Golden Star Beach Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$146
Pledge 3(Negombo)
US$114
TripAdvisor
Jetwing Sea(Negombo)
All reviewsnice hotela sea view roompool barwater pressurebuffet breakfastnice beach
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 December 2013

The location is near airport. So it's very convenient.
The buffet foods in the restaurant is nice (compare to the restaurants around that area).
I enjoyed the Ayurvedic massage at the Lotus Spa inside the hotel.
It was nice a massage with reasonable price (90mins = US$35).

However, there was a band music at the restaurant on the weekend.
So if your room is near that part, you'll hear the music in your room as it was quite loud.
It wasn't really bother me but some other guests might be annoyed?

The hotel has beautiful beach at the back. I wished I had an extra day to enjoy the pool and the beach view.

Room Tip: Choose the ground floor and avoid close to the restaurant area. Try Lotus Spa!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 December 2013

I stayed for just 6 hours.......arrived at 3.00 am and left at 9.00 am. I could get a quick sleep and again a quick bite.
The room given at far end (29A ) was just OK. The central switch (accessible with plastic of door key) was difficult to find as it was partly behind wardrobe. The breakfast spread was good.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Stayed at Dons Hotel next door but used Golden Star for meals and other services. The staff here were great - no complaints. Waitresses in the dining area especially were first class. However, the hotel was let down by poor management and expensive additional services. I gave them 6 items for laundry, but only 4 were returned. They refused to compensate me for the loss and even insisted that I pay for the laundering of the 2 missing items. Also not impressed by the cost (2,000 rupees) of the taxi to the airport. Its a real pity as the working staff were first class. They deserve better managers.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
goldenst, Manager at Golden Star Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2013

We are sorry for the loss of your laundry. We as management would not appreciate a complaint like this. Because the laundry was returned to you three days prior to your complaint and you did not check the laundry whether there is anything missing until the last day you were leaving. We would have done a proper check if you have given us more time plus our house keeper always check it before handing the items. We offered you to give us your contact details so we can investigate and return back to you with a refund for the loss if it is our mistake.

For the charge of the taxi to the airport that is our standard rate and you could have used any alternative if you wish.

Reviewed 20 November 2013

The hotel provides direct access to the beach. It has a cocktail bar with ocean views, with staff who will try to make cocktails to your own tastes. Many rooms open out to garden or the pool. The pool was popular, and looked clean and sparkly. Breakfast was included in our one-night stay, and there was a good selection of fruit, fresh-cooked omelettes, cereals, etc. The room AC and TV worked well, and beds were ok. WIFI was ok, but only in one spot in the room. The bathroom did not have a fan, or window we could open (as our room opened onto a corridor) so you could find it best to prop the door open when out of the room. We picked the hotel because it is only 15 minutes by car to the airport, and it was on the beach. We found about five basic restaurants within a few minutes walk. The hotel is not new, and you will find it dated, but it was fine for a non-fancy stay.

Room Tip: Ask for lawn or pool view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2013 via mobile

Turned up with a quiet reception. Staff took my details then sat me down to get my details ready then served and showed to their rooms the next 2 sets of guests that turned up after me. Not a good start!!!

Was finally shown to room 32. The room in itself is fine bar that it is from what I can see the only room that looks onto the road, incredibly noisy and right above the local taxi rank. Most other rooms look onto the pool which is quiet. In addition wifi only available in the lobby not the room. For this lack of tranquility I paid a whopping £50. If you go to a lovely hotel 5 minutes down the road called the ice bear you get a room for £16 none of which are directly onto the road. Overall this room ruined my first night in Sri Lanka. I complained to staff to move me but they said they were full. However I watched a stream of people pour in all day and there were Definitely rooms that were quieter available.

Expensive hotel with lots of cheaper options neighbouring. And if you get room 32 you are guaranteed a sleepless night. Not worth the money.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo