“very good every time!!!”

Golden Star Beach Hotel
Ranked #36 of 43 Hotels in Negombo
Putten, The Netherlands
“very good every time!!!”
Reviewed 5 March 2013

its nice to be in golden star every time...nice people, nice beach, good security on the beach, good service.....we are here for the 8th time in sri lanka and we always come back to golden star....reasonable rate with reasonable facilities...good food and can be recommanded....

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 4 March 2013

We had two rooms booked by an agent to stay overnight after arrival at the airport before starting a tour of Sri Lanka. We were not really happy with the hotel but we did not have to stay there more than the night. After settling down in the rooms it turned out that the water did not work in one of rooms. No shower water. So one couple had to pack its stuff again and move to another room. We got the impression that the room had not been used for quite a time and nobody had checked whether everything worked there properly. We understand that the rooms for customers staying with travel agencies for a week or two will get the better rooms but one can expect that the basic functions of the rooms are checked before handing out the keys. Buffet food was only luke warm in the evening, but ok.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Franz47
goldenst, Owner at Golden Star Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 7 March 2013
We have noted the comments of the clients, Will definitely check all the rooms before handing over to the clients.

We admit the lack of supervision in the house keeping department will take necessary steps to upgrade the facilities

We appreciate the comments given by the clients for our own improvements.

Travellers are raving about these Negombo hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2013

Let me start by saying that I've been to 75 countries and I've stayed in really bad hotels and really good ones, and this one falls into the bad category, especially for the price they're charging.
I stayed here about 15mths ago with an Intrepid trip and remember the rooms being quite nice. But they obviously give the good rooms to the tours, because the room we got was shocking. It was facing the vacant lot next door, which meant our balcony was a complete waste. The room was hot and the AC made very little difference and within the first 5 minutes we probably killed about mosquitoes.
We were trying to figure out a way to jimmy something to the socket where you have to put your key to turn the electrics on when it fell off the wall. We went to reception to complain and they said they would fix it. But we werent happy with that and asked be changed to a different room.
So we were shown a room on the ground floor just behind reception. It was marginally better - cooler and with less mozzies. It also had a double bed which I had requested (it was twin beds in the other room). We asked the staff to spray the room while we were out, which they did.
When we came back we paid and found that they had added about $20 in taxes onto the advertised price, which we were not happy with, but couldnt do anything about. So instead of paying US$76 we paid US$95 for what should be listed as a 2 star hotel at best.
The paint is peeling and the door in the bathroom didnt close properly.
My advice is to stay at a local guesthouse a few streets back from the beach and save your money for something worthwhile. If you really have to stay here demand a room overlooking the pool - they're the ones we stayed in before and hopefully they're in better shape.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travellingirl153
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2013

we stayed here for 14 nts B & B (room 3) the room was basic not worth the money we paid but clean in fact the only good part was the cleaners Jerani & Remoshan who would clean every day if you wanted and were very helpful,the rest of the staff were terrible the managment were full of there own importance the catering staff catered for the long stay customers (3-6months stay) dutch -swedish who were rude when you said good morning they just dead eyed you
reserving tables for them and waiting on when the rest of the tables were used they were not reset and you had to ask for knife & forks which you might get an hour later if lucky the toaster only toasted one side of the bread although after asking the top manager a new one was installed sometimes the chef was not about to cook eggs ended up cooking them myself one morning
reception staff were all surly and useless i was left a very important message which i did not get and when we ordered a taxi for thye airport two days in advance it wasnt there and they had to call the lad in from his day off to take us three parts of an hour later only cold water at the sink in the bathroom no compliments at all not a 3* dont do it stay away

Room Tip: rooms 14-25 seem the best
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank john h
goldenst, Owner at Golden Star Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2013
i Should be thank full to this particular guest for bringing out most of the short coming at the restaurant.
I noticed the reservation pattern of the table only after the comment made by the above guest, Immediately the reservation system was changed and all guest can use whatever the table available free.

We made new changes in the way of service after briefing all staff about equal service to all clients in spite of ethnicity and country. It made us to have proper training to our service personal

Our hotel is fast developing after going through Trip Adviser notices, which helps in providing better service to the clients.
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 21 January 2013

I stayed for one night at the hotel. It is (or was) the initial hotel on the Intrepid travel agency tour of Sri Lanka in 2012. Perhaps because we were only staying one night I may have ended up with an ugly little box of a room. It did have a balcony but it overlooked the adjacent property which had a lot of garbage on it and some mangey dogs: welcome to the third world! I did not use balcony due to the very high humidity during the daytime and also because at dawn and dusk I was afraid of getting bitten by mosquitoes. Since there was an open little window from the bathroom to the outdoors, the mosquitoes could enter that way, and bothered me when I showered or was on the can or at the sink. The white walls helped me hunt them down and kill them (I didn't want to get any nasty disease from having been bitten) but Sri Lankan mosquitoes were wily: much wilier than any mosquitoes I have encountered in North America, Hawaii, England, the Carribeean, central america, Bolivia.... Since the room had no net, I had to bring one all the way from Canada. All of the other hotels on our 2 week tour had nets, so just because of this place (and my Doctor's warning) I had to haul a net around on the tour.
The hotel itself including the lobby seemed to be very clean and nice. In the midst of a reno...it will look nice when done. The pool also looked very attractive. Nice size.
Breakfast buffet was very extensive but there were a lot of houseflies on the pastries. Flies on food seemed to be a standard thing in Sri Lanka. Sorry I don't like eating fly poop! Try putting something over the food to cover it, eh?
I was told by people who arrived at the hotel a day or two before our trip officially began that they were generally harrassed by touts on the beach and that there was a lot of garbage on the beach and in the water. There were also touts in the town e.g., guys striking up a conversation by claiming to work at the hotel the woman is staying at; taxi drivers demanding ridiculous fares from tired tourists who forgot to agree on the fare before the taxi set off (FATAL error!). I had known about these "risks" already, thanks to tripadvisor members! I was glad that, as a single woman, I did not come to Sri Lanka a day or two early and stay alone at this hotel, for these reasons. When I walk on the beach I want to walk in peace. And I want a clean beach and safe swim (no garbage) The beach at Mirissa fit that bill (we stayed there two nights on our tour)
Room was very basic/spartan. I checked out the hotel prices before deciding NOT to add an extra night to my stay and although I don't recall the quoted room rate with certainty (maybe $130 US), I recall that it was relatively pricey. This room should have been priced at only $80 in my view. It was a plain box.
Nice or rather wonderful breezes at night...so nice to be at the ocean. Hence the high room rate, I guess.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank TorontoCarol
wexford, ireland
Reviewed 17 December 2012

I have previously written glowing reports about hotels on Tripadvisor, and I often wondered what kind of cranks or fusspots write bad reviews, but this hotel has opened my eyes.

It is, in my opinion, worse than the worst youth hostel imaginable. Ants in the bed, cockroaches, a smell of bad plumbing and stale urine in the bedroom, no cleaning of my room at all during a three night stay, dangerous electrical wiring, thin foam rubber mattress, sheets too small for the bed, no hot water in bathroom, no shampoo, no bedside lights, live music being played and amplified twenty feet from my bedroom window late at night...

However, I don't want to be all negative! The breakfast was reasonably good, although disorganised. My friend's room was cleaned even though mine wasn't. The pool appeared clean, although I didn't use it, and the wi-fi worked satisfactorily.

We had booked two rooms for three nights on the internet so we were stuck with it. The photos on Booking.com appeared attractive, but we didn't check with Tripadvisor. Please, dear reader, if you really MUST book this hotel book just one night initially so that you have the option to move the next day to another hotel or to one of the many excellent guesthouses available at less than half the price. There are plenty from which to choose.

My friend and I decided not to make a fuss and simply to get on with enjoying our holiday, and we both feel we will dine out for some time on our experiences in The Golden Star Beach Hotel.

Room Tip: Stay in a different hotel if you want a good room!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank dreamont
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed 12 December 2012

we stayed for one night with our two kids. food and swimming pool is very good and the beach is the place where my too kids played. very friendly staff and clean rooms and good quality bed and interior design also very much apprciated. can recomment the place for groups , famity trip.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family