“A stimulating and interesting tour of the Fort”
Review of Galle Fort Walks

Galle Fort Walks
Ranked #4 of 53 Tours in Galle
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Galle Fort is a visual metaphor for Sri Lankan history. Ancient Sri Lankan culture collides with colonial architecture in ways that can only be described as mystical. It is why this UNESCO World Heritage Site is a favourite among tourists coming to Sri Lanka, today and in days past. This magic and mystery is what Galle means to me. I am Shanjei, a former advertising executive from Colombo. A year ago, I quit my job because a)I was intrigued by this magic and mystery Galle Fort had to offer, and b)because I didn’t want to be confined to the concrete jungle of Colombo. Being the kind of inquisitive person that I am, I chased this mystique obsessively – so much so that I decided to become a Tour Guide to the fort for people like you. Yes, you. If you like your tours to be interactive, fun and decidedly less history and more story then I am the person you are looking for. Want to learn more about the little nooks and crannies that make Galle Fort less a fort and more a home for its many residents? What about the many cultures that mingle seamlessly within the fort’s confines? Its people? Then get in touch. Let me help you decode the magic and the mystery of Galle Fort.
Reviewed 8 December 2017 via mobile

Shanjei is great company, with a large and detailed knowledge of the Fort and its place in Galle’s and Sri Lanka’s cultural history. He kept us entertained for several hours and then accompanied us to a very fine dinner at a local home.

Shanjei, Owner at Galle Fort Walks, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2017

Thank you Susan and Norman for the review. Hoping to share more Sri Lankan culinary goodness with you. See you in Lanka again.

All reviews
"historical knowledge"
"various parts"
"great morning"
in 2 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
"guide book"
"a lot of fun"

Reviewed 5 December 2017 via mobile

My wife and I had a lovely morning with Shanjey wandering the fort and streets in Galle.
Galle Fort is peaceful and pretty but without some local knowledge it lacks depth.
Shanjey is knowledgeable about the fort and Sri Lankan history. He is open minded about Sri Lanka’s past and passionate about its future.
His tour is informative and you can tell it’s adaptable to suit the client.
Give it a go and ask Shanjey about his local watering hole for a beer when you’re done.

Thanks Shanjey for the tour, the chat and arranging our transport the next day. You’re a champ.

Shanjei, Owner at Galle Fort Walks, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2017

An excellent morning it was Cam. My regards to Kym and do enjoy Tallalla. Should you need anything southern while you are here just throw me a message.

Thanks for the amazing review. Do come to Galle again. Next time I'll show you more dodgy bars.

Reviewed 18 November 2017

if youre looking for a guide with a quirky and cheeky sense of humour, Shanjei is the perfect guide. Shanjei is a well-spoken and interactive guide with an extensive knowledge and passion for his profession. He finished the tour with a chilled out session at his favourite haunt which was the perfect end to a lovely walk. Would definitely recommend!

Shanjei, Owner at Galle Fort Walks, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2017

Thank you Radhika.

See you in Lanka soon

Reviewed 14 November 2017

This was an unusual walking tour of Galle! It helped us see Galle fort in a completely different light, and what better way to do that than through a chilled out walk with Shanjei's interesting take on things! We did the sundowner walk which ended with a glass of the most delicious iced tea at a super charming hidden villa in Galle Fort!

Shanjei, Owner at Galle Fort Walks, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2017

Thanks Bhavna for the review. Glad you found my take on things interesting.

Thank the two ladies who serenaded us playing the Piano while we had tea. It definitely made the evening delightful.

See you in Lanka again.

See more reviews
Reviewed 14 November 2017 via mobile

Honestly when I think of the Galle fort as a Kid the only thing I knew of was the dungeon/burrial chambers at the Dutch Reformed Church because I was taken there by my father years ago and I was intrigued by the architecture of that massive structure... It was later many many years after the war and proper highway access to Galle that it started becoming more Like a weekend trip..But about the fort and it's significance I knew barely nothing.... I've known Shanjei for quite sometime almost a Decade but a side to him i witnessed at the fort was very different. Yes I know he's a History and Archeology fan but what he does in there is preserve a Story and an experience, I'm sorry to which is not going to be there in another one and a half generations.

It's a Must take if you're especially not Sri Lankan .And if you're a Patriotic one give it a Shot and see if your Patriotic juices can digest it quite right there.

PS: if you have kids they're are gonna Love the .... Go ask him yourself :)

Thanks Shantha for the review.
See you down south more often.