“A rough diamond”

Golden Star Beach Hotel
Ranked #36 of 43 Hotels in Negombo
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my traveling partner for three nights at the start of our 3 weeks around Sri Lanka. We checked in around 10.30pm and we still got a welcome drink. Check in was smooth and we were shown to our room. We had room 22, I am not sure if it is refurbished room. Initially I thought this place is dated, the room okay but thought the price is great value and it's night time, give it a go. In the morning we saw the place in different eyes. The pool is well looked after, and the resort had direct access to the beach with sun chairs under the coconut trees. We walked along the beach and thought the beach access and sun chairs are better then other places along the beach. The pool bar staff were excellent, the sport staff very welcoming playing badminton and beach cricket with us. Chemit has a great bowling arm!! The buffet breakfast has a decent range and offers an egg station. There are people who walk along the beach trying to sell souvenirs etc they can get pushy. The cataman salesman was good value and we took them up on the offer to go out on the cataman. It is safe and fun. Overall you should like this place if you don't look for faults. The place is a little dated but we had so much fun here. I had 11 pieces of laundry washed - got it back the next day. The room is made up daily and complimentary tea and coffee is available is the room plus daily water. Internet access is available for free in public areas only - no access in the room. Try and get a room pool side or around the inner court yard like we did, the ones facing the street might be noisy. The resort had a wedding whilst we were here and we could here a murmur where we were. Thank you Golden Star, I had a great time.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Victorianew
There are newer reviews for Golden Star Beach Hotel

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Nice large rooms. Beach and Pool view from the room. Breakfast is OK.

No water. Stinking rooms. Laid back staff. Room was not cleaned for days. Only after multiple reminders, the staff cleaned our room. They misled us in the New Year Party after the payment was made. Beware of hidden charges.

Room Tip: Room 219 with Beach and Pool view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Heading to negombo from colombo.. finally found this hotel .. as scheduled by my tour package ,me and my mom will stay for one night here. View from outside its nice and the back of this hotel already beachside .... unfortunately I was so tired so i just getting around hotel area for awhile and take more rest for next day.
The room they gave me was a triple bed , and its quite big for me and my mom ... Clean and acceptable , the hotel must renovation for dirty tap n bathroom interior .
Wifi free only at lobby .... We got welcome drink also while check in...
The restarurant is near pool area, Food taste quite good .

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Good location near the beach. Check-in process was a bit confusing and took a while. Room was nice and had all I needed except a fridge. Bed was a bit hard and short. Good WIFI. Breakfast was ok. Pool is nice.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

The driver arrived a little late but we were fine to wait at the airport. The reception was open on our arrival after midnight. The room was renovated it had air con, hot water and was well presented. Breakfast was simple but did the job. Overall we had a pleasurable stay and well worth the money. The beach was nice and not too many people around.

Stayed: January 2557, travelled as a couple
2  Thank shakwij
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I am giving this hotel a better rating than it deserved as the newly renovated rooms look lovely. However, we did not get one. Our room was last decorated around 1979 at a guess. It was scruffy, grubby incredibly run down and shabby. The resort however was fine so just make sure you request a new refurb room. The staff at the pool bar were lovely. The pool well kept. Steps down to the nice beach ( lots of touts though ) food was not too great, but there are lots of local food places on the street outside. Lots of local shops fo last minute gifts etc. I think this is a perfect first or last 1 or 2 night stop off for the airport but no longer.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2014

we went to negambo to spend the xmas of 2013, We stayed here over night. The first impression wasn't a good one. When we went for lunch buffet, there were a big local crowd drunken and making a lot of noise reminding us of a local market place. Not what you expect when you are out with the family. Lunch was less than ordinary.
Rooms were ok, but the bath rooms were small with damaged fittings, and really less than average. Room service was terrible.
The beach is right in front, so that's a plus point. And the breakfast was really good.
also there were many lapses in the booking process, even after I made the payment in advance my name was not in the booking list when I inquired, two days before. Gave me a shock, but after many inquiries, they told that the booking was made.
overall, my advice is if you have to stay at this place just stay for B & B. There are plenty of nice restaurants close by like the king coconut and cafe d, for you to have meals.
I stayed at the hotel Goldi sands, some time back, and it was far better than this.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family