and the curry was fantastic. Another day we enjoyed afternoon cocktails on the upstairs veranda overlooking Galle, watching the sunset....I must admit the sunsets were rather dull due possibly to air quality but it still felt exotic and romantic.

Our first morning breakfast was a bit of a fiasco as no one seemed to want to take our order, much less serve us. It was early morning and only a few tables were taken so after 15 minutes of sitting I asked for the manager, who was actually away during our stay, but the hotel's acting manageress quickly acknowledged our concerns and we were immediately assigned a waiter. It seemed we seated ourselves at a table between the waiter's stations so no one knew who to serve us? The Sri Lankan hoppers and fresh coffee soon brighten our moods though.

We spent one afternoon poolside and the staff were quick to offer towels and drinks. The massage here was the best I had in Sri Lanka so kudos to the spa staff. My husband celebrated his birthday here and the staff woke us with a gorgeous chocolate cake and gift. Even at breakfast the staff wished him a happy birthday which was such a nice touch. It was difficult to say goodbye to such fantastic hospitality and charm. Writing about the hotel now just reaffirms my belief that we will be back. Amangalle and Galle are amongst the most beautiful spots in Sri Lanka.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank theWanderingPetal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Karachi, Pakistan
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Decided to have dinner at Amangalla on the 28 th of May 2014. Am familiar with the property as I have been going to the Fort in Galle since I have been a child. Undoubtedly, since the Aman group have refurbished the property it really is something which has retained the old world charm.
The high ceilings with fans circling lazily, glistening brass, wood and cane furniture, bunches of coconuts and pineapples to replace flowers and a smiling staff made me feel very welcome.
We had a table of four. Sadly, the dinner was disappointing. The fish was hard and a tiny quantity the pumpkin soup was good. The beet root and feta salad could have been excellent had the feta been less salty and softer. The Sri Lankan rice and curry had a good variety but grave was lacking so the rice was dry. The desserts were ok. Wattalapam should be more wobbly and have a slight syrup. Found the bill pricey considering both main courses were shared.
Hope the next time we go which will be in the near future, the chef will pay attention to what I have said.

Room Tip: Did not stay over so cannot comment.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Saberatapal
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Stayed only a night, but it was great. The hotel is situated in-between the fort walls in the great Dutch fort with a great historical ambiance. The food is great and the untouched historical beauty of the hotel is so great. The old style renovated rooms are great plus, the large pool in the backyard.
I personally had a SPA treatment and most of all they have an on call barber.
Overall it’s a great place to stay in the world heritage site of Galle Fort.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Steve C
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Spent a couple of nights here.
Possibly the best hotel in Sri Lanka ?
Really could find no fault whatsoever.
Charming staff from the manager to the guy carrying our luggage and all between.
Stunning room.
Beautiful pool area.
My wife reckoned the massage she had was the best ever.
Great food.
Room rate expensive but worth every penny and meals and drinks very reasonably priced.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Dix25
Huntington
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

I am very fortunate that I have been able to visit many countries in Asia as my fiancé has frequent business in Hong Kong. This trip we decided on Sri Lanka for 7 days and then on to Maldives. Our first leg of the trip was in the south, and we chose Amangalla as it was highly recommended by American Express and we have enjoyed our stay in Aman resorts in the past.
We arrived at a highly inconvenient time-2AM!
Yet we still received a full, royal, Aman welcome by the staff with cool towels, cold drinks, even the chef was on hand to ask if we would like him to prepare us anything to eat!
The suite was spacious, elegant, and had everything we needed and more. The next morning we had a delicious breakfast and were off to explore. The area is quite rich in history and Sri Lankan Culture. One day we spent relaxing poolside and enjoyed a prawn and avocado salad with Mojitos. There is an elegant library with a staggering number of books about Sri Lanka and games as well! Pietro, the General Manager, even coached me on my all but forgotten Backgammon gaming skills against my fiancé! Although we only spent 3 days there before moving on to Columbo, The Amangalla was by far my favorite resort of the entire trip ( and I was in the Taj at Columbo and Shangri- La in Maldives!)
Words simply cannot express what a wonderful experience it was- the staff anticipates your every need to the smallest detail! Every meal at the hotel was superb and the service phenomenal!
Pietro offered wonderful recommendations for sight-seeing and made sure our stay was memorable.
I have wanted to visit Sri Lanka for years, and I am so glad I started the trip at the Amangalla!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Krista W
Atlanta
Reviewed 29 April 2014

All my experiences with Aman have been very good, but this historical property located in the middle of the UNESCO World Heritage Site in the Dutch Fort area of Galle is special: Rooms, pool, location, food, service all excellent.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jim M
Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I spend one night, two days at this hotel, a UNESCO protected building plush with history. Yes it is expensive but then again it is the Aman hotel and resort that runs it.. so you know you will get luxury and a particular attention to every detail. Details? Like books about Galle in your room, also in your room: mosquito repellant, candles and matches, fruits, lots of water bottles and packed fridge with nice drinks and snacks. The mix of antiques and modern features takes you back in time and gives you a very colonial feel. I had all my meals there and loved eating on the terrace. The menu excellent and the taste on practically everything was appealing. The manager personally greets you when you arrive, takes you on a wonderful tour of the place sharing its illustrious history and sees you off when you leave. Gifts upon departure were unexpected and so nice. As we had a late flight out of Colombo, we were allowed to stay in the room all the way to 4pm (as it was not booked after us)! Pool and spa area so quiet, elegant, and can accommodate lunch by the pool. We had the Chambre which was beautiful with high ceilings with a terrace overlooking the pool/garden but next time taking the suite with a view of the street as it is on the second floor. All in all, this hotel takes you back in time and surrounds you with warmth, elegance, charm, hospitality, history and luxury. Worth every penny. Recommend it wholeheatedly. Splurge as this one is worth it.

Room Tip: Go with the Chambre or Suite.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Todovika
Also consider these accommodations in or near Galle
Galle Fort Hotel
#1 of 12 in Weligama
CoCo Bay Unawatuna
CoCo Bay Unawatuna
#2 of 31 in Unawatuna

Been to Amangalla? Share your experiences!