“Great service but needs refurbishment”

Paradise Beach Hotel
Ranked #14 of 43 Hotels in Negombo
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We stayed for 3 nights before starting a tour, the staff were friendly and helpful and the food from the restaurant was very good during all meals.

We asked to be moved from our first room as the door to the balcony did not lock and almost all the furniture was damaged. Our second room was a little better but not much. The pool area was tired and needs to be painted and re-tiled as well as weeds removing from between the tiles.

The quality of the staff made up for the decor and I am sure when a refurbishment is completed this hotel will receive far more favorable reviews. If visiting Negombo again I would put up with the room quality and stay at this hotel again based on the staff.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the refurbished rooms they display pictures off in reception.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank walts82
There are newer reviews for Paradise Beach Hotel

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Old and very tired hotel.

Check in very cold, staff not welcoming, I guess they are tired working in such a tired environment...

Rooms need an urgent urgent URGENT refurb !!! The wooden tiles came off the floor in my room, the bed was not comfortable, smelly and the not clean. Very filthy.

Pool area very small and 80's style. Sun lounges old and dirty. Food and drinks overpriced.

I heard they will start renovating the place soon...please start today, because I felt ripped off paying 75$ for a night !!!

Never again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Tobi1985
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I stayed at the Paradise for 10 days and the staff made my stay very pleasant, The hotel is on the beach, not the best beach in Sri Lanka, I agree but the sunset is beautiful. The pool is very pleasant and will be even better when they replace the surrounding tiles which are a little uneven at present.
The rooms will be refurbished in May and will be very nice with a fridge, flat screen TV and a nice bathroom. I saw one during my stay and I was impressed. Try to book the east side and the 2nd or 3rd floor for a perfect seaview. One problem was that the AC unit on the balcony made it very hot to sit there unless you turned off the AC before venturing out.
The hotel is nicely situated amoungst restaurants and shops in the main street.
The food was good enough for breakfast but I cannot comment on dinner as I only tried the restaurant once.
A lot of guests seem to use the hotel at the end of a tour as it is so near the airport but I met 2 couples who stay there 3 times a year for a month at the time and who seem to be part of the family.
The best thing is the staff, the reception and restaurant staff specially. Dilshan at reception answered my many queries with a smile and the front office manager took me personally to the doctor when I felt ill, a visit organised by the manager Mr. Croos with a half hour notice.
I look forward to my next visit next year when the hotel has been refurbished. Hopefully the restaurant staff will have perfected their French by then, they were trying very hard to learn new phrases everyday.

Room Tip: East side 2nd or 3rd floor
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Marie-Claude A
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We stayed there for 1 night in the end of our stay in Sri Lanka (wanted to be close to the airport). We didn´t have a reservation so we just let a tuk tuk to drive us there. Asked for a room with sea view, they showed us the "superior" room with a "sea view". There was no sea view - there was a pool view - you could see the sea when you leaned out of the balcony - and some liquid was tripping from above. The sheets were really dirty - they had many black staines on them and there were no towels nor toiletaries in the bathroom. When asked where are the towels they went to get them but after we chouse another room they took the towels away again. When we asked about the sheets - would it be possible to change them they didn´t understand what´s wrong with them. The carpets were also really dirty. I went to the recception and asked maybe they have some other rooms - with sea view. The guy from the recception said that yes, they have but this room will not be superior, just a standard room. I was fine with it and the "standard" room had a sea view and was much cleaner. It also had AC and the only difference was that this room didn´t have flat screen tv nor class wall in the bathroom. We were much happier with that standard room. When asked what was the price for it the guy told that it costs the same - he just made a special offer to us for superior room. Right. The stuff was really rude and cold there. We had travelled around Sri lanka for 2 weeks and that was the most expensive and most unpleasent stay we had there. Also there was a cockroach in our bathroom which was really disgusting. So beware. Also the a/c thing was on the balcony so when you sat on balcony it blows hot air on the balcony. Breakfast was nice but the overall service below average. Wouldn´t go there again!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kaire S
Reviewed 2 April 2014

stayed for 2weeks here on top floor with amazing views,very clean and staff very helpful,rooms cleaned every day with fresh towels.the rooms are spacious if a little tired breakfast was great plenty of choice good position for bars and eateries and only half an hour from airport,would reccomend to fellow travellers

Room Tip: top floor room
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cjpenn9
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Good place to stay when first arriving in Sri lanka.The hotel has approx 60 rooms with sea view.The rooms are large and clean with older style air con.The food in the hotel is ok and probably just as cheap to eat and drink there as outside of the hotel.It has a nice large pool area,with a pub like bar serving good snacks.Looks like mainly catering for Germans,lots of books on unoccupied sun chairs etc.A hotel shuttle from the airport is USD22

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed at Paradise beach hotel for 4 days. The staff service is very good, the food is excellent and the ambience is the icing on the cake. Not to forget, the beach by this hotel. Relaxing!!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business