“Not a palace, but worth the money I paid”
Review of Topaz Beach Hotel

Topaz Beach Hotel
Ranked #27 of 41 Hotels in Negombo
Auroville, India
“Not a palace, but worth the money I paid”
Reviewed 27 February 2013

For the 50 Plus dollars I paid, Topaz was a decent choice. The building is a neat block. There are 2 ATMs right outside and so you dont have to have to go looking for money. There are some excellent restaurants all around and many of them have reliable WIFI. The hotel itself had some problems with its WIFI. But they spent time fixing it and rallied round me till they fixed it. So I cant complain. It is bang on the beach so it is really relaxing and the ambience is terrific. The room was basic. It was clean and the bathroom was decent too. I would recommend this hotel for the budget traveller without hesitation.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Arabic first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2013

We arrived tired to find our pre-booked room had been given away. The alternative hotel offered had a noisy, smelly room that we rejected. We were then offered a 4th floor airless room with no aircon in the Topaz and finally we accepted a renevated room at Silvas Beach Hotel. We had our bill reduced to reflect the cheaper accommadation and were given a complimentary breakfast. They then proceeded to have numerous goes at taking the money, even wanting me to give them my pin number and then declaring my card to be at fault. I rang the credit card company( the hotel staff dialed the number), learned my card was fine and another person put the payment through straight away. When we checked out we were charged about £2.50 for the phone call.
We had paid for a delux room and got an old portable tv and large old fridge unlike we saw in other rooms. Our room was shabby. There were holes in the curtains and bottom sheet. The bathroom was far fom spotless with the sealant round the bath filthy and a dirty shower curtain. The water was too cold to wash my hair properly- I think we wereat the end of the the run of pipe.
THE PUBLIC AREAS WERE MUCH BETTER WITH SOME GOOD NEW FURNITURE. THE POOL WAS ONLY CLEANED EVERY 3 DAYS BUT WAS FINE.
The beakfast was adequate and the lady cooking the eggs did so with a gloved hand.
The transport arranged through the hotel to the airport was good.
This hotel needs the rooms renovating and a different attitude towards customer service.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the modern ones and test the hot water on arrival befor accepting the room.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Negombo hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 6 January 2013

After a long flight, Topaz Beach Hotel is near the airport and was a good place for us to rest before starting our holiday in Sri Lanka. First we wanted to only stay a night, but when we found it was right on the beach we decided to extend. We got a good sea view room, the room was clean and basic with a comfy bed. I did not like the chairs in the room, would prefer if they had sofas. Two of my daughters enjoyed playing in the beach and swimming in the hotel pool. The breakfast was good, but would have preferred a buffet. Overall this hotel is worth for the money you pay.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Thane, India
Reviewed 1 December 2012

Been to topaz beach hotel only for one day, hotel location is good, about less than a half mile, rooms are clean, but not up to the mark, lots of ant problems in the room, kitchen staff unable to understand English, hard to get the food, lot of street boys comes to the beach as soon as they saw any tourist on the beach, try to grab valuable things, will not recommend this to anybody.

Room Tip: If anybody going for a family trip, not recommending this hotel, avoid it.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Sydney
Reviewed 18 November 2012 via mobile

So the rooms aren't fantastic or overly modern but they are clean. The bed sheet although clean had a few holes. Tv and fridge in room. This place is well located right on the beach and within 1min walk of many of the bars and restaurant reviewed on TA such as Lords etc. Only a 400r tuk tuk from the train. The staff have been nothing short of friendly and very helpful. There is also a post office service located in the lobby. Given many places are over US $70 per night, this was reasonable. My experience has not been like other reviews, perhaps it just did not meet their expectations.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Redmushrooom
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Ended my wonderful weeks holiday spent in Hikkaduwa with 2 nights before departing in this awful hotel !!! Dirty rooms , curtains dont shut properly , Mouldy smell , never got my room cleaned ,poor lights , bathroom like a public toilet at a bustop , only sells local spirits and beer , no wine available, was told my friends can not visit me in the room ( maybe a blessing as rooms were embrassing ) No water , no coffee or tea, when I asked for a blanket for the bed they responded as if I was nuts , no safe and generally overpriced for what you get !!! HORRIBLE PLACE !!!! STAY AWAY !!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel !!!!
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank TyronMuscat
Sokolov, Czech Republic
Reviewed 25 October 2012

My only advice-travel through this beautiful island and you´ll see that there are more important things than criticize hotels just because they are not like other hotels somewhere in "richer" countries..You have to get to know SriLankan people and culture little bit, and then you criticize:)
Also, we came to Negombo two days before our holiday finished. Our van driver from Colombo recomended us this hotel. (as you probably know, many people in Lanka work for commission, but why not..once more-very poor country). So we checked-in immediately, got room no.1, large A/C double bedroom with bathroom in it, nice view on the sea and swimming pool. Price was 6000LKR. Staff was very friendly (turned on the pool lights in the evening as I wanted to use the pool even if I was the only one at the moment). Food was ok (the same as wherever else on Lanka). Only thing I was not happy about was a fact, that they charged us half day (3000LKR) just because we kindly asked them if we could stay some time after checkout time (3 pm and our flight departed 3 am..). There were many empty rooms, so they could have done this for us..So we payed half price and they allowed us to stay just to 8pm. So, for those who feel like travelers more than just "beachstaying" lovers I can recommend this hotel..

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple